The Student Room Group

Pain from wisdom tooth

I currently have both of my bottom wisdom teeth coming through.
My bottom left tooth is causing a bit of pain when i eat (and for a little while afterwards).
Its not the tooth itself but the gums around the tooth which hurts. Its also on top of the tooth too.
Has anyone else experienced this. If so what did you do?
My dentist said that there was space for the teeth to grow last time i was there.
Thanks
Probably obvious but bonjela might help a little or sometimes leaving a cube of ice to melt on there when it starts throbbing/after eating. I did this and took painkillers
Reply 2
Original post by FireFreezer77
My bottom left tooth is causing a bit of pain when i eat (and for a little while afterwards).
Its not the tooth itself but the gums around the tooth which hurts. Its also on top of the tooth too.
My dentist said that there was space for the teeth to grow last time i was there.
Thanks

Teeth can hurt when coming through. If it isn't too bad i'd take some painkillers and wait a while. If it gets bad phone your dentist so they can check it out and be sure they're growing out with no trouble. There is also a dental advice line you could try.
clove oil is what i use for tooth aches.
Original post by jawsontheflooor
Probably obvious but bonjela might help a little or sometimes leaving a cube of ice to melt on there when it starts throbbing/after eating. I did this and took painkillers

I havent heard of bonjela before, i look into it.
Ive just taken some painkillers and ill give the ice a go.
Thanks.
Original post by Kindred
Teeth can hurt when coming through. If it isn't too bad i'd take some painkillers and wait a while. If it gets bad phone your dentist so they can check it out and be sure they're growing out with no trouble. There is also a dental advice line you could try.

Ive taken some painkillers and the pain has now gone away (for now).
I think im due to see the dentist fairly soon so ill get them to have a look.
Thanks
Original post by the bear
clove oil is what i use for tooth aches.

Dont think weve got any of that but ill look.
Could be pericorinitis, go get it checked
Thanks

In coming wisdom teeth are painful.Painkillers will do!.Remember to keep that area clean: the surface of the incoming tooth, the gums & the neighbouring tooth/teeth to prevent an infection. The pain should go away after a few days!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by velvetsky
In coming wisdom teeth are painful.Painkillers will do!.Remember to keep that area clean: the surface of the incoming tooth, the gums & the neighbouring tooth/teeth to prevent an infection. The pain should go away after a few days!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Painkillers do work a treat.
I have noticed that over the last couple of days that pain has subsided a bit.
Reply 10
You can buy extra strength ora-gel over the counter at any decent pharmacy. It's specifically for tooth pain and will help numb the area.

Also the pain in best approached with a combination of painkillers. If it's particularly bad take codeine based products and alternate them with the painkiller that's not in the combination. For example, co-codamol can be taken alongside ibuprofen. Also, it's best to alternate and take a dose every 2 hours to keep on top of the pain (but still leaving the 4 hour gap between each drug dose).
Original post by l.g.b
You can buy extra strength ora-gel over the counter at any decent pharmacy. It's specifically for tooth pain and will help numb the area.

Also the pain in best approached with a combination of painkillers. If it's particularly bad take codeine based products and alternate them with the painkiller that's not in the combination. For example, co-codamol can be taken alongside ibuprofen. Also, it's best to alternate and take a dose every 2 hours to keep on top of the pain (but still leaving the 4 hour gap between each drug dose).

@l.g.b Do you study pharmacy? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by velvetsky
@l.g.b Do you study pharmacy? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work as a pharmacy dispenser :smile:
Thanks

All 4 of my wisdom teeth started to come through 6 months ago and I too experience a lot of discomfort with them.

i found when I ate certain foods, my teeth could catch on each other and I would end up with bleeding gums.

My dentist also said there was room for my teeth to grow into, but after I booked another appointment due to severe discomfort, he decided to remove the top 2.

If you are able to have some of them removed I would highly recommend it. I had mine removed on Tuesday, and I found the procedure to be very quick (20 mins) and pain free.

I only felt slight pain once the anaesthetic wore off on the tuesday night, but that was nothing in relation to the sheer relief of having them removed.

To answer your question, before having them removed, i used bonjela to help ease the pain throughout the day. Sometimes if it got worse i would take paracetamol, however I would try to avoid making this a regular habit as it is obviously not good to be taking pain medication on a regular basis.

Quick Reply

Latest