The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Music Thread 2015/2016

Haven't seen a thread, it's getting to the business end of the year, so why not...
Few resources that I've found massively helpful:

A Fab Youtube channel with all the set works on screen while playing the track in the background. Great for seeing what's going on while listening. (Webern's somewhere else on the channel)

Absolute madness on the Edexcel site - basically where your teachers probably get all their info on the set works. If you've missed anything in your lessons, this is the place to go. Scroll down and you'll find piles of info on the set works. (You also can listen to some exemplar performance stuff which actually is pretty morale-boosting because they really are quite average)

Add to the resources if you want to get in on the action. Any favourite set works? I've also got A4 Sheets with the Notes on the Set Works if anyone is in desperate need of stuff.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hogree
Haven't seen a thread, it's getting to the business end of the year, so why not...
Few resources that I've found massively helpful:

A Fab Youtube channel with all the set works on screen while playing the track in the background. Great for seeing what's going on while listening. (Webern's somewhere else on the channel)

Absolute madness on the Edexcel site - basically where your teachers probably get all their info on the set works. If you've missed anything in your lessons, this is the place to go. Scroll down and you'll find piles of info on the set works. (You also can listen to some exemplar performance stuff which actually is pretty morale-boosting because they really are quite average)

Add to the resources if you want to get in on the action. Any favourite set works? I've also got A4 Sheets with the Notes on the Set Works if anyone is in desperate need of stuff.

Just an extra revision suggestion; using small revision cards with bar numbers on them and writing down what happens in each bar in relation to points you could make in essays i.e. what the tonality/harmony/melody/rhythm etc :smile:

Have you started revising yet? If so, what? (If you don't mind me asking!) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HRM1999
Just an extra revision suggestion; using small revision cards with bar numbers on them and writing down what happens in each bar in relation to points you could make in essays i.e. what the tonality/harmony/melody/rhythm etc :smile:

Have you started revising yet? If so, what? (If you don't mind me asking!) :smile:

Great shout from you! Yeah might do that.

Not really. We've done the set works so we just revise in class mainly. I think I'm just trying different combinations for the 18 mark questions.

Sweet technique, for the essay questions you know you can always pick between vocal and instrumental. So I'm just going to revise the bar numbers for the instrumentals in detail because I know I'm going to do those essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Do you know where to find practise questions for the set works this year?? they change every year so idk where to find them...
Original post by abbeyc_99
Do you know where to find practise questions for the set works this year?? they change every year so idk where to find them...

I'm pretty sure the set works were the same in 2011, so you could use that past paper? Though I think that's the only one, so you might want to save it until you're a bit closer to the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by beth.stoney
I'm pretty sure the set works were the same in 2011, so you could use that past paper? Though I think that's the only one, so you might want to save it until you're a bit closer to the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much!
Reply 6
Can anyone help with how to structure an 18 marker?

the question is:

Compare and contrast the harmony andstructure of the following pieces:
Dekker: You can get it if youreally want
Oasis: Don’t look back in anger
thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by e.hal9
Can anyone help with how to structure an 18 marker?

the question is:

Compare and contrast the harmony andstructure of the following pieces:
Dekker: You can get it if youreally want
Oasis: Don’t look back in anger
thanks!

The way that my teacher suggested doing 18 markers is to (in a plan) do a table of everything on harmony and structure then link up points. To make sure you get as many marks as possible, you want to male sure you have about 7-9 points on each song- what I didnt realise is that similarities are still 2 marks if you are referring to both pieces! Also try and get in some examples if you can

For what order to do it in, id probably go for things that are straightforward first and then the more detailed bits, so the basic structure of the pieces would be probably the first thing you would mention
I hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 8
The way that my teacher suggested doing 18 markers is to (in a plan) do a table of everything on harmony and structure then link up points. To make sure you get as many marks as possible, you want to male sure you have about 7-9 points on each song- what I didnt realise is that similarities are still 2 marks if you are referring to both pieces! Also try and get in some examples if you can

For what order to do it in, id probably go for things that are straightforward first and then the more detailed bits, so the basic structure of the pieces would be probably the first thing you would mention
I hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you! That's really helpful:smile:
Does anybody studying AS level music have any tips on how to revise the set pieces?
Reply 10
AS Music Blog with Notes and (hopefully soon) Practice Questions that my class has set up. https://blogasmusic.wordpress.com
For the 10 and 20 mark question on the set works I'm using flash cards to learn as much as i can about the pieces. For the 4 part harmony question I'm just practising those but I'm actually shitting the listening because i am so so bad at it :/
Anyone know a website where there are some practise listening questions because you cant get the audio files off of the edexcel website and there is only 1 other year that these pieces have been on!
Original post by lucx_s
For the 10 and 20 mark question on the set works I'm using flash cards to learn as much as i can about the pieces. For the 4 part harmony question I'm just practising those but I'm actually shitting the listening because i am so so bad at it :/

Glad im not the only one worried about the listening bit!! It's so difficult!!!
Original post by BrandonF1407
Anyone know a website where there are some practise listening questions because you cant get the audio files off of the edexcel website and there is only 1 other year that these pieces have been on!

I just typed in 'Edexcel AS music listening' into Google and found this website :
https://renrec.co.uk/edexcel/
I think you have to pay for it (I've never used it), but that may be of help to you:smile:
If this exam goes wrong tomorrow, does anyone know if we can retake next year?
Reply 16
Original post by beth.stoney
If this exam goes wrong tomorrow, does anyone know if we can retake next year?

I'm kind of hoping so. I mean it isn't linear yet so I don't see why not?
I'd imagine that, unfortunately, we'd have to learn the AS pieces the exam board set for that year??
I'd imagine that, unfortunately, we'd have to learn the AS pieces the exam board set for that year??

I'd think so, as the question paper will be for the 2016-2017 AS music students.
Reply 19
Has anyone written high-scoring 10-markers on the Bach or Haydn? Or, for that matter the Tippett and Webern. Would be interested to read other answers.

Massively helped, by the way, by looking through the Examiners Report for our 2011 paper http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Music/2013/Exam%20materials/6MU03_01_pef_20110817.pdf . Esp the exemplar answers. Interesting how one of the answers just includes a list of bullet points that she didn't mention at the end of her essay. Might be a way of getting extra kudos lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending