The Student Room Group

Do I fail the Access Course if I fail a unit?

I ****ed up. I procrastinated and now I can't finish this assigment on time. I could try but I suffer from anxiety and working under a lot of stress won't suffice (ironically the assigment is a psychology report about stress and memory)

Anyway, I just want to know if I fail the whole course in case I don't submit this assigment.
This is a double unit therefore it's worth 6 credits. I just need to pass the course to go to this uni so I don't care about getting merits or distinctions.

I tried to find an answer to this but all I could find is that a few units are mandatory and you could fail overall if you fail them so I'm confused.

(edited 8 years ago)
Ideally, you meet the deadline. If you submit a piece of work and it fails to meet all criteria, you will be referred and be allowed to resubmit once (fortunately, you are now allowed to achieve Pass, Merit and Distinction with a resubmission as opposed to merely pass or fail). If you fail the resubmission, your case is brought to the board and they get to decide whether you continue on the course or not (as you can't pass the course without passing all modules).

Alternatively, if you miss the deadline, you are capped at a pass. If you miss the deadline by five days or more, it's an automatic fail, although I'm not quite sure whether you can resubmit or this goes to the board straight away.

Hope it all works out for you and take care. :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by GodOfBeer
I ****ed up. I procrastinated and now I can't finish this assigment on time. I could try but I suffer from anxiety and working under a lot of stress won't suffice (ironically the assigment is a psychology report about stress and memory)

Anyway, I just want to know if I fail the whole course in case I don't submit this assigment.
This is a double unit therefore it's worth 6 credits. I just need to pass the course to go to this uni so I don't care about getting merits or distinctions.

I tried to find an answer to this but all I could find is that a few units are mandatory and you could fail overall if you fail them so I'm confused.

like a cupofgreentea said im afraid. i know access may seem hard now, but it's a walk in the park compared to a proper degree im afraid!
Reply 3
Original post by acupofgreentea
Ideally, you meet the deadline. If you submit a piece of work and it fails to meet all criteria, you will be referred and be allowed to resubmit once (fortunately, you are now allowed to achieve Pass, Merit and Distinction with a resubmission as opposed to merely pass or fail). If you fail the resubmission, your case is brought to the board and they get to decide whether you continue on the course or not (as you can't pass the course without passing all modules).

Alternatively, if you miss the deadline, you are capped at a pass. If you miss the deadline by five days or more, it's an automatic fail, although I'm not quite sure whether you can resubmit or this goes to the board straight away.

Hope it all works out for you and take care. :hugs:

Thanks for the clear answer! That's not what I wanted to hear but that's what I needed. I don't know what to do now though. I can't really make it on time and because my reason isn't a good enough excuse to not submit the assigment, the board will most likely kick me out. :frown:

Original post by john2054
like a cupofgreentea said im afraid. i know access may seem hard now, but it's a walk in the park compared to a proper degree im afraid!

Lol, that's the opposite that they told me. A degree is much easier than access because it's spread over 3 and 4 years unlike 1 year of access.
Reply 4
Thanks for the clear answer! That's not what I wanted to hear but that's what I needed. I don't know what to do now though. I can't really make it on time and because my reason isn't a good enough excuse to not submit the assigment, the board will most likely kick me out. :frown:

Lol, that's the opposite that they told me. A degree is much easier than access because it's spread over 3 and 4 years unlike 1 year of access.

Trust me as someone who's just completed both, a degree is much harder, especially in years two and three. Because unlike access, where you are basically spoon fed what to learn, at degree level you have to self motivate!!
Reply 5

If you don't pass the course you don't go to uni, same situation here. Access course waiting to go to uni
Reply 6
Trust me as someone who's just completed both, a degree is much harder, especially in years two and three. Because unlike access, where you are basically spoon fed what to learn, at degree level you have to self motivate!!

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm actually finding the access easier than what they made it sound like.
When is the deadline?

Just try and get something, even if it's utter tosh. Then you can always go through re-submission.

ps. for future ref you could try and get some doctors note but the teacher would want a few days notice.
Reply 8
How do you expect to do well at degree level if you're barely managing to get by on an access course?

Maybe you should consider doing an apprenticeship instead - university isn't for everyone.
Reply 9
Original post by skeptical_john
When is the deadline?

Just try and get something, even if it's utter tosh. Then you can always go through re-submission.

ps. for future ref you could try and get some doctors note but the teacher would want a few days notice.

It's officially tomorrow at 11 pm but the college's system will be down for maintenance at 8 pm. I sent an e-mail to my teacher asking for extension. It's the best thing I can do for now.

Original post by m_james
How do you expect to do well at degree level if you're barely managing to get by on an access course?

Maybe you should consider doing an apprenticeship instead - university isn't for everyone.

I want to study languages at uni which is the only thing I enjoy. The subjects I'm doing at access are pretty boring thus I don't have the motivation to do anything. This one in particularl is Psychology which has nothing to do with my desire course even. I just chose it because I had some prior knowledge. Also having ADD doesn't help either. This wouldn't happen in uni if I'll be studying languages.

And maybe you should consider to be less snob next time, eh? You sound like one of those who think that if people don't attend Oxbridge, they must be cockroaches.
It's officially tomorrow at 11 pm but the college's system will be down for maintenance at 8 pm. I sent an e-mail to my teacher asking for extension. It's the best thing I can do for now.

You've got a whole day then! Have you got anything? Just google and read a couple of other essays on the topic. Re-word bits that are relevant into something legible and submit it.

While I agree James is a touch harsh, getting a passes on access course assignments is far from demanding. I've had barley anything the night before a 9 am submission and come out with decent marks

ps Psychology is fundamental to how languages work, you really should be interested in it!
Reply 11
You've got a whole day then! Have you got anything? Just google and read a couple of other essays on the topic. Re-word bits that are relevant into something legible and submit it.

While I agree James is a touch harsh, getting a passes on access course assignments is far from demanding. I've had barley anything the night before a 9 am submission and come out with decent marks

ps Psychology is fundamental to how languages work, you really should be interested in it!

Yeah, I've done that before and did pretty well. The problem is that this is a research report based on a research that I made. It's not an essay to discuss and evaluate a topic. I need to write the aim, method, results and discussion. I also need to do a graph to show my data and link it to the results. The graph needs to be done in Excel which I don't have nor I know how to use. I also have another assigment but that's almost done anyway. However I need to spend a good time on it to make sure I achieve at least a merit.

I'm interested in psychology, specially as someone who has mental issues. It helps to understand myself but this unit in particular has been slightly boring. And actually, you made a good point.Psychology is indeed fundamental but I regret choosing it over Cultural Studies which was more relevant.
Reply 12

I want to study languages at uni which is the only thing I enjoy. The subjects I'm doing at access are pretty boring thus I don't have the motivation to do anything. This one in particularl is Psychology which has nothing to do with my desire course even. I just chose it because I had some prior knowledge. Also having ADD doesn't help either. This wouldn't happen in uni if I'll be studying languages.

And maybe you should consider to be less snob next time, eh? You sound like one of those who think that if people don't attend Oxbridge, they must be cockroaches.

Surely you knew of the modules and what you were getting yourself into prior to starting the course, no?

My post wasn't an attack, mate. I was being honest and didn't get the impression that you were at all serious about the course that you're currently doing. I don't look down on anyone who isn't studying at Oxbridge - my firm choice isn't even part of the 'RG' group.
Reply 13
Original post by m_james
Surely you knew of the modules and what you were getting yourself into prior to starting the course, no?

My post wasn't an attack, mate. I was being honest and didn't get the impression that you were at all serious about the course that you're currently doing. I don't look down on anyone who isn't studying at Oxbridge - my firm choice isn't even part of the 'RG' group.

I'm sorry, it's hard to interpret the tone of a post online. It's just I've been lurking here for some time and found some people who sound like snobs and look down on any uni which isn't in the top 10. I appreciate your honesty though. You said what was needed to be said.

I'm serious about the course even because going to university has been my aim for the past few years since I decided what to do. The problem is that I've ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) among other issues so it makes it hard to concentrate even if I'm interested in a topic. If I wasn't serious, I wouldn't even have created this thread in the first place.

Please whatever you do, don't do this. This is actually cheating (plagiarism) and is a bad habit to get in to. If you get caught doing this at undergraduate level, you will be kicked off for sure!! Plus it sets a bad example.
As above you've got two choices,

1 - Turn it in late and only get a pass regardless.

2 - Cobble something together and get a referral and then try and get a higher grade. There's nothing to stop you keeping a copy and working on it while you wait for the referral.

Whatever you do don't cheat, if they catch you you'll get booted instantly. My tutor told me that all colleges running Access Courses use plagiarism detection software to check assignments, so if you try and copy something that's freely available online it's likely that you'll get caught.
Reply 16
Please whatever you do, don't do this. This is actually cheating (plagiarism) and is a bad habit to get in to. If you get caught doing this at undergraduate level, you will be kicked off for sure!! Plus it sets a bad example.

Well, I have done something similar before. I read articles and used some of their ideas but I made sure to use my own words. Of course I mixed it up with my own arguments and ideas as well. Is that still plagiarism? "Borrowing" ideas from other articles and journals?

Original post by JamesN88
As above you've got two choices,

1 - Turn it in late and only get a pass regardless.

2 - Cobble something together and get a referral and then try and get a higher grade. There's nothing to stop you keeping a copy and working on it while you wait for the referral.

Whatever you do don't cheat, if they catch you you'll get booted instantly. My tutor told me that all colleges running Access Courses use plagiarism detection software to check assignments, so if you try and copy something that's freely available online it's likely that you'll get caught.

My teacher replied to me and said I have those 2 options. I think I'll have to choose the 1st regardless of the pass. At least I'm still on the course and can go to uni. To be honest, I deserve a pass anyway because of my lack of discipline.
Well, I have done something similar before. I read articles and used some of their ideas but I made sure to use my own words. Of course I mixed it up with my own arguments and ideas as well. Is that still plagiarism? "Borrowing" ideas from other articles and journals?

Yes don't do it. They will catch you out at uni, and you will fail, if you continue in this way!

On my Access course all assignments must be submitted by the deadline date stipulated on the assignment brief. If it is a graded unit where Pass, Merit or Distinction are awarded and you submit it late without a prior agreed extension with the tutor, then you're assignment submission will be capped at a Pass grade; regardless of whether the work is of a quality of Distinction or Merit.

I'm studying the Humanities and Social Sciences pathway and I have to study Psychology amongst other things. I have offers to study Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies so nothing associated with what I want to do at university; but you should not see that as a reason to slack. The Access course is all about improving your abilities as a student to cope with academic assignments.

With that said; for my first psychology assignment in November I procrastinated and received lower grades. We all make mistakes, take the pass and make sure you acknowledge this as a lesson learned and endeavour to be more organised next time. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending