The Student Room Group

I can't afford to live away from home...

So another "I can't live away from home etc..." thread but due to the circumstances I'm currently in, this is slightly complicated. I'm hoping to move away from home for university and I'm considering firming UCL

First of all, my family aren't going to be contributing to my living costs if I do move away from home. I receive the full maintenance loan and I also should be receiving the UCL Undergraduate Bursary (due to my household income, I receive £1500), in total I receive about £12202

However based on 40 weeks, the estimated living costs are £13520 however I'd rather stay for the entire year (52 weeks) simply due to personal home circumstances. That means £17576 in total (in the event that I do stay for the entire year).
I know it's not exactly that great (in the event that I don't stay for the entire year, just during term times) but I'm really worried about what to do in general.

Yes, jobs can be help me and provide me some income however I'm not exactly comfortable working whilst studying. The other thing is that in the case that I do, does that mean that I can afford to live away from home for the entire year?

I've considered getting a UCL undergraduate access award however I've heard that it's quite difficult to actually get an access award/bursaries especially in UCL but in the case that I don't get one (due to the competition), what happens? Or what can I do?

Due to personal home circumstances, I need to move away from home otherwise things will only ever get more difficult :redface:
Get a job..

I know you don't feel comfortable working and studying but loads of people do it and you need that money so... Do it.
the estimated living costs are £13520

Where are you getting that figure from? Add all your sources of income for the academic year together, subtract your rent for the year (you may find that the halls accommodation contract only runs for 39 or 40 weeks, though), and divide what's left by 40 or 52. If that figure is more than £50 you should be okay.
The estimated living costs are almost always overinflated. If you budget properly and find yourself the cheapest accommodation (don't get en suite or luxury) you could live for the full year, even if it means going private accommodation or house sharing rather than uni accommodation which is almost always more expensive.

There is also nothing stopping you from trying to get a job over summer to try to save up money, you don't have the excuse of studying during that time.

You absolutely can afford to move out, question is what sacrifices are you willing to make?
Original post by Feraligatr
So another "I can't live away from home etc..." thread but due to the circumstances I'm currently in, this is slightly complicated. I'm hoping to move away from home for university and I'm considering firming UCL

First of all, my family aren't going to be contributing to my living costs if I do move away from home. I receive the full maintenance loan and I also should be receiving the UCL Undergraduate Bursary (due to my household income, I receive £1500), in total I receive about £12202

However based on 40 weeks, the estimated living costs are £13520 however I'd rather stay for the entire year (52 weeks) simply due to personal home circumstances. That means £17576 in total (in the event that I do stay for the entire year).
I know it's not exactly that great (in the event that I don't stay for the entire year, just during term times) but I'm really worried about what to do in general.

Yes, jobs can be help me and provide me some income however I'm not exactly comfortable working whilst studying. The other thing is that in the case that I do, does that mean that I can afford to live away from home for the entire year?

I've considered getting a UCL undergraduate access award however I've heard that it's quite difficult to actually get an access award/bursaries especially in UCL but in the case that I don't get one (due to the competition), what happens? Or what can I do?

Due to personal home circumstances, I need to move away from home otherwise things will only ever get more difficult :redface:

Understand that you are on a working class means to exist and London is a rich man's city.

If you choose University College London your going to be saddled with huge rent prices which will only increase year on year. The rent prices will also get higher during a recession because landlords like to increase prices during down times to protect themselves from loss of earnings.

Food prices down south are also 3 times higher than they are up north. Your going to need plenty of energy to work though a 3-4 year degree and doing it Oliver Twist style isn't going to help you.

There are lots of jobs in London but those jobs require you to cover vast distance to get to the job location with all the hassle of the London Underground and the stupid prices you get charged for transport.

Then also you have the issue with energy bills. Your going to paying on a pre-pay meter where your pay twice the cost as the average person and if you choose a bedsit with people you don't know you could end up with thousands of pounds of extra debt if they decide to bail with your name put in capital letters as the electricity & gas companies point of reference.

Basically for £12202 year you do not want to study in London. Your going to impoverish yourself! Go study some where like Hull, Nottingham or Sheffield and learn to speak Northerner.

Here is a video to help you.

[video="youtube;9IQem4nRSm4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IQem4nRSm4[/video]
Reply 5
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Where are you getting that figure from? Add all your sources of income for the academic year together, subtract your rent for the year (you may find that the halls accommodation contract only runs for 39 or 40 weeks, though), and divide what's left by 40 or 52. If that figure is more than £50 you should be okay.

That figure is from the UCL application form for their undergraduate access awards.

Original post by illegaltobepoor
xx

My parents aren't exactly going to allow me to move away from home (outside of London) for university though
That figure is from the UCL application form for their undergraduate access awards.

My parents aren't exactly going to allow me to move away from home (outside of London) for university though

Then do a degree at your local college or get an apprenticeship.

You really don't want to saddle yourself with a load of debt when we are at the verge of a 10-20 year stagnation / depression cycle. It will ruin you.

Your best getting some good high-tech vocational skills.
Reply 7
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Then do a degree at your local college or get an apprenticeship.

You really don't want to saddle yourself with a load of debt when we are at the verge of a 10-20 year stagnation / depression cycle. It will ruin you.

Your best getting some good high-tech vocational skills.

I want do a Chemistry degree, no apprenticeship will offer what a Chemistry degree offers.
Reply 8

Just get a summer easter christmas and term time job to try cover it all though balance it with school work

You are basing that on a 40 week stay in accommodation; realistically not many people stay in accommodation for the full length of the contract as they go home for at least part of the holidays. That will reduce your estimated living costs.

As others have said, you have a 3 month long summer this year + holidays next year in which you can work and save up some money. I would have also thought that you could work at least a few hours a week during term time without too much stress.
Original post by chem@uni
Just get a summer easter christmas and term time job to try cover it all though balance it with school work

Original post by BryonyG98
You are basing that on a 40 week stay in accommodation; realistically not many people stay in accommodation for the full length of the contract as they go home for at least part of the holidays. That will reduce your estimated living costs.

As others have said, you have a 3 month long summer this year + holidays next year in which you can work and save up some money. I would have also thought that you could work at least a few hours a week during term time without too much stress.

I've looked into online tutoring, on the basis that I spend about £60 on food and essentials and about £10 on travel (upper limits of course), I should be able to afford living away from home. (if I can do multiple sessions of tutoring for about £10+ an hour)
Fingers crossed I can make this work :colondollar:
I've looked into online tutoring, on the basis that I spend about £60 on food and essentials and about £10 on travel (upper limits of course), I should be able to afford living away from home. (if I can do multiple sessions of tutoring for about £10+ an hour)
Fingers crossed I can make this work :colondollar:

Although southern food prices are probably much worse than up north, i cant see anyone needing to spend £60 a week to feed just one person :smile:
you can choose to live outside of London, if your parents aren't supporting you anyway then there isn't much they can threaten you with

12k sounds like enough to live in London as a student to me, you're not going to be living the life of luxury but most students don't, you also might have to compromise on things like staying for the summer

your only option for getting more money would be working, you can work over the holidays if working alongside study is a problem
I want do a Chemistry degree, no apprenticeship will offer what a Chemistry degree offers.

Then go some where cheaper. We have the Tories in Gov who worship the market. If your poor you go to a poor country to study. Thats life now.
Hey, I live 5 minutes walk away from UCL (but go to KCL), in a relatively nice, 2 bed flat. My rent for the whole year is 9360, and as I'm in third year I receive less loan and grant (still the maximum though) which is £8987. I also receive a living bursary from KCL (£1500) so that takes me up to £10500. So you'll get almost 2 grand more than me. I also have no help from my parents (they cant afford to give me any money).

You can EASILY get a room in a relatively nice flat share for the whole year in the region of £7000-£10000. Mine is more expensive because of the central location and the fact it is only a 2-bed.

I'm left with £20-25 pounds a week for bills (gas included though) and food after rent, you would be left with around £50 if you payed the same rent as me. That would definitely be doable on a budget. I manage because I worked full time in the holidays and part-time during term time. I work for a waitressing agency and i basically work when I want (zero hour contract), so I worked a lot in September and October before I had any coursework due, but I didnt work at all last month because my dissertation was due in. You'll realise that most people at uni have part-time jobs/summer jobs, and you really should be able to mange the work load (unless you're doing medicine perhaps), I mean I mange fine and I'm in third year which has WAY more uni work that first year.
Original post by LiquidGold
Hey, I live 5 minutes walk away from UCL (but go to KCL), in a relatively nice, 2 bed flat. My rent for the whole year is 9360, and as I'm in third year I receive less loan and grant (still the maximum though) which is £8987. I also receive a living bursary from KCL (£1500) so that takes me up to £10500. So you'll get almost 2 grand more than me. I also have no help from my parents (they cant afford to give me any money).

You can EASILY get a room in a relatively nice flat share for the whole year in the region of £7000-£10000. Mine is more expensive because of the central location and the fact it is only a 2-bed.

I'm left with £20-25 pounds a week for bills (gas included though) and food after rent, you would be left with around £50 if you payed the same rent as me. That would definitely be doable on a budget. I manage because I worked full time in the holidays and part-time during term time. I work for a waitressing agency and i basically work when I want (zero hour contract), so I worked a lot in September and October before I had any coursework due, but I didnt work at all last month because my dissertation was due in. You'll realise that most people at uni have part-time jobs/summer jobs, and you really should be able to mange the work load (unless you're doing medicine perhaps), I mean I mange fine and I'm in third year which has WAY more uni work that first year.

Thank you so much, that definitely is relieving :smile:
Fingers crossed, things will work out perfectly fine :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending