The Student Room Group

Where do I get contraceptions?? (17)

I'm 17 and I'm a student (sixth form). I want to get condoms and birth control pills since I'm going to start having sex soon and the whole sexual health and keeping safe is everywhere. I'm also in London.

Am I eligible for free contraceptions and if so where do I go and what's the whole process?? If not I'll probably buy it online (save myself embarrassment) and where's the best place to get them??
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 and I'm a student (sixth form). I want to get condoms and birth control pills since I'm going to start having sex soon and the whole sexual health and keeping safe is everywhere. I'm also in London.

Am I eligible for free contraceptions and if so where do I go and what's the whole process?? If not I'll probably buy it online (save myself embarrassment) and where's the best place to get them??

Condoms you can easily get for free from sexual health clinics. Everyone is eligible for these.

For the contraceptive pill, you'll need to go see your GP, as the pill requires a couple of health checks and a prescription, however, you don't have to pay any prescription charges for it

there's nothing embarrassing about avoiding teen pregnancy, just go into a clinic for some and you'll be fine
Original post by super_kawaii
Condoms you can easily get for free from sexual health clinics. Everyone is eligible for these.

For the contraceptive pill, you'll need to go see your GP, as the pill requires a couple of health checks and a prescription, however, you don't have to pay any prescription charges for it

You can get birth control pills from the sexual health clinic where you get condoms. They do the health checks and there's no prescription required. Much easier as you can get free condoms and free birth control pills all in one go. But you wouldn't need to go to the GP for any contraception, as all contraception can be done at sexual health clinics.

I've been going to them for four years and they've given me condoms, pills, the implant, and have offered other forms of contraception too. No GP appointment required for any of the clinics I've been to.
Original post by georgiaswift
You can get birth control pills from the sexual health clinic where you get condoms. They do the health checks and there's no prescription required. Much easier as you can get free condoms and free birth control pills all in one go. But you wouldn't need to go to the GP for any contraception, as all contraception can be done at sexual health clinics.

I've been going to them for four years and they've given me condoms, pills, the implant, and have offered other forms of contraception too. No GP appointment required for any of the clinics I've been to.

When I got the pill from the sexual health clinic, I was still provided with a prescription. The contraceptive pill is a prescription only drug. I found them very judgy at the clinic, hence why I prefer going to my GP
When I got the pill from the sexual health clinic, I was still provided with a prescription. The contraceptive pill is a prescription only drug. I found them very judgy at the clinic, hence why I prefer going to my GP

I have never received a prescription in the four years of taking it, so it can't be a prescription only drug. They have just given them to me at the sexual health clinic.
I have never received a prescription in the four years of taking it, so it can't be a prescription only drug. They have just given them to me at the sexual health clinic.

Must be different in different local councils. Whenever I got it from the clinic, I received a prescription, same as I do when I go to my GP. I just find my GP a lot less judgy than the nurses at the clinic-at the clinic they made me feel like a dirty slag for wanting to go on the pill, hence why I always go to my GP now
Must be different in different local councils. Whenever I got it from the clinic, I received a prescription, same as I do when I go to my GP. I just find my GP a lot less judgy than the nurses at the clinic-at the clinic they made me feel like a dirty slag for wanting to go on the pill, hence why I always go to my GP now

Yeah it must be, in Hertfordshire (where I live) I've been to four different ones and never required a prescription. It's not good that the clinic makes you feel like that as they're supposed to be helpful and professional, but if you have experienced that then I understand why you might not want to go back to that specific one.
Yeah it must be, in Hertfordshire (where I live) I've been to four different ones and never required a prescription. It's not good that the clinic makes you feel like that as they're supposed to be helpful and professional, but if you have experienced that then I understand why you might not want to go back to that specific one.

I'm in South Yorkshire (go to uni in Sheffield), and I've got the pill from two clinics and got a prescription both times.

The clinics have always been professional when I've gone for STI testing, it just seems providing hormonal contraception they're a bit funny about. I went to the clinic to get the morning after pill once and the nurse really patronisingly told me I should use more normal contraception. Funnily enough, I needed the morning after pill because of condom failure!
Reply 9

Original post by Mayhem™
there's nothing embarrassing about avoiding teen pregnancy, just go into a clinic for some and you'll be fine

okay so I've had a look online and my nearest "sexual health clinic" is my nearest walk in clinic. So do I just go in there and what do I say??
okay so I've had a look online and my nearest "sexual health clinic" is my nearest walk in clinic. So do I just go in there and what do I say??

You should go to the front desk and tell the receptionist you want to talk to someone about going on the contraceptive pill. They'll put your request in the system, then you'll be asked to wait until a nurse calls you to be seen. It's a very simple procedure, not very different to going to your GP. You may have to wait a while at busy times though.

Yep, so check their opening times and go in. There may be a bit of a wait as it's a walk in clinic. You fill out a form explaining what you need and then when someone is free you'll be taken into a private room where they'll ask you questions such as if you might be pregnant, if you have a regular partner etc. They'll give you a bag with conforms in and if you want the pill they'll need to take your blood pressure and ask a few health related questions such as your breast cancer risk and things. If you're healthy they'll give you a box containing three months worth of the pill and away you go!
You should go to the front desk and tell the receptionist you want to talk to someone about going on the contraceptive pill. They'll put your request in the system, then you'll be asked to wait until a nurse calls you to be seen. It's a very simple procedure, not very different to going to your GP. You may have to wait a while at busy times though.

sounds scary :lol: but i guess getting pregnant is scarier
sounds scary :lol: but i guess getting pregnant is scarier

You get used to it-I've been on the pill since 6th form (I'm now a 4th year at uni) for a mixture of contraceptive and other medical reasons and it's no different to any other doctors appointments. Giving out contraception is nothing new for doctors and nurses and is something they're trained to do. Going to see my GP to renew my prescription is now just a normal part of my life, no more unusual than going to class or going grocery shopping :smile:
Google,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending