The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Refugees in Europe might suffer from PTSD?

I have read quite a bit on here about how refugees from the Arabic, Asian and African countries are getting in trouble with the law for really harsh crimes.

I try to take a step back and usually don't comment on those stories, as I sometimes feel its exaggerated by the press as because lets face it, some don't want refugees in Europe/their country. And the news and media will reflect that, as well as their own prejudice.

There was the riots in Germany (like Cologne), and stories of serious crime and sexual assault in camps.

(p.s. I have no sympathy for rapists and sexual abusers) however I feel like violent outbursts like riots and stabbings are the effects of coming from war-torn countries.

When you have PTSD, which I think I may have (not war but personal trauma), you react emotionally and in a panic-stricken way to situations which are reminiscent of your trauma, and situations in general. I understand the poor conditions of camps could make them feel claustrophobic, hopeless and full of dread.

Do you think this is a reaction to what they have seen in war and society's racism toward them?

Scroll to see replies

No. In the past, refugees escaping from similar experiences did not display such barbaric and violent behaviour
Reply 2
Original post by teenhorrorstory
No. In the past, refugees escaping from similar experiences did not display such barbaric and violent behaviour

My parents are refugees and the war, not even in Somalia (where they're from) wasn't as atrocious as conflict nowadays.
[QUOTE=MJlover;63639661]My parents are refugees and the war, not even in Somalia (where they're from) wasn't as atrocious as conflict nowadays.

Main example that springs to mind is Bosnian refugees. What they went through and some of the things they witnessed must have been truly traumatic and difficult to deal with. Yet when they were taken in by other countries as refugees and asylum seekers, they did not behave like the present refugees.
If someone's reaction from PTSD is to sexually assault someone then they should be locked up and given help, not be allowed to run the streets. This then leads to the issue of there not being enough resources to help everyone and at this point, no more should be allowed in.

Sorry but I don't buy the PTSD story in this case. They will have witnessed terrible things but the things that have been done are no excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
lmao sorry but "violent outbursts like riots and stabbings" are inexcusable, PTSD or otherwise. If they want to be violent they should go back to the dump that "caused it".

mfw "sorry I stabbed you 36 times but my country was a bad place"
Reply 6
A very clever thread.
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia
lmao sorry but "violent outbursts like riots and stabbings" are inexcusable, PTSD or otherwise. If they want to be violent they should go back to the dump that "caused it".

mfw "sorry I stabbed you 36 times but my country was a bad place"

Original post by Moonstruck16
If someone's reaction from PTSD is to sexually assault someone then they should be locked up and given help, not be allowed to run the streets. This then leads to the issue of there not being enough resources to help everyone and at this point, no more should be allowed in.

Sorry but I don't buy the PTSD story in this case. They will have witnessed terrible things but the things that have been done are no excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you really think that these incidents represent the majority of refugees, sorry, but you really think that most refugees are rapists ect?

I had said in my OP that I have no sympathy for sexual abusers, they are in the minority, but I think that PTSD may explain other violence and rioting.
Reply 8
Original post by M14B
A very clever thread.

why? I'm not trying to prove anything, its just something I thought about and I'm also relating my own experiences with PTSD.
Reply 9
Original post by MJlover
Do you really think that these incidents represent the majority of refugees, sorry, but you really think that most refugees are rapists ect?

I had said in my OP that I have no sympathy for sexual abusers, they are in the minority, but I think that PTSD may explain other violence and rioting.

I never said they did, I said that these incidents are inexcusable. If they commit violent crimes, they should either be deported or jailed.
Reply 10
Original post by Arkasia
I never said they did, I said that these incidents are inexcusable. If they commit violent crimes, they should either be deported or jailed.

Never said they shouldn't be jailed for violent crimes, but I am trying to understand also those who do petty crime (stabbing incidents again are in the minority), like rioting. They seem to be doing it out of the confusion and disorientation that comes with traumatic stress disorder.

These refugees didn't do such crime in their 'dumps' (your words), back home. It doesn't seem like natural behaviour. Its also not their fault their countries are being destroyed by war...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Do you have a point to make?
Original post by MJlover
Never said they shouldn't be jailed for violent crimes, but I am trying to understand also those who do petty crime (stabbing incidents again are in the minority), like rioting. They seem to be doing it out of the confusion and disorientation that comes with traumatic stress disorder.

These refugees didn't do such crime in their 'dumps' (your words), back home. It doesn't seem like natural behaviour. Its also not their fault their countries are being destroyed by war...

You trying to tell me that all those with PTSD decide to get together and riot so they can be 'confused' and 'disorientated' in a big group?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover
I have read quite a bit on here about how refugees from the Arabic, Asian and African countries are getting in trouble with the law for really harsh crimes.

I try to take a step back and usually don't comment on those stories, as I sometimes feel its exaggerated by the press as because lets face it, some don't want refugees in Europe/their country. And the news and media will reflect that, as well as their own prejudice.

There was the riots in Germany (like Cologne), and stories of serious crime and sexual assault in camps.

(p.s. I have no sympathy for rapists and sexual abusers) however I feel like violent outbursts like riots and stabbings are the effects of coming from war-torn countries.

When you have PTSD, which I think I may have (not war but personal trauma), you react emotionally and in a panic-stricken way to situations which are reminiscent of your trauma, and situations in general. I understand the poor conditions of camps could make them feel claustrophobic, hopeless and full of dread.

Do you think this is a reaction to what they have seen in war and society's racism toward them?

Simply no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Moonstruck16
You trying to tell me that all those with PTSD decide to get together and riot so they can be 'confused' and 'disorientated' in a big group?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm saying its not a far-fetched idea that PTSD is prevalent among those from that come from war-torn states...
Original post by MJlover
No I'm saying its not a far-fetched idea that PTSD is prevalent among those from that come from war-torn states...

It can be..... So what? What's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by paul514
It can be..... So what? What's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes: my point was already made in the OP
Original post by MJlover
:rolleyes: my point was already made in the OP

Yea and they don't have ptsd causing this behaviour......

So what's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by paul514
Yea and they don't have ptsd causing this behaviour......

So what's your point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prove to me they don't, you can't disprove my point.

Between 50-57% of Syrian refugees experience PTSD
https://www.apa.org/international/pi/2015/09/noor-baker.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover

That's great. Those who are danger to society can't be helped at this moment in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending