The Student Room Group

Restless earth edexcel question help? :-)

Hi, im stuck on this question : examine the differences between oceanic and continental crust.( 6 marks) so i know i need to do point,evidence , explanation twice but im not sure how i do the explanation for this particular question so someone help?
So far, i got :
Oceanic crust and continental crust are made up of different materials. Oceanic crust is made from basaltic while continental crust is made up of granite. An example of oceanic crust is Pacific Ocean while an example of continental crust is any land ares so countries such as the UK. Due to the fact that the oceanic crust is made up of basaltic, which are denser, at the destructive boundary, the oceanic plate is subducted under the continental plate, forming volcanoes and causing earthquakes. Oceanic crust is less thicker(7-10 km) than continental crust(35 km-40m) but is more denser than continental crust.
Original post by Chelsea12345
Hi, im stuck on this question : examine the differences between oceanic and continental crust.( 6 marks) so i know i need to do point,evidence , explanation twice but im not sure how i do the explanation for this particular question so someone help?
So far, i got :
Oceanic crust and continental crust are made up of different materials. Oceanic crust is made from basaltic while continental crust is made up of granite. An example of oceanic crust is Pacific Ocean while an example of continental crust is any land ares so countries such as the UK. Due to the fact that the oceanic crust is made up of basaltic, which are denser, at the destructive boundary, the oceanic plate is subducted under the continental plate, forming volcanoes and causing earthquakes. Oceanic crust is less thicker(7-10 km) than continental crust(35 km-40m) but is more denser than continental crust.

The statements in bold would give you at least one mark (possibly another for the figures). You're repeating quite a bit (about which is dense). I don't think examples would give a mark. Considering this is an examine question, you won't need any explanations. You should add a very obvious point: the oceanic crust forms the oceans and the continental crust forms the continents(?). This usually gets a mark.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
The statements in bold would give you at least one mark (possibly another for the figures). You're repeating quite a bit (about which is dense). I don't think examples would give a mark. Considering this is an examine question, you won't need any explanations. You should add a very obvious point: the oceanic crust forms the oceans and the continental crust forms the continents(?). This usually gets a mark.

so what pattern do i follow if i'm doing an examine question?
so what pattern do i follow if i'm doing an examine question?

It's pretty much 5-6 simple points and provide figures whenever you can, whilst also keeping you're grammar secure ("any land ares" :wink:).
Original post by champ_mc99
It's pretty much 5-6 simple points and provide figures whenever you can, whilst also keeping you're grammar secure ("any land ares" :wink:).

okay thankyou and i'll make sure to keep my grammer in check:biggrin:
Hi Chelsea, I've made a few edits to your current answer, just so it makes a bit more sense. I hope you don't mind! Perhaps you could also mention the difference in age between the two types: oceanic crust is (geologically) very young, with the oldest oceanic crust being only 200 million years old, and the youngest is still being formed at mid-ocean ridges. Continental crust on the other hand, is very old, with some continental crust up to 4 billion years old, however new continental crust is still being formed today by volcanoes. I'm not sure whether writing about the difference in age is actually needed in the answer, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway (I did A Level Geology). Maybe you could also mention the specific densities of oceanic and continental crust as well, (oceanic = 2.9 g/cm3, continental = 2.7 g/cm3), that might get some marks? :smile:

Oceanic crust and continental crust are made up of different geological materials. Oceanic crust is made from basalt while continental crust is made up of granite. An example of oceanic crust is the Pacific plate, while an example of continental crust is the Arabian plate. Because oceanic crust is more dense, it is is subducted under the continental crust at destructive boundaries, forming volcanoes and causing earthquakes. Oceanic crust is thinner (7-10 km) than continental crust (35 km-40m), but has a higher density than continental crust.

I realise that I may have done a bit more than a few edits :colondollar:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Chelsea, I've made a few edits to your current answer, just so it makes a bit more sense. I hope you don't mind! Perhaps you could also mention the difference in age between the two types: oceanic crust is (geologically) very young, with the oldest oceanic crust being only 200 million years old, and the youngest is still being formed at mid-ocean ridges. Continental crust on the other hand, is very old, with some continental crust up to 4 billion years old, however new continental crust is still being formed today by volcanoes. I'm not sure whether writing about the difference in age is actually needed in the answer, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway (I did A Level Geology). Maybe you could also mention the specific densities of oceanic and continental crust as well, (oceanic = 2.9 g/cm3, continental = 2.7 g/cm3), that might get some marks? :smile:

Oceanic crust and continental crust are made up of different geological materials. Oceanic crust is made from basalt while continental crust is made up of granite. An example of oceanic crust is the Pacific plate, while an example of continental crust is the Arabian plate. Because oceanic crust is more dense, it is is subducted under the continental crust at destructive boundaries, forming volcanoes and causing earthquakes. Oceanic crust is thinner (7-10 km) than continental crust (35 km-40m), but has a higher density than continental crust.

thankyou :biggrin:

Hey, I did another past paper question. Do you mind just checking it to see how many marks i would get out of 6?

Explain how intermediate and small scale technology can be used to help improve water resources for people in some parts of developing world.(6) A small scale technology such as hand pumps is used in developing countries such as Bangladesh to improve water resources for people because the hand pump will efficiently reach underground water and will work to provide people with access to continuous water supply that is less likely to be contaminated.The hand pumps are easy to fix as well so can be fixed by villagers, which means that it's a cheap water resource that is sustainable. An example of intermediate technology in developing countries is by building dams such as The Three Gorges Dam in China. The dam will regulate the flow of water, ensuring that there isn't too little water in one area or too much in another area, so reducing summer flooding and winter droughts.
Hey, I did another past paper question. Do you mind just checking it to see how many marks i would get out of 6?

Explain how intermediate and small scale technology can be used to help improve water resources for people in some parts of developing world.(6) A small scale technology such as hand pumps is used in developing countries such as Bangladesh to improve water resources for people because the hand pump will efficiently reach underground water and will work to provide people with access to continuous water supply that is less likely to be contaminated.The hand pumps are easy to fix as well so can be fixed by villagers, which means that it's a cheap water resource that is sustainable. An example of intermediate technology in developing countries is by building dams such as The Three Gorges Dam in China. The dam will regulate the flow of water, ensuring that there isn't too little water in one area or too much in another area, so reducing summer flooding and winter droughts.

I did GCSE Geography with OCR, so I didn't cover this particular topic. Could you perhaps ask your teacher what they think you would get? :smile:
I did GCSE Geography with OCR, so I didn't cover this particular topic. Could you perhaps ask your teacher what they think you would get? :smile:

That's okay:smile: i'll see if i can post a new thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending