The Student Room Group

Engineering Graduate Job 2016- Starting Salary

This poll is closed

What is your starting salary? (graduate engineering jobs only)

Below £20000 9%
£20000-£22000 0%
£22000-£24000 9%
£24000-£26000 26%
£26000-£28000 22%
£28000-£30000 9%
£30000-£32000 13%
£32000-£34000 0%
Over £3400013%
Total votes: 23
Please participate in the poll or post answer below (preferred). State your role, type of company and the location if you wish.

Should make an interesting thread, for prospective students and those currently searching jobs and negotiating job offers. :smile:

Edit:
I am adding my own details now because the response to this thread hasn't been very helpful/substantial...:frown:

Graduate Engineer
EPC Company
£30000
London

[May I add, before anyone jumps in, that this salary is NOT great for London... :frown: so I'm not trying to show off.]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would say it's about £25k-£30k (more in London). Add a few extra k if you get a Master's and add about 10k if you have a doctorate. I know people who accepted a bit less, and I know people who ended up with a bit more, but that's a reasonable range from my experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
I would say it's about £25k-£30k (more in London). Add a few extra k if you get a Master's and add about 10k if you have a doctorate. I know people who accepted a bit less, and I know people who ended up with a bit more, but that's a reasonable range from my experience.

Did you read the question? How much do YOU get paid?
This is kinda pointless. Starting salary will completely depend on which university you graduate from, experience, type of engineering and a hundred other factors. Salaries could range from £0 - £45k
Original post by SheldorOfAzeroth
Did you read the question? How much do YOU get paid?

I thought you were interested in how much everyone else got paid.

I'm on the equivalent of about £28k (give or take a bit depending on how much tax you pay). I'm on a scholarship so I don't pay tax and it's one of the highest scholarships in the country as far as I'm aware. It's certainly amongst the highest for engineering.

Universities that offer placement years often get their students the highest paid jobs. I know people who went to Surrey who ended up getting employed by their companies afterwards for in excess of £32k with hundreds of pounds of pay rise every year. Lucky people...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daniel9998
This is kinda pointless. Starting salary will completely depend on which university you graduate from, experience, type of engineering and a hundred other factors. Salaries could range from £0 - £45k

Thanks for stating the obvious...
Original post by Keyhofi
I thought you were interested in how much everyone else got paid.

I'm on the equivalent of about £28k (give or take a bit depending on how much tax you pay). I'm on a scholarship so I don't pay tax and it's one of the highest scholarships in the country as far as I'm aware. It's certainly amongst the highest for engineering.

Universities that offer placement years often get their students the highest paid jobs. I know people who went to Surrey who ended up getting employed by their companies afterwards for in excess of £32k with hundreds of pounds of pay rise every year. Lucky people...

Wow no tax that's amazing! Are you on a placement year or grad job?
Wow no tax that's amazing! Are you on a placement year or grad job?

I'm doing a doctorate right now. And remember that that £28k is if I did pay tax that would be my wage. The actual amount I'm earning is less than that (and you could work it out by estimating taxes). It's a very comfortable salary.
Thanks for stating the obvious...

So whats the point of this thread. How is a poll of a few starting salaries gonna help students?
So whats the point of this thread. How is a poll of a few starting salaries gonna help students?

There have been countless threads asking 'what should I expect to earn as an engineer', with everyone pulling a figure out of their a*se based on what they hear, so this is a more accurate reflection of salaries, as long as people are honest.

Also stating your role, location and type of company (as suggested) does help negotiate similar offers! :smile:
There have been countless threads asking 'what should I expect to earn as an engineer', with everyone pulling a figure out of their a*se based on what they hear, so this is a more accurate reflection of salaries, as long as people are honest.

Also stating your role, location and type of company (as suggested) does help negotiate similar offers! :smile:

Yeh thats true actually, fair play
Can you also post degree type, BEng or MEng, grade, placement year or not and university graduated from?
Reply 12
Degree: BEng from Napier University (First), MSc from Newcastle University (currently doing the MSc, expected Distinction)
Salary: £26k (this is my job offer)
Job and grade: Graduate Geotechnical Engineer
Type of company: Consultancy

Hope this helps in any way.
(edited 8 years ago)

Not really.

Company, role, location, experience, level of education (BSc/BEng, MEng/MSc, PhD).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Not really.

Company, role, location, experience, level of education (BSc/BEng, MEng/MSc, PhD).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the university would matter. For example a Chem Eng graduate from Cambridge would most likely have a much higher starting salary than a graduate from Lancaster which isn't accredited
Well the university would matter. For example a Chem Eng graduate from Cambridge would most likely have a much higher starting salary than a graduate from Lancaster which isn't accredited

Yeah but as long as the university's course is accredited there will be no differences in salary. The reason why Imperial (maybe Cambridge as well) have great starting salaries is because their students tend to be very intelligent students and great potential engineers and that's why high paying companies hire them more, not because of the name but because the individual students tend to be better. At least that's what I heard from a Shell engineer at a careers fair.
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but as long as the university's course is accredited there will be no differences in salary. The reason why Imperial (maybe Cambridge as well) have great starting salaries is because their students tend to be very intelligent students and great potential engineers and that's why high paying companies hire them more, not because of the name but because the individual students tend to be better.

So you are basically agreeing with me. Universities like Imperial and Cambridge would have higher starting salaries in the engineering industry than a graduate from Teesside for example. Students from top top universities would have more support and tend to be smarter and therefore more likely to have a higher starting salary
(edited 8 years ago)

Again, no, that's not true...

No engineering firm pays more to a graduate on the same scheme purely because they went to a higher ranking university. A Cambridge grad with a BP offer will receive the same starting package as an Aberdeen grad, ceteris paribus.

And the reason avg salaries at Cam are higher is because more Cam students choose to go into/have an easier time getting into finance and other equally high paying careers. It's not because they went to Cam that they'll receive £xk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Again, no, that's not true...

No engineering firm pays more to a graduate on the same scheme purely because they went to a higher ranking university. A Cambridge grad with a BP offer will receive the same starting package as an Aberdeen grad, ceteris paribus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yes of course but a Cambridge grad would more likely get the BP offer than an Abereen grad. Therefore Cambridge students would more likely end up at higher paying jobs
So you are basically agreeing with me. Universities like Imperial and Cambridge would have higher starting salaries in the engineering industry than a graduate from Teesside for example. Students from top top universities would have more support and tend to be smarter and therefore more likely to have a higher starting salary

If the Teeside grad got the same job, they'd be on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending