The Student Room Group

UK, man arrested for confronting random Muslim in the street, Croydon

A talent agency boss allegedly 'confronted a woman' in the street as she approached him and asked her to 'explain Brussels'. After tweeting about his encounter he was later arrested for inciting racial hatred.

The Tweet;
"I confronted a Muslim woman in Croydon yesterday. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply."

I can't help but feel saddened at the state of the UK. The priorities of the establishment seems focused on protecting certain people from words, instead of say, protecting prepubescent girls from being sexually assaulted by gangs of Muslim immigrants. It feels like the UK gradually changing into one of those ME countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506275/Publicity-boss-asked-Muslim-woman-street-explain-Brussels-deluged-angry-hilarious-Tweets-reply.html

Scroll to see replies

That right,it doesn't have anything to do with her,what did he expect from her? She was probably minding her own business,just like every other law abiding muslim/person. We can't hold all Muslims accountable for the actions of a few
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
yes well it was harassment...
I'd have assumed the charge would be harrassment rather than inciting racial hatred.
Reply 4
Original post by mkap
yes well it was harassment...

Original post by Gwilym101
I'd have assumed the charge would be harrassment rather than inciting racial hatred.

He wasn't arrested for harassment, incidentally, it doesn't sound like he was threatening or abusing verbally nor stalking or blocking her path. I don't think it constitutes harassment, based on what was in the article.
Good! We need to take more action. Anyone, and I mean anyone (apart from Muslims) who attacks muslims and Islam verbally, physically, over the Internet or whatever should be locked up.

Islamophobia is the greatest threat to society today. Muslims are the most vulnerable. We need to up protection in all Muslim neighbourhoods and beat fascism. I am glad this fascist was arrested

I think we need to go further and ban all parties like that of BNP, UKIP, The French national front, the Consrrvatives in some respect, republicans in America, all right wing parties who are spewing hatred
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HanSoloLuck
He wasn't arrested for harassment, incidentally, it doesn't sound like he was threatening or abusing verbally nor stalking or blocking her path. I don't think it constitutes harassment, based on what was in the article.

"In this legal guidance, the term harassment is used to cover the 'causing alarm or distress' offences under section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997"

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/stalking_and_harassment/#a02a

Pretty sure having a complete stranger approach you and demand an explanation for a horrific act which you had nothing to do with and nothing even vaguely indicating you had anything to do with it, would cause you alarm and distress.
That he felt the need to confront someone that he thought looked Muslim to explain Brussels is idiotic. It's like confronting a British male and asking them to explain Jimmy Saville.

Although that doesn't get any from the fact that the was arrested was ludicrous based on the account of events given.
A talent agency boss allegedly 'confronted a woman' in the street as she approached him and asked her to 'explain Brussels'. After tweeting about his encounter he was later arrested for inciting racial hatred.

The Tweet;
"I confronted a Muslim woman in Croydon yesterday. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply."

I can't help but feel saddened at the state of the UK. The priorities of the establishment seems focused on protecting certain people from words, instead of say, protecting prepubescent girls from being sexually assaulted by gangs of Muslim immigrants. It feels like the UK gradually changing into one of those ME countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506275/Publicity-boss-asked-Muslim-woman-street-explain-Brussels-deluged-angry-hilarious-Tweets-reply.html

grrrrr muslims grrrrr

am I doing it right?
Original post by Arsenal96123
Good! We need to take more action. Anyone, and I mean anyone (apart from Muslims) who attacks muslims and Islam verbally, physically, over the Internet or whatever should be locked up.

Islamophobia is the greatest threat to society today. Muslims are the most vulnerable. We need to up protection in all Muslim neighbourhoods and beat fascism. I am glad this fascist was arrested

I think we need to go further and ban all parties like that of BNP, UKIP, The French national front, the Consrrvatives in some respect, republicans in America, all right wing parties who are spewing hatred

Politics student here <- Most people consider UKIP as a "far-right" party. It doesn't mean they are islamophobic though. BNP and the EDL probably are though. UKIP is pretty much anti-immigration; they started off as a pressure group primarily for taking the UK out of the EU. Why? They don't like immigration with no limits.
Original post by pereira325
Politics student here <- Most people consider UKIP as a "far-right" party. It doesn't mean they are islamophobic though. BNP and the EDL probably are though. UKIP is pretty much anti-immigration; they started off as a pressure group primarily for taking the UK out of the EU. Why? They don't like immigration with no limits.

Shut up you apologist, they are Islamophobic, anyone on the right has some form of Islamophobia
Original post by Arsenal96123

Excellent trolling.
Original post by Gwilym101
"In this legal guidance, the term harassment is used to cover the 'causing alarm or distress' offences under section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997"

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/stalking_and_harassment/#a02a

Pretty sure having a complete stranger approach you and demand an explanation for a horrific act which you had nothing to do with and nothing even vaguely indicating you had anything to do with it, would cause you alarm and distress.

Well I'm pretty sure you're wrong. So are the police, or they'd have arrested him for that instead of the obscure 'incitement to racial hatred' path they elected to take.

Being asked a question isn't harassment. It just isn't, we don't know all the details, but unless he was following her and/or shouting in her face it wasn't. He has the right to free speech, not an audience.

If the woman didn't want to talk to him she could, and did, walk away ending the exchange. So there was no 'demand' as you so inflammatorily put it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I was afraid this was going to happen.

Good job he's arrested.

He had no right to approach her in that way. It was also completely dumb. You might excuse it bit a lot of people would be offended at being approached in such a manner. It looks like incitement to racial hatred or some of the other tweets he has made, but its not clear yet.

Quite why you think its acceptable is mystifying.
Original post by I H8 Muslims
Muslims are not a race how can you be arrested for racial hatred against a religion?

Subtle username
Idiot, should have asked the donkey about all the old white pedophiles (celebs and normal people) I see getting arrested everyday on the BBC. I know the perpetrator before they show their face.
Well I'm pretty sure you're wrong. So are the police, or they'd have arrested him for that instead of the obscure 'incitement to racial hatred' path they elected to take.

Being asked a question isn't harassment. It just isn't, we don't know all the details, but unless he was following her and/or shouting in her face it wasn't. He has the right to free speech, not an audience.

If the woman didn't want to talk to him she could, and did, walk away ending the exchange. So there was no 'demand' as you so inflammatorily put it.

You cnan just wait and see what the police and CPS decide to proceed with. It was offensive and idiotic in light of current events. he has the right to free speech but he doesnt have the right to harass her.

Btw this was the story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh hey, it's the Daily **** again :cute:
Just makes him look like a complete mentally challenged berk, to be honest. Especially the fact that he seemed to find it necessary to advertise the fact that he's such a prat on twitter. I'm trusting he got a load of replies telling him so.

Being arrested for inciting racial hatred was just as stupid on the part of the police. But hey, it's yet another easy arrest to add to the figures, right?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending