The Student Room Group

my dream of Cambridge and a great curiosity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Just to note, UMS no longer exists for reformed A-Levels (although it remains for Maths until the new spec starts in Sept 2017).

And Cambridge is yet to announce if they will be collecting raw marks as an alternative to UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think they will?
Reply 21
Original post by Abscissa
Indeed, but why wouldn't they collect raw marks as an alternative? Or convert these raw marks into their own scale.

Yes they might collect the marks, using the SAQ. And they wouldn't need a scale as such - they would get the published boundaries direct from the exam boards and just do the appropriate conversion. But it's extra work compared to simply collecting UMS.

And they haven't, yet, announced if they will be doing it.
Original post by jneill
Yes they might collect the marks, using the SAQ. And they wouldn't need a scale as such - they would get the published boundaries direct from the exam boards and just do the appropriate conversion. But it's extra work compared to simply collecting UMS.

And they haven't, yet, announced if they will be doing it.

Surely they wouldn't need to have any conversion?

They can just look at the raw marks and see who gets the highest?
Original post by jamestg
Surely they wouldn't need to have any conversion?

They can just look at the raw marks and see who gets the highest?

That works to a certain extent, but there are different boards which makes it harder to compare than it was when they had UMS
Reply 24
Original post by jamestg
Do you think they will?

yes :wink:

Original post by jamestg
Surely they wouldn't need to have any conversion?They can just look at the raw marks and see who gets the highest?

Nope they will vary by exam board.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samb1234
That works to a certain extent, but there are different boards which makes it harder to compare than it was when they had UMS

Forgot about the different boards lol

I personally think they won't simply because it wouldn't be fair on those who are doing the AS exams. They would be discriminating more between those who did AS exams, meanwhile there is less discrimination available for those who do not.

So you could end up with a situation like:

Person 1
a) no AS exams
b) scraped As in their mock exams
c) predicted an A* based on their mock and Y13 work
d) given an interview

Person 2
a) AS exams
b) comfortable A grades, however below the standard of others
c) predicted an A*
d) not given an interview
Reply 26
GL if you're really passionate about chemistry you stand a better chance than most.
Reply 27
Original post by jamestg

I personally think they won't simply because it wouldn't be fair on those who are doing the AS exams. They would be discriminating more between those who did AS exams, meanwhile there is less discrimination available for those who do not.

Person 1
a) no AS exams
d) given an interview

Person 2
a) AS exams
c) predicted an A*

That just wouldn't happen though because both would get an interview surely?
Original post by Thomb
That just wouldn't happen though because both would get an interview surely?

Yeah they probably will, but it doesn't mean that couldn't happen.

Plenty of Cambridge applicants have been rejected before interview at my school despite having stellar grades.

I'll talk to Peterhouse when I'm there for the residential.
Reply 29
Original post by jamestg
Yeah they probably will, but it doesn't mean that couldn't happen.

Plenty of Cambridge applicants have been rejected before interview at my school despite having stellar grades.

I'll talk to Peterhouse when I'm there for the residential.

That's weird because I got an interview with no gcse grades whatsoever and Cambridge interview a huge percentage of applicants.
I don't want to be negative I mean you could be more focused than I am but I didn't do too bad at GCSE, I got A* 8As, 3 Bs and half a C and I got realllly bad A levels to say the least. Even my friend with 8A*s and 4As got only A*AB. 4 A*s is doable but don't run before you can walk.
Original post by jamestg

Person 1
a) no AS exams
d) given an interview

Person 2
a) AS exams
c) predicted an A*

That's unlikely to happen purely because they interview such a large proportion of applicants - cambridge is very different to oxford in that regard (unless they are planning to change that). At the end of the day their research has shown attainment at AS to be the best indicator of tripos success, so it would make sense for them to try and collect such information if it is available (which for some applicants it will be). You have to remember that it is not uncommon for international applicants/ib people not to have UMS anyway so they are relatively used to assessing people with different qualifications, it's just that there will be a bigger proportion of such cases. If i'm honest I feel pretty sorry for you guys as you are essentially guinea pigs - I think that the slight element of confusion around everything going on might be enough to put some people off applying which is a shame
Reply 32
Original post by jamestg

Person 1
a) no AS exams
d) given an interview

Person 2
a) AS exams
c) predicted an A*

Both those candidates would likely get an interview. Most (approx 80%, but varies by subject) get an interview.

Oh and the new admissions assessment is an extra data point now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
That's weird because I got an interview with no gcse grades whatsoever and Cambridge interview a huge percentage of applicants.

I'll quote from the prospectus

except medicine and vet med, "there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge"

Regarding the linear A-levels, the details are rather sketchy. Ugh.
Original post by jneill
Both those candidates would likely get an interview. Most (approx 80%, but varies by subject) get an interview.

Oh and the new admissions assessment is an extra data point now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any specimen papers?
Reply 35
Original post by jamestg
I'll quote from the prospectus

except medicine and vet med, "there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge"

Regarding the linear A-levels, the details are rather sketchy. Ugh.

Well I applied as a mature student and I suppose they thought GCSEs were irrelevant. Though you'd think someone from your school with loads of A*s would get an interview over someone with none. I must have smashed it with my PS or something.
Okay so the prospectus talks about requiring a transcript.

Info on the transcript:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/transcripts/i-am-taking-uk-school-qualifications-or-ib

There is nothing on scores except for listing grades and subjects on their exemplar transcript.
Original post by jamestg
Okay so the prospectus talks about requiring a transcript.

Info on the transcript:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/transcripts/i-am-taking-uk-school-qualifications-or-ib

There is nothing on scores except for listing grades and subjects on their exemplar transcript.

That page i'm 99% sure has not been changed from last year, and transcript is not the same as the SAQ (SAQ is where I had to put all the ums stuff)
Original post by Mayhem™

I'm in year 11, and feel that I could comfortably get 5 A*'s at GCSE (maths, 3 sciences, and Polish)

****s sake, why is there no Bulgarian GCSE :angry:
Original post by samb1234
That page i'm 99% sure has not been changed from last year, and transcript is not the same as the SAQ (SAQ is where I had to put all the ums stuff)

I think it's implying you use the SAQ for your modular A-levels and the transcript with your linear A-levels.

"However, you’re strongly encouraged to submit a transcript as part of your application to Cambridge if you’re taking entirely linear qualifications, for example non-modular A Levels, the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or the Cambridge Pre-U."

The prospectus does mention about submitting a transcript and the need to look on their website for further details. That's all I have found on the Cambridge website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending