The Student Room Group

UK, man arrested for confronting random Muslim in the street, Croydon

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlwaysWatching
So you are saying that in the days following a major terrorist attack in a neighbouring country, in an area that has high crime rate, the worst thing that was happening was a man tweeting about asking a question that may have been deemed offensive but there has been no complaint? Instead of putting more officers on the ground to guard shopping districts, schools, places of worship, they decide to send a couple of officers to arrest a man who sent an offensive tweet and spend the 4-5 hours processing him. Right. Very sensible.

Original post by AlwaysWatching
No, that is exactly what you are implying.

They haven't even arrested him with a charge than an pin on him. Racial hatred wont stand up in court, since there as been no complaint, no evidence that this was done on the basis of race and no evidence that Muslim is a race. (although harassment might).

Firstly no, again, I'm not implying that. May you please explain how? It seems pretty clear that that is not what we are talking about, nor is that what I believe.

Secondly did I ever say that I agree with the arrest?

Thirdly hate speech and harassment laws include religions aswell as race, also sexuality and national origin.
If we are locking people up for being idiots, everybody will be in jail within a year
Original post by HanSoloLuck
A talent agency boss allegedly 'confronted a woman' in the street as she approached him and asked her to 'explain Brussels'. After tweeting about his encounter he was later arrested for inciting racial hatred.

The Tweet;
"I confronted a Muslim woman in Croydon yesterday. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said "nothing to do with me". A mealy mouthed reply."

I can't help but feel saddened at the state of the UK. The priorities of the establishment seems focused on protecting certain people from words, instead of say, protecting prepubescent girls from being sexually assaulted by gangs of Muslim immigrants. It feels like the UK gradually changing into one of those ME countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506275/Publicity-boss-asked-Muslim-woman-street-explain-Brussels-deluged-angry-hilarious-Tweets-reply.html

Are you one of those who believes that two wrongs make a right? You cannot "confront" someone over something they had nothing to do with.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
If we are locking people up for being idiots, everybody will be in jail within a year

Stop being a hate-speech apologist.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Why should someone be arrested cause they said something hurtful. As long as it's non threatening, people should be allowed to say whatever they want regardless of how stupid it is

I don't agree. I think we have a responsibility to protect people from genuine malicious harm. This isn't a case where somebody is being fairly criticised and is trying to exploit the law to censor someone whose views they find uncomfortable, this is targeted harassment with the express purpose of belittling and upsetting someone.
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't agree. I think we have a responsibility to protect people from genuine malicious harm. This isn't a case where somebody is being fairly criticised and is trying to exploit the law to censor someone whose views they find uncomfortable, this is targeted harassment with the express purpose of belittling and upsetting someone.

It's not harassment, you belittle actual harassment experiences.

What he done wasn't tactful, it wasn't polite and he deserves a slap around the chops. But. Having poor social etiquette is not a public order offence, it's not harassment. The woman was free to be part of the exchange or not, he didn't follow her or block her or verbally threaten her. He asked a question, which he is allowed to do. Stranger or not.

What he done wasn't tactful, it wasn't polite and he deserves a slap around the chops. But. Having poor social etiquette is not a public order offence, it's not harassment. The woman was free to be part of the exchange or not, he didn't follow her or block her or verbally threaten her. He asked a question, which he is allowed to do. Stranger or not.

He suggested that she had responsibility for the Brussels attack based solely on her faith and appearance. That is harassment, as it is putting aggressive pressure on her.

What he did was arguably racist (inb4 Muslim isn't a race, you know exactly what I mean), discriminatory and highly offensive. This is not a lapse in etiquette, it's a targeted attack to upset somebody. In the grand scheme of things, I might well agree that it's not worth of arrest but I also do not think it should be allowed. There is no excuse for harassing people.

There's a pretty clear line between fair criticism and harassment. Whilst this might not be a particularly serious case of harassment, it is harassment.
Well we will know whether hes committed an offence and what it is if the Police and CPS decide to charge him.
I'm the first to criticise Islam, but confronting a random woman who happens to be Muslim and asking her to 'explain Brussels' is bigotry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arsenal96123
Good! We need to take more action. Anyone, and I mean anyone (apart from Muslims) who attacks muslims and Islam verbally, physically, over the Internet or whatever should be locked up.

Islamophobia is the greatest threat to society today. Muslims are the most vulnerable. We need to up protection in all Muslim neighbourhoods and beat fascism. I am glad this fascist was arrested

I think we need to go further and ban all parties like that of BNP, UKIP, The French national front, the Consrrvatives in some respect, republicans in America, all right wing parties who are spewing hatred

I seriously hope you are joking. Please confirm that you are joking.
Original post by Aceadria
I'm the first to criticise Islam, but confronting a random woman who happens to be Muslim and asking her to 'explain Brussels' is bigotry.

Completely agree.
Original post by Quantex
T It's like confronting a British male and asking them to explain Jimmy Saville.

I agree with your point but your analogy is poor
Original post by Frank Underwood
Stop being a hate-speech apologist.

Stop being a poor troll. Go play with your lego whilst the grownups talk
Stop being a poor troll. Go play with your lego whilst the grownups talk

Big words from a 9-gem, I'm guessing you're used to bullying and being bullied?
Big words from a 9-gem, I'm guessing you're used to bullying and being bullied?

How did u arrive at that guess champ?
How did u arrive at that guess champ?

Because you can't seem to defend yourself without personal attacks
Original post by Plagioclase

I think it's society as a whole that should discourage dickheadism, but it shouldn't be the place of the law if someone goes "He was a meany to me"
Because you can't seem to defend yourself without personal attacks

You cant seem to engage in any sort of coherent discussion. Fire an accusation, its explained to you and then you move on to something else. You are not here to learn, to discuss.. you are here for attention

Also "personal attacks" :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending