The Student Room Group

GF has bulimia. How can I make her feel desirable?

My GF is gorgeous, both objectively and to me, but she doesn't see it. She has a long history of bulimia and constantly worries about her weight.

What can I say to her, in the way of compliments etc, to make her realise that she is the most beautiful girl in the world to me?
Original post by Anonymous
My GF is gorgeous, both objectively and to me, but she doesn't see it. She has a long history of bulimia and constantly worries about her weight.

What can I say to her, in the way of compliments etc, to make her realise that she is the most beautiful girl in the world to me?

Whilst the compliments might help, an eating disorder is not easily cured. It will most likely require the help of professionals. If she has a long history of bulimia, is she getting help from her doctor?

The compliments can help but professional help is what she needs. Is she getting any? That and you sticking by her side will help her get closer to hopefully recovering or even just getting a little bettee
It's difficult to make someone see what you see in them. The best thing is to love someone through it until they realise their worth themselves.

And maybe steer clear of saying anything related to weight even if you think it's a compliment. When you have an ED or anxiety disorder you can turn the most well meaning comments into reasons you should be doing something about your 'flaws'.
Reply 4
Original post by Cashmere_Cat
Whilst the compliments might help, an eating disorder is not easily cured. It will most likely require the help of professionals. If she has a long history of bulimia, is she getting help from her doctor?

Thanks for your reply.

She is, yeah. No, absolutely, I understand that compliments and reassurance won't make too great a contribution towards her recovery, but she I just want to make her feel valued and attractive and to reassure her of how great her physique actually is.
Thanks for your reply.

She is, yeah. No, absolutely, I understand that compliments and reassurance won't make too great a contribution towards her recovery, but she I just want to make her feel valued and attractive and to reassure her of how great her physique actually is.

You sound like a lovely and supportive partner, keep doing what you're doing!
if she is actively bulimic at the moment DO NOT compliment her 'physique', it's quite possible that getting herself healthy will mean gaining a few pounds and so all she will hear is 'you're pretty now but if you stop throwing up you wont be anymore'

try and compliment her on things which are not her weight to reinforce that she has value aside from what she looks like, e.g. compliment her on achievements, talents (not exercise related though as this could be related to her ED), personality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending