The Student Room Group

5 A-levels... yes or no?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QuibblerWaffle
Wow, where I'm from 4 A-levels is considered the norm so 5 to me is quite big

He's trolling lol, he previously posted some stuff about Cambridge and he was doing 4 A levels. In answer to your question you probably could do 5 if you really wanted to, but imo having something like philosophy for chem eng or anything science related as a 5th will probably not make a massive difference to your chances compared with how well you do in maths fm physics and chem, interviews etc so I would probably just stick with 4.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lightwoXd

Sorry for the essay, but hopefully it helps!

Thank you so much for this:hugs:, I'll definitely take what you've said into account . I wouldn't want to end up taking 5 subjects that I really enjoy at the beginning of the year and then hating myself for it because I'll be stressed out. I'm probably going to see how well I can cope as well as how happy I am with my choices then probably consider dropping one
You'll be a hermit if you do 5 - no social life whatsoever.

1) Choose 3 of the 4 A2s (Philosophy?! Really?!)
2) Focus on them and get 3 As
3) ???
4) Profit

The way I see it Chemistry and (Further) Maths are probably the most important, and I don't even need to look at the requirements to know you need them to get on the course.

Why overload yourself?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Hey :biggrin:

I've chosen my A level subjects and was thinking of taking the following:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Further maths
Philosophy
I might end up doing an EPQ in Computer Science

I am an aspiring Chemical Engineer and have high hopes for myself to study at either Cambridge or Imperial:awesome:
I will be dropping further maths and philosophy at A2.

Is the workload of 5 AS subjects too much to cope with?
Will I have a lot of free periods, if any at all?
Will I have time for a social life:frown:?

I understand there's this whole concept of "it's better to achieve 4A's than 2A's and 3B's" but I know I can do well. I plan on going over briefly all of my subjects during the summer holidays and doing revision regularly (not just because I'll have to but genuinely because I really like learning). When I first made the decision I was thrilled and excited to get GCSE's over and done with but now I feel like I've made the wrong choice and possibly underestimated a-levels? It'd be great to hear some stories of how well people have coped/coping with 5 a-levels or with any of the subjects I've chosen above.

Thanks in advance :cute:

I was fine quite honestly - I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (dropped Biology at A2) and it wasn't too stressful. Just a lot of exams. I know two kids doing 6 AS-levels - now that's crazy! You'll be fine, you seem clever enough to do it. :smile:
Thank you so much for this:hugs:, I'll definitely take what you've said into account . I wouldn't want to end up taking 5 subjects that I really enjoy at the beginning of the year and then hating myself for it because I'll be stressed out. I'm probably going to see how well I can cope as well as how happy I am with my choices then probably consider dropping one

No worries, glad I could help :h:
Good shout, if you're doing 5 there's no reason why they wouldn't let you drop one mid-year if it comes to it.
Good luck with everything!
If you coukd go back and only pick 4 which subjects would you have chosen? Which subject seems the most irrelevant to your future uni course at the moment?

Well I want to do medicine so I probably wouldn't have taken further maths since all three sciences are really useful and I really don't need to take further maths :smile:
If you find the subjects interesting and know you are going to work hard you should definitely go for it! I'm sure that doing that many subjects will give you a competitive edge for Cambridge/imperial if you manage the grades :h:
Original post by Thomb
The boy so set on getting to Cambridge he got 22 A-levelsRead more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132200/The-boy-set-getting-Cambridge-got-22-A-levels.html

Oh wow, I'd never go to those lengths just to get into cambridge but good on him. Although, I am slightly jealous of all that knowledge:gasp::rolleyes:
Absolutely no point in doing 5 AS levels, no benefit especially philosophy towards ANY engineering course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey :biggrin:

I've chosen my A level subjects and was thinking of taking the following:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Further maths
Philosophy
I might end up doing an EPQ in Computer Science

I am an aspiring Chemical Engineer and have high hopes for myself to study at either Cambridge or Imperial:awesome:
I will be dropping further maths and philosophy at A2.

Is the workload of 5 AS subjects too much to cope with?
Will I have a lot of free periods, if any at all?
Will I have time for a social life:frown:?

I understand there's this whole concept of "it's better to achieve 4A's than 2A's and 3B's" but I know I can do well. I plan on going over briefly all of my subjects during the summer holidays and doing revision regularly (not just because I'll have to but genuinely because I really like learning). When I first made the decision I was thrilled and excited to get GCSE's over and done with but now I feel like I've made the wrong choice and possibly underestimated a-levels? It'd be great to hear some stories of how well people have coped/coping with 5 a-levels or with any of the subjects I've chosen above.

Thanks in advance :cute:

Unless you have an incredible work ethic, hugely motivated and are good in those subjects - you won't do well and really have underestimated A-levels. There are three people at my sixth form doing 5 AS subjects, and all are not getting the grades they both want and need.

If you're desperate to pick up an additional AS, you can do so in Y13. I'm doing just that with Further Maths and a lot of sixth forms are happy to facilitate something like that.

You will have no free periods, and come this time next year you won't have any free time. Especially if you're behind.
Original post by jamestg
Unless you have an incredible work ethic, hugely motivated and are good in those subjects - you won't do well and really have underestimated A-levels. There are three people at my sixth form doing 5 AS subjects, and all are not getting the grades they both want and need.

If you're desperate to pick up an additional AS, you can do so in Y13. I'm doing just that with Further Maths and a lot of sixth forms are happy to facilitate something like that.

You will have no free periods, and come this time next year you won't have any free time. Especially if you're behind.

Are you coping well with studying 3A2's and an AS in year 13? I heard AS to A2 is a big jump and can be quite challenging, haven't thought of doing this yet but I think I might
Reply 31
Oh wow, I'd never go to those lengths just to get into cambridge but good on him. Although, I am slightly jealous of all that knowledge:gasp::rolleyes:

I know it's amazing he picked up some A levels and did them within days I don't see how that is possible. He must have a huge amount of knowledge.:work:
Are you coping well with studying 3A2's and an AS in year 13? I heard AS to A2 is a big jump and can be quite challenging, haven't thought of doing this yet but I think I might

Whoops didn't make it clear D:

I'm in Y12 doing 4AS at the moment, but when I get into Y13 I'll be doing AS FM with 3A2s.

It won't be too bad because I'll be self-teaching most of it lol, FP1 over the summer holidays to keep the brain ticking and to ease the pressure in Y13.

AS to A2 is a big jump apparently, but if you work hard you'll be fine. Luckily I do two essay subjects, so the 'jump' is not really noticeable.
Original post by jamestg

I, along with most of my school, did 3 A2s and got the grades... this guy I knew got cocky and did 6 and he got 2 Ds in English and Psychology. Cambridge, the Uni he really wanted to go to, rejected him and he ended up in Bristol (which is still good, but it's not quite Cambridge). He clearly got worked up and, like you said, underestimated the exams.
Original post by Dodgypirate
I, along with most of my school, did 3 A2s and got the grades... this guy I knew got cocky and did 6 and he got 2 Ds in English and Psychology. Cambridge, the Uni he really wanted to go to, rejected him and he ended up in Bristol (which is still good, but it's not quite Cambridge). He clearly got worked up and, like you said, underestimated the exams.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of:sadnod:, wouldn't want to be one of those students who get a bit too big for their boots
This is exactly what I'm afraid of:sadnod:, wouldn't want to be one of those students who get a bit too big for their boots

Do you have a tutor/teacher you can speak to about this... ask for their advice/suggestions as soon as you can, because if you go ahead and take the 5 A2s, you'll most likely regret it.

Again absolutely no point in 5 AS's, no benefits whatsoever apart from having more choice on what you drop for A2.
Do you really need to add that extra pressure? You don't even need 5 alevels for uni
Reply 38
There is a good point to doing 5 a levels it shows you have a broad academic interest in subjects other than your degree. I admire you and wish you the best of luck.
Original post by Thomb
There is a good point to doing 5 a levels it shows you have a broad academic interest in subjects other than your degree. I admire you and wish you the best of luck.

Yeah but you can still do that without 5 A levels and quite frankly doesn't even add much in itself, EPQ adds to it more obviously but absolutely no point in 5 A levels.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest