The Student Room Group

does your school teach sex education?

I am currently in my last year of sixth form and truth be told I haven't had a sex education lesson since year ten, which means it has been three years. Although I myself am educated, some of my fellow students and close friends are totally uneducated and perhaps this is down to my school not continuing to teach sex education in the later years of school. The only students in my school who are taught sex education are those who take double health and social which I find completely unfair and wrong. We are given lessons of enrichment which are totally a waste of time as during our enrichment period we are taught how to read newspapers correctly and the difference between tabloid and broadsheet??? perhaps these periods could be turned into useful and important lessons such as sex education and even basic personal hygiene (my school is really germ ridden)

Do you think I should speak up to the school about this and if so how would I go about this? would I speak to the head of the school, the schools council?

What are your thoughts on this and also, does your school each sex education?

Scroll to see replies

My Sixth Form did, but I don't think schools should be involved to be quite honest.

Since sex ed began being taught in schools pregnancies, abortions and STD's have skyrocketed.

Leave it to the parents.
Reply 2
Original post by mightybis0n
My Sixth Form did, but I don't think schools should be involved to be quite honest.

Since sex ed began being taught in schools pregnancies, abortions and STD's have skyrocketed.

Leave it to the parents.

I understand where you're coming from about the leave it to the parents however what if a persons parent or guardian are not as close with their child to discuss such things?
Yeah we did practicals.
Original post by Anonymous
I understand where you're coming from about the leave it to the parents however what if a persons parent or guardian are not as close with their child to discuss such things?

I would argue it is one of the responsibilities of a parent. It is awkward yes, but natural.

Children should remain ignorant of such things till late teens. That would stop the abortions, STDs and pregnancies from rising.
already fully trained
Reply 6

Leave it to the parents.

And if the parents don't teach it?

That's just not true at all, sex ed does not increase pregancies or stds.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X0600601X
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1525/srsp.2008.5.3.18#/page-1
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-8606.2008.00071.x/abstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X07004260
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/108729102320231144
(edited 8 years ago)
In secondary school, it was only taught through Religious studies. So just no contraceptives, no homosexual sex and things like that.
All of which I disagree with however.

The information is available via friends/internet/NHS.

Both articles you linked are not specific to the UK and one was under 25. I am talking about the issues in high schools in the UK.
Reply 9
Yep in biology we did the reproductive system and we had a more practical sex ed thing in Year 9 or something...had to put condoms on wooden models, I broke mine. Also had someone come in in Year 6, but it wasn't hugely in depth of course
No, any form of sex ed was completely banned in my school
My secondary school did, my sixth form doesn't. It was in the press recently for telling people that "sex destroys your soul" and since then they're not going to bring anymore speakers in lol.
Reply 12
The information is available via friends/internet/NHS.

Both articles you linked are not specific to the UK and one was under 25. I am talking about the issues in high schools in the UK.

Is it not better that the school provide it, so we know that they get it, rather than leave it to teenagers to seek out information from the NHS? That does to me seem like the more sensible approach.

I've linked a few more. Every paper I have read support the conclusion the sex ed in schools lowers pregnancies and stds, and increases contraception usage. Here's one from the UK

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033350612003472

Why do you think research from other countries is irrelevant?
Reply 13
I learnt it in year 5
We did technically have sex education till we were in our last year, but it was mainly just how not to get pregnant/catch an std, nothing about consent or any deviation from Hetero relationships
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in my last year of sixth form and truth be told I haven't had a sex education lesson since year ten, which means it has been three years. Although I myself am educated, some of my fellow students and close friends are totally uneducated and perhaps this is down to my school not continuing to teach sex education in the later years of school. The only students in my school who are taught sex education are those who take double health and social which I find completely unfair and wrong. We are given lessons of enrichment which are totally a waste of time as during our enrichment period we are taught how to read newspapers correctly and the difference between tabloid and broadsheet??? perhaps these periods could be turned into useful and important lessons such as sex education and even basic personal hygiene (my school is really germ ridden)

Do you think I should speak up to the school about this and if so how would I go about this? would I speak to the head of the school, the schools council?

What are your thoughts on this and also, does your school each sex education?

Yep we did.
Did it in 1st year but it was just labelling reproductive organs and the base biology
3rd year as part of HE but focused on contraception, stages of pregnancy and delivery and STIs. Also did stuff on nutrition of baby and mother
It was also part of the GCSE biology
Im lower 6th we had general studies and did 6 weeks of sex ed. it covered consent STIs and pros and cons of casual sex and relationships
Original post by Dinasaurus
Yeah we did practicals.

Give us the details :ahee:
yes it does teach it, also part of our biology igcse is reproduction in plants and humans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legendary Quest
Give us the details :ahee:

The usual, teacher demonstrations, partnering up, some solo stuff and some group activity.
Original post by Dinasaurus
The usual, teacher demonstrations, partnering up, some solo stuff and some group activity.

Sounds hectic but very informative

Quick Reply

Latest