The Student Room Group

How many marks for an A*- A2 Sociology

AS unit 1: 58/80 - B
AS unit 2: 120/120- A
Total: 178/200

How many marks would I need (roughly) in A2 (unit 3 and 4) to secure an A*?
You would need 90% (average across A2 modules), presumably, as it is the A2 modules that govern the awarding of an A*.

I could easily check for certain if you tell me which exam board though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ByronicHero
You would need 90%, presumably, as it is the A2 modules that govern the awarding of an A*.

I could easily check for certain if you tell me which exam board though.

Thank you!

It is AQA
Original post by ellie0497
Thank you!

It is AQA

Okay I am sure I am correct. From AQA themselves: In A-level, grade A* is awarded to students achieving grade A overall and 90 per cent or more of the maximum uniform mark on the aggregate of the A2 units. For example, in a four unit qualification, grade A* is awarded to students achieving at least 320 uniform marks on the A-level overall and at least 180 uniform marks on the sum of the two A2 units.

So you would need to achieve 90% UMS. For reference, the raw mark cut offs last year were:

48/60
62/90

But these change each year depending on the difficulty of the papers :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
Okay I am sure I am correct. From AQA themselves: In A-level, grade A* is awarded to students achieving grade A overall and 90 per cent or more of the maximum uniform mark on the aggregate of the A2 units. For example, in a four unit qualification, grade A* is awarded to students achieving at least 320 uniform marks on the A-level overall and at least 180 uniform marks on the sum of the two A2 units.

So you would need to achieve 90% UMS. For reference, the raw mark cut offs last year were:

48/60
62/90

But these change each year depending on the difficulty of the papers :smile:

Thank you so much!:h:
Reply 5
Original post by ellie0497
AS unit 1: 58/80 - B
AS unit 2: 120/120- A
Total: 178/200

How many marks would I need (roughly) in A2 (unit 3 and 4) to secure an A*?

You need 180/200 UMS from the A2 papers. It doesn't matter how those 180 marks are split between the 2 papers. (The other requirement is that you achieve at least 320/400 overall. These rules are the same for all 4 unit A levels with AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR or WJEC).

Quick Reply

Latest