The Student Room Group

AS Revision

How do I revise? I got through my GCSE exams without doing any revision at all and I have been told by my tutors that if my grades stay the same, I won't get a second year at college. I desperately need to start revising but I have no clue how, and how to motivate myself to do revision.
i have the same situation:redface:

just cover all the content by making notes and do past papers in timed condition
watch videos if you have time of topics being explained, there is plenty of resources online
you just have to realise that AS are completely different to GCSE
Good luck
Original post by Ishea16
i have the same situation:redface:

just cover all the content by making notes and do past papers in timed condition
watch videos if you have time of topics being explained, there is plenty of resources online
you just have to realise that AS are completely different to GCSE
Good luck

I try to do that but it doesn't really help, I have tons of notes on everything. I just don't think secondary schools prepare you enough for how hard AS levels are. Mine didn't anyway, it was a huge shock when I actually started college and it has only just clicked that I can't just wing it like I did at GCSE.
Original post by alsanderson_
How do I revise? I got through my GCSE exams without doing any revision at all and I have been told by my tutors that if my grades stay the same, I won't get a second year at college. I desperately need to start revising but I have no clue how, and how to motivate myself to do revision.

I just read through my AS class notes for each subject. Did no past papers or anything. Came out with AAAA so it can be done without ridiculous amounts of work.
What subjects?
I try to do that but it doesn't really help, I have tons of notes on everything. I just don't think secondary schools prepare you enough for how hard AS levels are. Mine didn't anyway, it was a huge shock when I actually started college and it has only just clicked that I can't just wing it like I did at GCSE.

well atleast you have notes
i have nothing I had to start from scratch
you just need a plan and a structured timetable to help you get through this year
and its linear anyway so next year you'd be ready and will do well in your exams that will actually count
just give it your best shot:smile:
Original post by samb1234
What subjects?

AS geography, AS business, AS law and AS history.
1. I'd make a timetable, try to arrange the hardest subjects you find first. Don't run away from it or leave it till later. Make a sensible timetable, not 5 hours straight of ........without any rest. Don't exceed your limits. every 1hr you take a short 5-10 minute break.
2. Notes, use colour, get creative with pictures and illustrations, making dull notes on the page will not motivate you to work. if you get bored with reading, why not try to watch a video on the subject? for example, if you're doing history watch a documentary about the topic. If you're doing maths, try YouTube, which has a lot of useful videos, same thing with science.
3. Lock your phone away, furthest room possible turn of the power, so it'll have to take some effort for you to get up and get it. So you wouldn't resort to peak at your phone and break your concentration, which is important for you to maintain.
4. JUST GET ON WITH IT! Don't be like me..i always say..i'll start revising in 10 minutes...believe me...the 10 minutes will soon turn into 10 hours! maybe even 10 days.
I wish you do well in your exams :biggrin: You will have all summer holidays to relax and have fun, this time is for revision. :smile:
Original post by Ishea16
well atleast you have notes
i have nothing I had to start from scratch
you just need a plan and a structured timetable to help you get through this year
and its linear anyway so next year you'd be ready and will do well in your exams that will actually count
just give it your best shot:smile:

I've literally had to start from scratch in the past couple of months. In my December mocks I got U, U, D-, E-. I did the worst out of all of my friends hahaha, but I guess they only mocks and don't mean anything anyway
I've literally had to start from scratch in the past couple of months. In my December mocks I got U, U, D-, E-. I did the worst out of all of my friends hahaha, but I guess they only mocks and don't mean anything anyway

i got something similar lol my reports came today and im predicted the same grades
but mocks do mean something, dont ignore them, use them to improve:smile:
but obvs what you get at the end thats the final thing.
Original post by Miss.Unknow
1. I'd make a timetable, try to arrange the hardest subjects you find first. Don't run away from it or leave it till later. Make a sensible timetable, not 5 hours straight of ........without any rest. Don't exceed your limits. every 1hr you take a short 5-10 minute break.
2. Notes, use colour, get creative with pictures and illustrations, making dull notes on the page will not motivate you to work. if you get bored with reading, why not try to watch a video on the subject? for example, if you're doing history watch a documentary about the topic. If you're doing maths, try YouTube, which has a lot of useful videos, same thing with science.
3. Lock your phone away, furthest room possible turn of the power, so it'll have to take some effort for you to get up and get it. So you wouldn't resort to peak at your phone and break your concentration, which is important for you to maintain.
4. JUST GET ON WITH IT! Don't be like me..i always say..i'll start revising in 10 minutes...believe me...the 10 minutes will soon turn into 10 hours! maybe even 10 days.
I wish you do well in your exams :biggrin: You will have all summer holidays to relax and have fun, this time is for revision. :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :smile: I will get on with this tomorrow, not now as its 23:27 lol I'm practically dead and all of my friends are out partying hahahaha. This is 100x more helpful than any of my teachers have told me, thank you!!
Original post by Ishea16
i got something similar lol my reports came today and im predicted the same grades
but mocks do mean something, dont ignore them, use them to improve:smile:
but obvs what you get at the end thats the final thing.

I had a progress review yesterday with my tutor, and I'm currently achieving around a D in 3 out of 4 subjects. To get into a second year I need 3 D's and 95% attendance, and I have 90% attendance, so I really need to boost my grades to make sure I get a second year, because my college are quite cut throat as to who they get rid of during summer
AS geography, AS business, AS law and AS history.

Didn't do any of those but the principles are the same regardless of the subject. Firstly, be honest with yourself. If you are awful at a topic, there is no point hiding and pretending it will all be fine, and likewise it is ok to say 'yeah I know this topic' and only do minimal work for that area, which will help you to maximise what you get out of the time you put into revision.

Secondly, once you know what areas you need to improve in, use whatever method works for you, starting with the topics you are worst at - whether that be asking your teacher for help, making notes, flashcards etc - everyone is different so you need to find what works for you. Prioritize the topics you are worst at to begin with. Emphasise understanding over recall - recall might get you a couple of marks in the exam, but if you properly understand what is happening you should be able to come up with those 2 marks anyway as well as being able to apply it to unfamiliar situations.

Thirdly, use your specification. It literally tells you briefly everything you need to know, so if you can go into the exam knowing everything on there you are set.

Once you understand everything, do some past papers to try and get a feel for the style, the type of questions they ask etc and hopefully by this stage you should have the required knowledge to get high marks in your past papers, and then the exam itself should be no different really
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
I just read through my AS class notes for each subject. Did no past papers or anything. Came out with AAAA so it can be done without ridiculous amounts of work.

What subjects did you do, that's incredible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Didn't do any of those but the principles are the same regardless of the subject. Firstly, be honest with yourself. If you are awful at a topic, there is no point hiding and pretending it will all be fine, and likewise it is ok to say 'yeah I know this topic' and only do minimal work for that area, which will help you to maximise what you get out of the time you put into revision.

Secondly, once you know what areas you need to improve in, use whatever method works for you, starting with the topics you are worst at - whether that be asking your teacher for help, making notes, flashcards etc - everyone is different so you need to find what works for you. Prioritize the topics you are worst at to begin with. Emphasise understanding over recall - recall might get you a couple of marks in the exam, but if you properly understand what is happening you should be able to come up with those 2 marks anyway as well as being able to apply it to unfamiliar situations.

Thirdly, use your specification. It literally tells you briefly everything you need to know, so if you can go into the exam knowing everything on there you are set.

Once you understand everything, do some past papers to try and get a feel for the style, the type of questions they ask etc and hopefully by this stage you should have the required knowledge to get high marks in your past papers, and then the exam itself should be no different really

This really helps, thank you:smile: I have an attendance of 90% so I am missing quite a lot of work. It is half term now too so I can't see any of my teachers to get the work I am missing:frown: And my first exam is 5 weeks after I come back so I really am screwed
This really helps, thank you:smile: I have an attendance of 90% so I am missing quite a lot of work. It is half term now too so I can't see any of my teachers to get the work I am missing:frown: And my first exam is 5 weeks after I come back so I really am screwed

You are if you have that attitude. You have past papers, online notes, specifications etc etc. Take the initiative and get started with revision/learning content - your teachers can't do the work for you. Best of luck

I recommended following the exam threads for your subjects. you can find them here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3964515

and here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3925187
Original post by cathartic
What subjects did you do, that's incredible

Posted from TSR Mobile

English lit, history, geography and philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest