The Student Room Group

How many A-level maths exams are there?

i've only been told about C1, what other exams are there and can you give me a brief comment on how difficult they are based on the content involved?
im doing WJEC if it helps
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Depends on how your school is spacing them out. This year I'm taking C1, C2, M1, M2, S1, S2.
You have to take 6 modules in total. C1, C2, C3 and C4 are compulsory and the other 2 modules can be any of the others which in most cases the school will chose, the most common examples of these are decision, mechanics and statistics, there are multiple modules in these areas too for example I did S1 and M1.
As the numbers increase on the module title, it will mean it is of a higher level of difficulty for example C1 and C2 are normally take first year because they are easier than C3 and C4.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depending on board, C1-4, S1-4, M1-5, D1-2, FP1-4, NM, DE. I'm pretty sure there's one I've missed.
edit: also DC, NC
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
C1 - build on from GCSE, introduction to calculus
C2 - more algebra, harder calculus, circles, lots of trig (applications of trig is GCSE stuff)

M1 - kinematics (movement), dynamics (things doing stuff), statics (holding things still), vectors (movement stuff), moments (mathsy see-saws)

Don't know about the other applied modules all too much. I know C3 and C4 have a lot more calculus and trig stuff.
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg
C1 - build on from GCSE, introduction to calculus
C2 - more algebra, harder calculus, circles, lots of trig (applications of trig is GCSE stuff)

M1 - kinematics (movement), dynamics (things doing stuff), statics (holding things still), vectors (movement stuff), moments (mathsy see-saws)

Don't know about the other applied modules all too much. I know C3 and C4 have a lot more calculus and trig stuff.

wait so do you do C3 and 4 then ?

Original post by Lkathryn08
You have to take 6 modules in total. C1, C2, C3 and C4 are compulsory and the other 2 modules can be any of the others which in most cases the school will chose, the most common examples of these are decision, mechanics and statistics, there are multiple modules in these areas too for example I did S1 and M1.
As the numbers increase on the module title, it will mean it is of a higher level of difficulty for example C1 and C2 are normally take first year because they are easier than C3 and C4.

oh my god thats a lot...6?!!!
so how does your school space these exams out? 3 each year?
Reply 6
There's 18+.
Reply 7
From September yeah

In y13 I'm doing C3, C4, FP1, S1, S2 and S3

This year I'm only doing C1, C2 and M1
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
From September yeah

In y13 I'm doing C3, C4, FP1, S1, S2 and S3

This year I'm only doing C1, C2 and M1

you're doing 6 different modules in y13? im so confused D:
Well I did the old system of a levels so when I did it first year is normally is C1, C2 and another module from statistics, mechanics or decision and second year you do C3, C4 and one of the other modules as mentioned above.
Would have to check if this is how the new system of a-levels works, sorry.
Yeah, basically...

Y12 - 3 modules (C1, C2, M1 - AS Maths)
Y13 - 6 modules (C3, C4, S1 - A2 Maths) and (FP1, S2, S3 - AS FM)

I'm taking up FM next year and I really wish I picked it instead of AS biology but hey ho.
It depends on your school and whether your taking further maths, but you always have to 3 modules at AS and 3 modules at A2 (same for further maths). Everyone does C1 and C2 at As and C3 and C4 at A2. At my school my modules are:
AS
Maths: C1 C2 S1
Further Maths: M1 M2 FP1
A2
Maths: C3 C4 D1
Further Maths: S2 S3 FP3
6 exams in normal maths, 12 in further. I did/doing the following
AS: C1, C2, M1

A2: C3, C4, D1

C3 felt like harder AS to me. C4 involves a lot of more advanced differentiation and integration, vectors and algebra (OCR).
C1 build on from gcse algebra
C2 more calculus in depth (turning points etc) but content is easy
C3 intro to natural logs and e
C4 req greater maths ingenuity but content is easy
M1 hard to get head around
M2 easier than C3 now you've done M1
D1 easier than C1 (should be part of GCSE)
D2 interesting module, D1 & D2 should be merged as one tho
Original post by jamestg
Yeah, basically...

Y12 - 3 modules (C1, C2, M1 - AS Maths)
Y13 - 6 modules (C3, C4, S1 - A2 Maths) and (FP1, S2, S3 - AS FM)

I'm taking up FM next year and I really wish I picked it instead of AS biology but hey ho.

Very witless to S2 and S3 next year
Original post by Lkathryn08
Well I did the old system of a levels so when I did it first year is normally is C1, C2 and another module from statistics, mechanics or decision and second year you do C3, C4 and one of the other modules as mentioned above.
Would have to check if this is how the new system of a-levels works, sorry.

The system for maths has not changed and its the same as it was. So you results from the first year still go towards your final grade
Original post by GeologyMaths
Very witless to S2 and S3 next year

Because...
Original post by jamestg
Because...

Lol ok
Original post by GeologyMaths
Lol ok

There's no way I'm doing anymore mechanics modules lmao.
Original post by jamestg
There's no way I'm doing anymore mechanics modules lmao.

Ever heard of D1?

Quick Reply

Latest