The Student Room Group

Is fish meat or not?

This poll is closed

Are vegetarians who eat fish truly vegetarians?

Yes 53%
No 44%
Not sure3%
Total votes: 59
Recently i overheard a few people talking about food and they were talking about the general area of vegetarians, meat, fish, protein etc and all that.

Someone however said this " I'm a Pescatarian and i never understood ppl who say they're vegetarian but they still each fish "

Now this interests me.

The definition of meat from google is
the flesh of an animal

However strictly speaking fish don't have flesh.
So what constitutes as meat then?
Many will disagree if i said that fish is a vegetable. If fish is neither meat or vegetable what is it then?

The other point is why do some vegetarians eat fish then call themselves vegetarians? Surely a better title would be Pescatarian?

Google's definition of a vegetarian is
a person who does not eat meat or fish, and sometimes other animal products
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course fish have flesh. What part of the fish do you think you're eating?
Yes. Pescatarian is used.
What? Yes of course it is
fish are underwater meat ?
It's wet meat.
I called myself a vegetarian when I was younger (I made the decision to go 'veggie' when I was quite young, but my mum insisted on me still eating fish and dairy products until I was of age - hilariously, I now can't eat any dairy products because of a medical issue :colonhash:). I used the term vegetarian because people understood what I meant and I wasn't keen on eating fish when I didn't have to anyway, so it was better that they gave me vegetarian food.

I like the word pescatarian and maybe more people know what it means now, but when I tried it out in the past I was met with blank faces. Words are only really useful if people understand what you're saying. The general population isn't always that clued up on different diets. In places that sell food I regularly go in and ask whether they have anything dairy free that I can eat and I'm more often than not pointed towards the gluten free food.

To answer your question: I would say that fish is meat for vegetarian purposes, but I understand why people differentiate between red meat, poultry, and fish.
Of course it is.
Reply 8
Original post by Captain Haddock
Of course fish have flesh. What part of the fish do you think you're eating?

here's the definition of flesh
the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of a human or an animal

so does this apply to fish or don't they have this?

Original post by mscaffrey
I called myself a vegetarian when I was younger (I made the decision to go 'veggie' when I was quite young, but my mum insisted on me still eating fish and dairy products until I was of age - hilariously, I now can't eat any dairy products because of a medical issue :colonhash:). I used the term vegetarian because people understood what I meant and I wasn't keen on eating fish when I didn't have to anyway, so it was better that they gave me vegetarian food.

I like the word pescatarian and maybe more people know what it means now, but when I tried it out in the past I was met with blank faces. Words are only really useful if people understand what you're saying. The general population isn't always that clued up on different diets. In places that sell food I regularly go in and ask whether they have anything dairy free that I can eat and I'm more often than not pointed towards the gluten free food.

To answer your question: I would say that fish is meat for vegetarian purposes, but I understand why people differentiate between red meat, poultry, and fish.

wat. fish is meat for vegetarians? so they're thus not vegetarian, they're Pescatarians
Original post by thefatone
here's the definition of flesh
the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of a human or an animal

so does this apply to fish or don't they have this?

wat. fish is meat for vegetarians? so they're thus not vegetarian, they're Pescatarians

I meant that I would class fish as meat if I were still a vegetarian. As in I think vegetarians should avoid fish if they're avoiding things in the meat categories.
Reply 10
Original post by mscaffrey
I meant that I would class fish as meat if I were still a vegetarian. As in I think vegetarians should avoid fish if they're avoiding things in the meat categories.

yup, i think characteristic of things in the category of meat include, blood flowing through the thing, it's alive, it has organs or something to help it survive etc etc
Yes it's meat and on a similar note I find Pescetarianism incredibly non-sensical on moral grounds; not preference grounds.
Original post by thefatone
Recently i overheard a few people talking about food and they were talking about the general area of vegetarians, meat, fish, protein etc and all that.

Someone however said this " I'm a Pescatarian and i never understood ppl who say they're vegetarian but they still each fish "

Now this interests me.

The definition of meat from google is
the flesh of an animal

However strictly speaking fish don't have flesh.
So what constitutes as meat then?
Many will disagree if i said that fish is a vegetable. If fish is neither meat or vegetable what is it then?

The other point is why do some vegetarians eat fish then call themselves vegetarians? Surely a better title would be Pescatarian?

Google's definition of a vegetarian is
a person who does not eat meat or fish, and sometimes other animal products

Is this a joke? Fish, like every other animal, has meat. What made you think otherwise?
Reply 13
Is the pope a catholic
Original post by Inexorably
Yes it's meat and on a similar note I find Pescetarianism incredibly non-sensical on moral grounds; not preference grounds.

why?
To me, it's meat. I'm a vegetarian and if you are eating an actual animal it should be considered 'meat'. I do not eat any meat personally as I want to minimise the harm of animals for my own convenience and that includes fish.
I don't really care if this isn't the technical definition tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I can't believe it's not butter.
Original post by homeland.lsw
why?

I assume you're referring to the second part of my statement?

Because fish is still meat and to make the claim that ''I don't eat meat, except fish because >meat is murder< etc. '' is to make a self-contradictory claim. Fish is meat.
Original post by Inexorably
I assume you're referring to the second part of my statement?

Because fish is still meat and to make the claim that ''I don't eat meat, except fish because >meat is murder< etc. '' is to make a self-contradictory claim. Fish is meat.

ohhhh of course.
But what if I went...I don't really like beef/pork/lamb/chicken but love fish+seafood so will eat those for the rest of my life...
That's normal right?
Reply 19
I would say yes, since they are animals. But compared to eating a mammal, which is akin to your brother, it is more like eating an unrelated person.

Latest

Trending

Trending