The Student Room Group

Recrystsllization

Why recrystallization works on the basis that cooled solution is saturated with the desired material but not with the impurities?

Cuz I thought it is the desired material got crystallized, not the impurities?

Did I misunderstand something?

Thanks for any replies in advance:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
when you wash it through with a solvent, the desired product stays and the impurities dissolve with and you end up with the crystals and a bunch of solvent with the impurities dissolved in it.
Reply 2
Original post by MrFartFace
when you wash it through with a solvent, the desired product stays and the impurities dissolve with and you end up with the crystals and a bunch of solvent with the impurities dissolved in it.

This thread is about recrystallisation, not washing on a filter...

Then the solvent is saturated with impurities isn't it?
Original post by mystreet091234
Then the solvent is saturated with impurities isn't it?

The solvent has all the impurities dissolved in it, the crystals shouldn't dissolve in the solvent, they stay in the funnel.
Reply 5
The solvent has all the impurities dissolved in it, the crystals shouldn't dissolve in the solvent, they stay in the funnel.

Have you ever done a recrystallisation? What you have said is completely wrong.
Yeah I did the PSA in it earlier this year.
Reply 7
Yeah I did the PSA in it earlier this year.

Then you did it wrong. In a recryst you dissolve the crude product, filter out any insoluble impurities and cool the filtered solution to get your purified product, followed by drying.
Original post by alow
Then you did it wrong. In a recryst you dissolve the crude product, filter out any insoluble impurities and cool the filtered solution to get your purified product, followed by drying.

Cheers for clearing that up.

Actually this is the question I was talking about.

I think D is weird as the solution should be saturated with soluble impurities, though I know ABC must be wrong.
It's D, when you cool it, the purer product is formed, but the impurities stay mostly dissolved
(edited 8 years ago)
It's D

Yea I know
But why?

Quick Reply

Latest