The Student Room Group

Graduates on a 5-year Medicine course

I'm sure there are many of these threads out there but I'm struggling to find them because TSR noob.

I was just wondering whether universities would still look at my A-Level grades if I apply to the 5-year Medicine course as a graduate. Or would they just look at my A-Level subjects? There's a difference between looking at just the subjects and the grades obviously.

I've done Biology, German, Chemistry to A-Level and French to AS - AABb grades in that order. Many 5-year courses obviously need AAA, so does this mean I have to resit my Chemistry modules?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nautic4l
I'm sure there are many of these threads out there but I'm struggling to find them because TSR noob.

I was just wondering whether universities would still look at my A-Level grades if I apply to the 5-year Medicine course as a graduate. Or would they just look at my A-Level subjects? There's a difference between looking at just the subjects and the grades obviously.

I've done Biology, German, Chemistry to A-Level and French to AS - AABb grades in that order. Many 5-year courses obviously need AAA, so does this mean I have to resit my Chemistry modules?

That will really depend on which 5-year courses you apply to. Check out each medical school's admissions requirements individually. It'll be a case of some might require an A in Chemistry, others won't.
Reply 2
As far as I am aware neither Exeter nor Plymouth 5 year courses care about your previous qualifications as a graduate. But you do have to sit the GAMSAT as a requirement which covers these bases.
A few schools require you to meet the typical offer for their school leavers (eg, Edinburgh up to last year), but they are in a definite minority. Most will make an offer based on your degree classification (usually 2.1 minimum), plus UKCAT/GAMSAT/BMAT and other criteria. This may or may not include A-level grades as a part of the weighting, but I'd say more often than not they only look at your degree result. Often there will be a minimum grade required for chemistry and/or biology (unless your degree covers that requirement), but I've seen everywhere from A to C for a minimum Chemistry grade.

This, for example, is the information on the Bart's page, which is pretty typical for 5-year courses:

Graduates who apply for the five-year programmes and four-year GEP programme who meet the minimum academic criteria will be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to 50:50 weighting applied to the UKCAT score and academic ability as measured using a points weighting of degree classification or postgraduate degrees.

There must have been a significant component of biology and chemistry in your degree programme, at least equivalent to AS-level. Alternatively, you must have achieved grades of at least BB in A-level biology and chemistry prior to starting your degree or you must be completing or have completed AS-levels in chemistry and biology and be predicted/achieved B grades in both.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey, I got shocking A levels a few years back, but have a degree in biomed. I applied for Kings 5 year, Dundee 5 year, Barts 4 year, Barts 5 Year. For my application I filtered all the ones I was eligible for then called up the admissions to make sure I was a strong candidate and boom! this September I start at Kings! It can be done!
Reply 5
Original post by Medic-Kate
Hey, I got shocking A levels a few years back, but have a degree in biomed. I applied for Kings 5 year, Dundee 5 year, Barts 4 year, Barts 5 Year. For my application I filtered all the ones I was eligible for then called up the admissions to make sure I was a strong candidate and boom! this September I start at Kings! It can be done!

Hey that's awesome! Congrats :smile:

Where's your degree being done?

What experience did you have and degree classification? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Nautic4l
Hey that's awesome! Congrats :smile:

Where's your degree being done?

I did my degree at Nottingham Trent university, applied biomedical sciences. It's really helped as I have been able to work to fund the 5 years which is obviously another huge barrier 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by hellodave5
What experience did you have and degree classification? :smile:

I got a 2.1 in my degree. However I think my work experience really helped my application (kings assess your ps so it played to my strengths)
I have around 10 years experience in healthcare:
2 years first aid at extreme sports centre
6 years HCA/trainee dispenser community pharmacy
1 year HCA surgical ward
1 year home care and learning disability events coordinator
1 year HCA operating theatres
4 years as qualified biomedical scientist with some phlebotomy training

It was a lot to squeeze in (these jobs overlapped in some areas) but it's also helped fund my previous degree, it also I think made interview prep a bit easier as I had lots of examples to draw from so i felt I could just talk rather than give preprepared answers 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi all!

i'm due to graduate in june but cannot apply to undergrad as i simply cannot afford it!!
i really think that its unfair that we cannot borrow our tuition fees for a second degree when they have JUST made them available as of this year for nursing, midwifery and all other ahp courses but not medicine!!
i know its a massive longshot but i want to start a petition regarding it - i need people to back me up for it to get off the ground
started this thread if anyones interested!! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post63586151

sorry for the rant but i've been so upset about this and decided i needed to at least try and make a difference!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hopefulGEM17
hi all!

i'm due to graduate in june but cannot apply to undergrad as i simply cannot afford it!!
i really think that its unfair that we cannot borrow our tuition fees for a second degree when they have JUST made them available as of this year for nursing, midwifery and all other ahp courses but not medicine!!
i know its a massive longshot but i want to start a petition regarding it - i need people to back me up for it to get off the ground
started this thread if anyones interested!! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post63586151

sorry for the rant but i've been so upset about this and decided i needed to at least try and make a difference!

Hey, I know it's upsetting. I've signed a few petitions in the past (I graduated in 2011 and had the same thoughts) however the government are just not interested.
What I would say if you're still determined to do it is try and get a really high ukcat and degree classification and apply to your strengths - I thought I had no hope, but with a little investigation of the med schools I got in
E.g bad a levels - apply somewhere that doesn't consider them
Poor gcse's - apply somewhere that doesn't look at them
Less work exp - don't apply to places like Warwick where they want 70 hours plus
The things that can really increase your chances are in your power now so smash your degree and get the best ukcat - and if you need help just ask 😊
P.s. I've also signed the petition. But I wouldn't expect change - just look at the way the government treats our current Drs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I know it's upsetting. I've signed a few petitions in the past (I graduated in 2011 and had the same thoughts) however the government are just not interested.
What I would say if you're still determined to do it is try and get a really high ukcat and degree classification and apply to your strengths - I thought I had no hope, but with a little investigation of the med schools I got in
E.g bad a levels - apply somewhere that doesn't consider them
Not strong gcse's - apply somewhere that doesn't look at them
Less work exp - don't apply to places like Warwick where they want 70 hours plus
The things that can really away your chances are in your power now so smash your degree and get the best ukcat - and if you need help just ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go you for being determined enough to get round the barriers. admire the fact you got on with it and earned it.

I think its completely unrealistic to expect the government to change at the moment, they are all about cutting. Drs in any form arent the most popular pressure group with them either, so i think any petition has no chance.
In contrast a petition on nurses bursaries took 2 days to get to its target.
I think the reason they won't fund a second full degree for medicine is that they don't need to. There are plenty of first time undergraduates wanting to be doctors. Why spend tax payers money when they don't need to. Nursing is different as fewer people choose nursing first time round and there is a higher drop out rate.
This was the one for nursing
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/113491

150,000 sigs

People supported it really quickly.
I got a 2.1 in my degree. However I think my work experience really helped my application (kings assess your ps so it played to my strengths)
I have around 10 years experience in healthcare:
2 years first aid at extreme sports centre
6 years HCA/trainee dispenser community pharmacy
1 year HCA surgical ward
1 year home care and learning disability events coordinator
1 year HCA operating theatres
4 years as qualified biomedical scientist with some phlebotomy training

It was a lot to squeeze in (these jobs overlapped in some areas) but it's also helped fund my previous degree, it also I think made interview prep a bit easier as I had lots of examples to draw from so i felt I could just talk rather than give preprepared answers 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's brilliant Kate!
Soooo much experience.

Looking forwards to starting? :biggrin:
That's brilliant Kate!
Soooo much experience.

Looking forwards to starting? :biggrin:

Thank you 😊
I cannot wait! I have this summer to earn the rest of my tuition fees so feels like forever but if I've waited 8 years, another few months I can handle 😁

I hope it gives people hope that it can be done, even if you didn't have the right start or don't have the funds.

Good luck everyone and feel free to ask any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you 😊
I cannot wait! I have this summer to earn the rest of my tuition fees so feels like forever but if I've waited 8 years, another few months I can handle 😁

I hope it gives people hope that it can be done, even if you didn't have the right start or don't have the funds.

Good luck everyone and feel free to ask any questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, not long at all to go!!
How old does that make you now, if you don't mind me asking :P. People, including myself, often think about 'how late is too late?'. Not that it is ever too late :smile:
Are you doing the GEM or undergrad course? Just wondering, as funding for undergrad is an astonishing amount to have in the bank at the ready.
Yeah, not long at all to go!!
How old does that make you now, if you don't mind me asking :P. People, including myself, often think about 'how late is too late?'. Not that it is ever too late :smile:
Are you doing the GEM or undergrad course? Just wondering, as funding for undergrad is an astonishing amount to have in the bank at the ready.

I'm 26 about to start undergrad, however I know of people in their mid 30's who have just started - question really is whether you can be happy and not do it or whether you can't imagine doing anything else...
I chose not to be filled with regret years down the line.

There are private finance companies that can fund some of it but I don't think for the first year - it's a lot of money yes, but if you're determined then it can be done. I also plan to work part time to help fund subsequent years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

What exactly were your A-Level grades, if you don't mind me asking?

I only ask because my grades aren't amazing, although I would still love to do medicine. I have an offer for biomedical science from QMUL, so I'm hoping to ace my degree and get a place on their graduate entry course.

I'm taking a gap year and thinking of working as a HCA, what was the process like when applying to become one? How valuable do you think the experience was in getting your place? How did you find the job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 26 about to start undergrad, however I know of people in their mid 30's who have just started - question really is whether you can be happy and not do it or whether you can't imagine doing anything else...
I chose not to be filled with regret years down the line.

There are private finance companies that can fund some of it but I don't think for the first year - it's a lot of money yes, but if you're determined then it can be done. I also plan to work part time to help fund subsequent years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for the reply Kate!
Awesome getting in, and still young too.
The finance is the main concern for me. £40k isn't something I can see myself conjuring up anytime soon. Sort of nudges me towards something like clinical neuropsychology or scientist as an alternative, even though I think I would much prefer medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending