The Student Room Group

Hiw come my dad has this double standard?

when im at my parents, they tell me off for swearing in normal conversation. My dad says its disgusting for a daughter. Yet in the evening when my dad is on playstation and im sat at the other side of the room relaxing he is swearing almost every sentance '****ing dickhead' '****ing hell' etc I must have heard him say it over 40 times.

So I cant say it yet I cant sit in the room without hearing it myself. I hate the double standard. Talked about it but he never changes so Ive started swearing more again.

Am I being petty? Its just that double standards annoy me.
Reply 1
You clearly haven't played playstation, the rules of etiquette are briefly suspended.
That is a double standard, it's like when my mum says it's not 'lady like' to whistle, I'll whistle if I want!!!
I wonder what he'd say if you confronted him about his double standards. You might teach him something :h:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I wonder what he'd say if you confronted him about his double standards. You might teach him something :h:

He is swearing not in conversation but in frustration.
No double standards in my opinion.
Reply 5

Oh i have, he doesnt give a direct answer, it bever sunks in. Unfortunately you cant have a proper conversation with him, he just gets defensive and sometimes says piss off.
Reply 6
sorry for spelling errors ^
Reply 7
Original post by ODES_PDES

He's laughing as he says it sometimes, hardly frustrated.
Original post by ODES_PDES

I agree to disagree because, in any case, he's swearing :dontknow:
Original post by Anonymous
He's laughing as he says it sometimes, hardly frustrated.

I agree to disagree because, in any case, he's swearing :dontknow:

I thought I will play devil's advocate!
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Your dad plays Playstation? What is he - 12?

Add 51

No offence but I don't think it's the job of the child to tell a parent how to behave (within reason of course)
Original post by kieran12321LFC
No offence but I don't think it's the job of the child to tell a parent how to behave (within reason of course)

I think that is the case most of the time but I believe that there should be more discussion in a relationship than commands for it to be a good one.

Then again, that isn't the case most of the time :biggrin:
I think that is the case most of the time but I believe that there should be more discussion in a relationship than commands for it to be a good one.

Then again, that isn't the case most of the time :biggrin:

I suppose class also comes into it for example a lad can talk about lots of stuff with his parents in a middle class family but the only sort of stuff that working class lads talk about with their dad's is "What was the score?"
Original post by Anonymous
when im at my parents, they tell me off for swearing in normal conversation. My dad says its disgusting for a daughter. Yet in the evening when my dad is on playstation and im sat at the other side of the room relaxing he is swearing almost every sentance '****ing dickhead' '****ing hell' etc I must have heard him say it over 40 times.

So I cant say it yet I cant sit in the room without hearing it myself. I hate the double standard. Talked about it but he never changes so Ive started swearing more again.

Am I being petty? Its just that double standards annoy me.

Does he play Fifa and/or COD?

There's nothing like these two to make an otherwise normal person descend into a fit of rage.:angry:
Original post by JamesN88
Does he play Fifa and/or COD?

There's nothing like these two to make an otherwise normal person descend into a fit of rage.:angry:

GTA mainly, he just runs around with a gun throwing people out of cars.
He said it's disgusting for a daughter to swear... Since he is the head of the household and your father, it's his prerogative. I can understand where he's coming from. I don't like swearing around my mum tbh although she swears from time to time, its just different when a child does it.
Probably based on principle. You shouldn't be swearing to your parents and he said it was disgusting for his daughter to swear - not for you to swear in general. He just doesn't want you swearing whilst having a conversation with him. It's a respect thing, or that's how it is in my family.

I can't swear whilst having a conversation with my mum, but if my cat scratches me and I say that it ******* hurt, she doesn't care. As long as I'm not directing the swear words to her or using them in a conversation with her, she isn't bothered.
Original post by phunky_fresh
He said it's disgusting for a daughter to swear... Since he is the head of the household and your father, it's his prerogative. I can understand where he's coming from. I don't like swearing around my mum tbh although she swears from time to time, its just different when a child does it.

Your mum swears from time to time everyone does, but imagine her sat on a games console and you have to hear the word **** over and over again in every other sentance when you are trying to relax. Then imagine her, as the head of the household, later on in the day her saying that it's disgusting for you to swear. She would be that much of an hypocrite that it's laughable. 'With great power comes great responsibility' (says Spider-Man's aunt not me), shouldn't parents be role models.
I almost never lose my temper or swear. But playing Tekken Revolution I have smashed up my controller against the wall, and shouting profanity at the TV.

Quick Reply

Latest