The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How much does it cost to live in London? Is it worth it?

I'm (hopefully) going to UCL this september and I'm applying for student finace atm. How much maintenance loan should I apply for? What is the average spend per month? Is it really that expensive to live in London and is it worth it?
Apply for the max amount, it is expensive to live and travel in London.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
Apply for the max amount, it is expensive to live and travel in London.

Lol that doesn't sound too good... I'm supposed to be joining UCL this september for Econ. The thing is I'm an international student living in the UK, but we are not that rich but I will pay intl fees+ accommodation+ living costs, with no help at all.
Do you know any scholarships that fit my bill?
Personally, no it's not worth it. That's why I'll be turning down my UCL offer to go for Warwick.

I'm of the opinion that, given I'm going to uni that is as targeted by top employers and that draws several of these employers on campus every year. It'd make more sense not to starve myself for 3-4 years, when I'll ultimately end up on London after uni with a well paying job anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Personally, no it's not worth it. That's why I'll be turning down my UCL offer to go for Warwick.

I'm of the opinion that, given I'm going to uni that is as targeted by top employers and that draws several of these employers on campus every year. It'd make more sense not to starve myself for 3-4 years, when I'll ultimately end up on London after uni with a well paying job anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about other considerations like social life, etc.? These are non-negligible. Being just outside coventry isn't exactly ideal if you want to have fun every once and a while.

I notice you applied to Bristol and Oxford too-- were there less successful applications? These universities seem to offer the best of both worlds.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathstatician
What about other considerations like social life, etc.? These are non-negligible. Being just outside coventry isn't exactly ideal if you want to have fun every once and a while.

I notice you applied to Bristol and Oxford too-- were there less successful applications? These universities seem to offer the best of both worlds.

- Career related societies usually hold balls and regular sponsored nights out. There's even a few international trips every year
- Birmingham and Leamington are close by for any big nights out
- Student-run events and nights out on campus are numerous

As far as I can tell, there's plenty of opportunities to have fun and uni life can be as hectic or boring as one can make it; ultimately boiling down to who you hang out with whilst there.

Oxford was a rejection, yeah. Bristol, I'll be insuring just need to go for a pre-offer visit day before my offer comes through.

Don't get me wrong, a city would be exciting but London's prices are just way out of reach for me. Especially as I don't get the extra London weighting on my loan as I'll be coming down from Scotland where the extra loan was axed in 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
- Career related societies usually hold balls and regular sponsored nights out. There's even a few international trips every year
- Birmingham and Leamington are close by for any big nights out
- Student-run events and nights out on campus are numerous

As far as I can tell, there's plenty of opportunities to have fun and uni life can be as hectic or boring as one can make it; ultimately boiling down to who you hang out with whilst there.

Oxford was a rejection, yeah. Bristol, I'll be insuring just need to go for a pre-offer visit day before my offer comes through.

Don't get me wrong, a city would be exciting but London's prices are just way out of reach for me. Especially as I don't get the extra London weighting on my loan as I'll be coming down from Scotland where the extra loan was axed in 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shame about the loan.

So are you going to warwick over bristol mostly because of the 'ranking' for maths/cs? My understanding was they are quite comparable. Idk. Personally, I think Bristol and Nottingham would have been my choices give what you (Except) to be left. Different priorities, I guess.

Best of luck either way.
Original post by Mathstatician
Shame about the loan.

So are you going to warwick over bristol mostly because of the 'ranking' for maths/cs? My understanding was they are quite comparable. Idk. Personally, I think Bristol and Nottingham would have been my choices give what you (Except) to be left. Different priorities, I guess.

Best of luck either way.

Warwick's Maths department is simply one of the best, not just ranking wise but in general. Plus, it's more targeted by the types of employers I'm interested in (IB/Finance) than the latter two - not to say the other two aren't targeted, they are but not to the same extent. On top of all of that, I'd have to say it was just the people I met when I visited that swayed me :smile:

In truth, you can't go wrong with any of Bristol/Warwick/Notts!

Thanks a tonne dude, good luck to you as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jwyl
is it worth it?

Nope.

Turned down Imperial because living in London is really overrated.
Original post by Alexion
Nope.

Turned down Imperial because living in London is really overrated.

What a waste
Original post by anonwinner
What a waste

Not really

Southampton's EE department is better than Imperial's anyway :yep:
Original post by Alexion
Not really

Southampton's EE department is better than Imperial's anyway :yep:

Not really aha
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Not really aha

Yup really

And **** living in London, no-one can persuade me it's a better choice
Well if it's any help you CAN do cheap and fun stuff if you know where to look: http://www.wonderlusteurope.com/10-things-to-do-in-london-for-10-and-under/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending