The Student Room Group

Help Out of MONEY and in HUGE DEBT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
Basically my family is in huge debt and my dad is being lazy and not doing much about it, he just keeps playing candy crush all the time on his computer, he also spends way too much on anything and everything, he buys to much unnecessary things :/ which of course doesn't help. My mom is super stressed about everything and the fact we have no money left, i.e. they might have to pull me out of boarding school next year. The situation at home is horrible and although it looks as if our house is ok we have no money. My dad abuses pretty much everyone in the house besides the cousin i have who's decided to come or here, at one time or another.(not physical just lots of loud shouting) My mum gets the worst with my dad and her getting into arguments 24/7. of course my dad's always wrong from everything i hear from my mum. I have no reason to believe my mum's lying otherwise she wouldn't be an emotional wreck.

All in all is there anything i can do to get some huge financial help without having to pay back a loan of some sort?

I know how u feel. best thing is review things, change tariffs etc. I did that with my home and were now saving £200+ per month just by switching energy/gas/phone/internet tariffs

Spoiler

ok seriously?

what do i do? all this as year wasted doing nothing with my life basically, my gcse's r turd what can i do? i might get a job at Mcdonalds?

I told you what to do above. talk to your mum and ask her if you will be withdrawn. Just get the truth. Tell her you understand you just wnat to know.

Talk to a teacher or someone you can trust and start and learn to a point.

Presumably you will get transferred to the local state school, then you have to see if you can carry on with your gcses or you just redo the year. Wait and see what happens.

It doesnt have to spell disaster. Yoy can still get to uni.
Reply 22
Original post by GettingitDone
How about £5 for you if you can eat 4 doughnuts without licking your lips or fingers.

If you need to up/alter the stakes try five rolls of Fruit Pastilles -- no chewing or swallowing.
Reply 23
Original post by 999tigger
I told you what to do above. talk to your mum and ask her if you will be withdrawn. Just get the truth. Tell her you understand you just wnat to know.

Presumably you will get transferred to the local state school, then you have to see if you can carry on with your gcses or you just redo the year. Wait and see what happens.

If you significantly improve your performance by the time you are withdrawn you might be able to apply for some sort of scholarship, I don't know how many schools offer these which is why I said it's best to contact them. Not all schools are completely money based, if you have been a student there for a while and you know people do reach out to them.
Original post by whorace
If you significantly improve your performance by the time you are withdrawn you might be able to apply for some sort of scholarship, I don't know how many schools offer these which is why I said it's best to contact them. Not all schools are completely money based, if you have been a student there for a while and you know people do reach out to them.

Youll see my earlier post went through in more detail an I covered contacting and working with the school for a scholarship bursary.

the problem with his dad is he seems to have gone into sticking his head in the sand.
Reply 25
Original post by quasa
I know how u feel. best thing is review things, change tariffs etc. I did that with my home and were now saving £200+ per month just by switching energy/gas/phone/internet tariffs

Spoiler

hmm i think most of the things we're on now is cheapest, internet isn't a problem, that's good and not bad speed.

she said we should've been withdrawn a long time ago
i'll try and talk to a teacher see if the school offers lower fees for a special case or anything
lol dude AS level i've done GCSE and i dam well don't want to do it again.
What uni? it doesn't look like i can go to any decent uni with the grades i got now but if i stay exactly where i am i can keep working hard etc and get those grades up
Reply 26
Youll see my earlier post went through in more detail an I covered contacting and working with the school for a scholarship bursary.

the problem with his dad is he seems to have gone into sticking his head in the sand.

Ok no he's not sticking his head in the sand, he's ignorant, likes to spend, no regard for others, doesn't even love his wife anymore, also we as the rest of the family suspect he's cheating but yea he's a shitty person and i wish i never lived and i wish he never made any children.
hmm i think most of the things we're on now is cheapest, internet isn't a problem, that's good and not bad speed.
she said we should've been withdrawn a long time ago
i'll try and talk to a teacher see if the school offers lower fees for a special case or anything
lol dude AS level i've done GCSE and i dam well don't want to do it again.
What uni? it doesn't look like i can go to any decent uni with the grades i got now but if i stay exactly where i am i can keep working hard etc and get those grades up

It sucks but it looks as though your dads in denial and paralysed. Have you got any teachers you trust? The school will be used to this situation. If you have done half your A levels then the key would be to preserving the credits so you dont have to do it again. See how it goes.
Ok no he's not sticking his head in the sand, he's ignorant, likes to spend, no regard for others, doesn't even love his wife anymore, also we as the rest of the family suspect he's cheating but yea he's a shitty person and i wish i never lived and i wish he never made any children.

You just have to win through and do the best you cna, then when you have kids remember not to be like that.
well it's for my brother and I's fees for school, so technically it's us who really need the money but someone needs to earn it first.

Oh, okay then. Hopefully you'll get some support...

Original post by Platopus
Hey now, let's not blame all this on candy crush - I am happy to report that I am on level 1124 and my family are not in debt... Yet :wink:

How much time have you wasted on this game?

Original post by Vennec
If you need to up/alter the stakes try five rolls of Fruit Pastilles -- no chewing or swallowing.

Sounds tempting.

Hey, why would you say this?

As long as his priority is wife over hobbies/entertainment it's all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive

How much time have you wasted on this game?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be easier to determine how much time I've spent NOT playing it...
Reply 31
It sucks but it looks as though your dads in denial and paralysed. Have you got any teachers you trust? The school will be used to this situation. If you have done half your A levels then the key would be to preserving the credits so you dont have to do it again. See how it goes.

You just have to win through and do the best you cna, then when you have kids remember not to be like that.

yes he denies almost everything which he does which is wrong.
don't quite understand what paralysed means in this context..

i only have people i trust less than other but i do trust some more than others so i guess i could talk to those
my dad has no sense of value of money whatsoever, he buy a fridgeload full of food and stuff for 4 people when 3 of those barely eat anything he cooks at dinner(i'm the sole one who eats a bit) and it all ends up being left up for leftover. i don;t wanna just eat leftovers for breakfast i don't want to cook fried rice and reheat other stuff for my brother and i >.>

oh buddy i'm never gonna have kids, because more free time, loneliness isn't really something that bothers me because i can keep myself preoccupied with other stuff
It means he isnt thinking straight and is in denail i.e not functioning and sorting things out like you expect a grown man to do. It sounds as though he is having a real crisis and his business or job have really fallen apart. he cant deal with it. there must be reasons he had money and now you have none. Not asking.

Obviously I dont know and am only going on the snippets of info you provide. You can always talk to childline and c careers adbiser at the national careers line. You can pop me a pm if you dont know what to do.

Yu have to deal with whats coming as best you can. Other kids manage it and so can you.
Reply 33
Original post by Platopus
Hey now, let's not blame all this on candy crush - I am happy to report that I am on level 1124 and my family are not in debt... Yet :wink:

it's not candy crush which is the problem, it's the fact he's not doing anything about the situation but plays games instead
Original post by whorace
Cut down expenditure
Budget finances properly
Discuss loans to make a better deal
Find a source of income
Ask your school or government about funding measures

Tell your dad to get off his lazy incompetent ass before he ruins everything.

this will never happen.

i guess this advice was useful :biggrin: thanks
Reply 34

Hey, why would you say this?

As long as his priority is wife over hobbies/entertainment it's all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

because it's true. there's no other reason, he never gets up the same time as the rest of the family, he always gets up late, always goes to bed like 3 in the morning always prioritising games over wife.
It's pretty much arguments 90% likely when they see each other
because it's true. there's no other reason, he never gets up the same time as the rest of the family, he always gets up late, always goes to bed like 3 in the morning always prioritising games over wife.

Out of interest fatone does or did he run his own business or is he employed? I dont wnat to know, but you understand yourself why there is no money coming in?

So there is that 10% when they don't argue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Out of interest fatone does or did he run his own business or is he employed? I dont wnat to know, but you understand yourself why there is no money coming in?

self employed and he's a property developer but no clients who want to rent or do anything with the properties so no money :/
So there is that 10% when they don't argue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty much, my parents wake up at different time of the day
self employed and he's a property developer but no clients who want to rent or do anything with the properties so no money :/

You know if push comes to shove he could probably sell a house? Assuming he has a few more properties? Actually, idk in hindsight if that is a good idea. As he might splurge out the money.
Do you have properties to rent? Perhaps business will pick yp and he cna go back to making money if it doesnt require lots of £? Just seeing if things might improve?

Quick Reply

Latest