The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

advice on house hunting for 2nd year?

Hey, I'm looking for somewhere to live in second year. Cathays was a good area this year as all my lectures and things I needed were close. I don't have a car, so possibly similar distances is what I should be looking for. I don't really know how to work out what prices I should be looking at, what the price shown in adverts include. Also any thoughts you have on living on your own vs with people would help narrow it down too. Where do I start and what things do I definitely need to know about the whole process? Things to ask people and who I should talk to. I'm clueless really aha.

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Heres a general checklist. It will just be common sense.

On your own or with people, thats expense v your own space and sociability questions.
Private or uni. that has a big impact. the hafway house seems to be private halls.
Draw up a list of whats included and what isnt in terms of bills, broadband and also importnat terns like deposits. its all on the checklust. If you have friends then start grouping together and figuring out what you wnat to rent.

http://www.nus.org.uk/Global/NUS-Housing-checklist-final.pdf
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Heres a general checklist. It will just be common sense.

On your own or with people, thats expense v your own space and sociability questions.
Private or uni. that has a big impact. the hafway house seems to be private halls.
Draw up a list of whats included and what isnt in terms of bills, broadband and also importnat terns like deposits. its all on the checklust. If you have friends then start grouping together and figuring out what you wnat to rent.

http://www.nus.org.uk/Global/NUS-Housing-checklist-final.pdf

thanks i have a checklist just dont know what to do after found a house like the process of seeing and buying it
Original post by SeemsToBe
thanks i have a checklist just dont know what to do after found a house like the process of seeing and buying it

soemthing like this. Obviously its more complicated if you are renting with others.

Arrange a viewing

If you decide you wnat it, then tell the agent.

They will probably do some checks on you or require certain forms of guarantee or ID. X amount of rent and maybe a deposit. 4-6 weeks. Whatever the LL has asked for. the depost goes into a safe scgeme for soemone to hold.

They get back the credit checks.

They give you a lease to read and sign . Read it but they are unlikley to budge on terms. You cna try and pay lower rent, but dont expect a yes. Pretty much a take it or leave it. Sign it and you are bound by the agreement probably for a year.

Breach it and they might terminate it or take money from your deposit.

On the day you move in you go and get the keys. the Ll has probably made you responsible for the utilities, but check you are signed up for them including water and notifying the council for CT purposes..

If its furnished then take photos and chceck the inventory.

Move in.

There might be regular inspections, just read the lease, they are all slightly different, but you are responsible for what you sign. Think thats it?

Oh when you leave you need to have paid all bills and made sure its clean and all the inebtory is there plus undamaged.

LL gives you the deposit back.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
soemthing like this. Obviously its more complicated if you are renting with others.

Arrange a viewing

If you decide you wnat it, then tell the agent.

They will probably do some checks on you or require certain forms of guarantee or ID. X amount of rent and maybe a deposit. 4-6 weeks. Whatever the LL has asked for. the depost goes into a safe scgeme for soemone to hold.

They get back the credit checks.

They give you a lease to read and sign . Read it but they are unlikley to budge on terms. You cna try and pay lower rent, but dont expect a yes. Pretty much a take it or leave it. Sign it and you are bound by the agreement probably for a year.

Breach it and they might terminate it or take money from your deposit.

On the day you move in you go and get the keys. the Ll has probably made you responsible for the utilities, but check you are signed up for them including water and notifying the council for CT purposes..

If its furnished then take photos and chceck the inventory.

Move in.

There might be regular inspections, just read the lease, they are all slightly different, but you are responsible for what you sign. Think thats it?

Oh when you leave you need to have paid all bills and made sure its clean and all the inebtory is there plus undamaged.

LL gives you the deposit back.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for taking the time and your help, I really appreciate it
Is that what you wanted? Who your LL is depends on the process. Uni is easier, private LLs can decide what they like, letting agents look to make miney from you.
If you move in with other people you must decide who has responsibility for what so you dont end up with their bills. You also need to understan its an agreement for which you are liable i.e you have to pay the rent for the whole conract unless, theres a serious breach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending