The Student Room Group

I am a Schizophrenic ask me anything AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomb
I've got better but I've just seen it as the symptoms changing over time.I still think of myself as schizophrenic even though it's a label I would prefer to avoid I do see myself as being able to change it ever. :erm:

OKay Thomb. I also consider it a role which one takes on, or loses, depending on the situation. So for example, in hospital, we are all 'crazy', but at uni, we are students. There lies the difference? Have you done a degree yet Thomb? How did you get on??
Reply 41
Do you see any positives to having schizophrenia, and if so, what are they?
Interesting thread.

How do you feel about the stigma surrounding your illness? Have you ever felt like people only see the label and not you as a person?

Is there any support available for you to meet people in your area? I wish things were better for you.
Reply 43
Original post by john2054
OKay Thomb. I also consider it a role which one takes on, or loses, depending on the situation. So for example, in hospital, we are all 'crazy', but at uni, we are students. There lies the difference? Have you done a degree yet Thomb? How did you get on??

Spoiler

Reply 44
Original post by Vennec
Do you see any positives to having schizophrenia, and if so, what are they?

Original post by YaliaV
Interesting thread.
How do you feel about the stigma surrounding your illness? Have you ever felt like people only see the label and not you as a person?

Is there any support available for you to meet people in your area? I wish things were better for you.

At first I felt ashamed and distanced myself from people now I feel ok some people make comments but that's just immaturity and ignorance.

Thanks The good thing about schizophrenia and research has proven this is that they tend to be highly intelligent creative people.
Original post by Thomb

Spoiler

Okay so the course your doing now counts as a higher education certificate? Can you tell me more, such as giving me a link??
Reply 46
Okay so the course your doing now counts as a higher education certificate? Can you tell me more, such as giving me a link??

It's with the Oxford University just search OUDCE and it'll come up. What course are you doing?
Original post by Thomb
It's with the Oxford University just search OUDCE and it'll come up. What course are you doing?

Sounds interesting. What is the fee structure like, and what are the entry requirements? Also can you study remote (from home skype etc)??
Reply 48
Sounds interesting. What is the fee structure like, and what are the entry requirements? Also can you study remote (from home skype etc)??

There are no entry requirements and you study just with your computer its a chatroom basically like TSR and you upload your essays to the tutor. I got bursaries to cover the fees.
Original post by Thomb
There are no entry requirements and you study just with your computer its a chatroom basically like TSR and you upload your essays to the tutor. I got bursaries to cover the fees.

sounds like the moocs i am doing. do they offer research degrees? (doctorate level)??
Reply 50
sounds like the moocs i am doing. do they offer research degrees? (doctorate level)??

What does moocs stand for? Yes, they do all the Doctorates etc.
Original post by Thomb
I talk to myself all the time I see it as a way to stimulate the mind to do things it wouldn't otherwise have the support to do. If you mean the rambling conversation with myself that is not a condition I find myself in.

I was diagnosed on my second admission into hospital.

what other symptoms do you have as I often wonder that I have this condition
Original post by Thomb
What does moocs stand for? Yes, they do all the Doctorates etc.

moocs= massive open online certificate. Have you had any grades back yet? How harsh are they in marking?

I think i will probably go for a conventional PhD, just because it is hard to get a place on one, and not just anyone off the street can get a place?!?
Reply 53
Original post by karl pilkington
what other symptoms do you have as I often wonder that I have this condition

Being unable to understand things like a rolling stone gathers no moss. I f you start to look for abstract meanings instead of seeing the obvious then you might be ill.
or
Hearing voices. That's a sure sign of illness.

You should talk to your doctor either way.
Reply 54
moocs= massive open online certificate. Have you had any grades back yet? How harsh are they in marking?

I think i will probably go for a conventional PhD, just because it is hard to get a place on one, and not just anyone off the street can get a place?!?

Thats a good idea getting a Dphil from Oxford would be nice, I don't think I've got the time or the money tbh. I haven't had any grades back yet but it does seem a little bit easy tbh.
Original post by Thomb
Thats a good idea getting a Dphil from Oxford would be nice, I don't think I've got the time or the money tbh. I haven't had any grades back yet but it does seem a little bit easy tbh.

Yes thanks, I am considering applying for a research degree with either Derby or Roehampton, possibly immediately when i get my bachelors results back, or failing that after i complete my ma. I doubt very much they would let you do a phd with just one year higher education certificate

Unless like i said, they really are a 'mac-uni'?!?

In order to get a place on a phd you have to find a supervisor willing to take you on, send them a preliminary email, start a discussion with them to see if they think you have a viable proposal, then if they say yes, put the proposal in and take it from there.

Like i said, it isn't at all like undergraduate degrees! Plus they last three-four years full time. Are you able to commit to this?
Reply 56
Yes thanks, I am considering applying for a research degree with either Derby or Roehampton, possibly immediately when i get my bachelors results back, or failing that after i complete my ma. I doubt very much they would let you do a phd with just one year higher education certificate

Unless like i said, they really are a 'mac-uni'?!?

In order to get a place on a phd you have to find a supervisor willing to take you on, send them a preliminary email, start a discussion with them to see if they think you have a viable proposal, then if they say yes, put the proposal in and take it from there.

Like i said, it isn't at all like undergraduate degrees! Plus they last three-four years full time. Are you able to commit to this?

Blimey on my course you get four years just to complete the first year of a degree. I'm personally thinking of doing a Post Grad Certificate after my degree. It only takes one year to get it and it isn't heavily subscribed to either.

What are you doing your masters in? I'm doing art history.
Original post by Thomb
Blimey on my course you get four years just to complete the first year of a degree. I'm personally thinking of doing a Post Grad Certificate after my degree. It only takes one year to get it and it isn't heavily subscribed to either.

What are you doing your masters in? I'm doing art history.

So are you seriously telling me Oxford are letting you do a masters with them, with only a higher education certificate (not a full degree)? Wow and i thought Derby were an easy touch. My (place on the) masters at Derby is in education studies, which includes a work placement, and is actually quite a reputable subject to be studying, to my knowledge??
Reply 58
So are you seriously telling me Oxford are letting you do a masters with them, with only a higher education certificate (not a full degree)? Wow and i thought Derby were an easy touch. My (place on the) masters at Derby is in education studies, which includes a work placement, and is actually quite a reputable subject to be studying, to my knowledge??

Did I say I'm doing a masters oops I'm only doing the higher ed certificate. Where did I say I'm doing a masters?
Original post by Thomb
Did I say I'm doing a masters oops I'm only doing the higher ed certificate. Where did I say I'm doing a masters?

I'm personally thinking of doing a Post Grad Certificate after my degree.

This is what you said. a post grad. certificate is on the road to a masters, and i didn't know you could do that without a full degree? Maybe it is different at Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest