The Student Room Group

Student finance overpayment help.

Hey guys.

I started a course at the begging of September in the city of liverpool college but I was removed from the course near enough at the end of September due to social anxiety issues. I only attended one class.

I'm a student from Northern Ireland and was too scared to tell the folks back home so I just stayed in liverpool.

I came home for the Easter break on Sunday with a letter from student finance saying they gave me an overpayment of £2154 and that they would like me too start paying it back on the 6th April.
I have recieved help for my anxiety since September.

My question is, I'm going to reapply to the college again next year but will I still be eligible for student finance even if they gave me an overpayment of £2154? I'm really worried that I've completely messed my whole life up over stupid anxiety.

Thank you very much for your replies I appreciate it. :smile:
Original post by Monkey96
Hey guys.

I started a course at the begging of September in the city of liverpool college but I was removed from the course near enough at the end of September due to social anxiety issues. I only attended one class.

I'm a student from Northern Ireland and was too scared to tell the folks back home so I just stayed in liverpool.

I came home for the Easter break on Sunday with a letter from student finance saying they gave me an overpayment of £2154 and that they would like me too start paying it back on the 6th April.
I have recieved help for my anxiety since September.

My question is, I'm going to reapply to the college again next year but will I still be eligible for student finance even if they gave me an overpayment of £2154? I'm really worried that I've completely messed my whole life up over stupid anxiety.

Did you choose to back out because of social anxiety?
Reply 2
Original post by Squishy•
Did you choose to back out because of social anxiety?

I did yea squishy
Reply 3

So how much student finance did you get? Two terms worth?

I believe you can set up a repayment plan to pay back what you owe, also if you withdrew due to health reasons you need to make sure this was noted as you will have been entitled to an extra 60 days funding so that would reduce the amount you owe (unless they already took it off). You will be entitled to student finance again if you have only done one year studying (are you on a degree?) however there is a chance they may take what you owe them out of your first payment.
Reply 4
Original post by Jenx301
So how much student finance did you get? Two terms worth?

I believe you can set up a repayment plan to pay back what you owe, also if you withdrew due to health reasons you need to make sure this was noted as you will have been entitled to an extra 60 days funding so that would reduce the amount you owe (unless they already took it off). You will be entitled to student finance again if you have only done one year studying (are you on a degree?) however there is a chance they may take what you owe them out of your first payment.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Yes I recieved two terms worth of grants not loans. I will not be receiving my third terms.

I was studying a HNC as I didn't have enough points to go directly to uni.

Do you think there will be a problem with the college letting me back in again next year?
Reply 5
Hey, thanks for your reply.

Yes I recieved two terms worth of grants not loans. I will not be receiving my third terms.

I was studying a HNC as I didn't have enough points to go directly to uni.

Do you think there will be a problem with the college letting me back in again next year?

I don't know really - you would have to speak to them about it. Did you intermit or just drop out altogether? If you just dropped out altogether then might you have to formally reapply? I'm not sure so you would need to ask the college
Nornally what happens is they either reduce your next courses funding by the amount you were overpaid or you can ask them to take it off in smaller amounts i.e £500 a payment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending