The Student Room Group

Engineering foundation year with no a level maths?

I'm currently doing my AS levels, (Geography, English Literature, Business and Sociology), although I aim to become a pilot.

In GCSE's, I did struggle with Maths and Physics quite a bit... I got a C in Maths, and I think a C in Physics, although one unit was a D.

I've now been looking at University courses, and i've found many different ones, including Loughborough and Coventry (Aviation Management) and also Hertfordshire (Aviation Technology with pilot studies) and New Bucks (Air Transport and pilot studies). Although i feel like these may be good options, and they do not require maths and physics, which is ideal for me, I partially think it would be best if i done a foundation degree perhaps, to get onto a engineering course.

I emailed Liverpool uni about an aerospace engineering degree, which requires maths and physics, and they said there is a foundation degree possible, where I learn Maths and Physics. I feel like this may be a good idea, as this course would be based on engineering and also pilot studies, and I would be able to work around the maths and physics problem, but will this course really be suitable for me. Would i even be able to do the foundation degree with a maths and physics GCSE of C? And if i could, would i really struggle with this degree, especially the foundation one where i learn maths and physics.

I'm not sure what path would be the best.. Is it better sticking with the degrees I've mentioned above, or is it worth maybe trying an engineering degree including a foundation year? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benj1999
I'm currently doing my AS levels, (Geography, English Literature, Business and Sociology), although I aim to become a pilot.

In GCSE's, I did struggle with Maths and Physics quite a bit... I got a C in Maths, and I think a C in Physics, although one unit was a D.

I've now been looking at University courses, and i've found many different ones, including Loughborough and Coventry (Aviation Management) and also Hertfordshire (Aviation Technology with pilot studies) and New Bucks (Air Transport and pilot studies). Although i feel like these may be good options, and they do not require maths and physics, which is ideal for me, I partially think it would be best if i done a foundation degree perhaps, to get onto a engineering course.

I emailed Liverpool uni about an aerospace engineering degree, which requires maths and physics, and they said there is a foundation degree possible, where I learn Maths and Physics. I feel like this may be a good idea, as this course would be based on engineering and also pilot studies, and I would be able to work around the maths and physics problem, but will this course really be suitable for me. Would i even be able to do the foundation degree with a maths and physics GCSE of C? And if i could, would i really struggle with this degree, especially the foundation one where i learn maths and physics.

I'm not sure what path would be the best.. Is it better sticking with the degrees I've mentioned above, or is it worth maybe trying an engineering degree including a foundation year? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember that GCSEs aren't a perfect reflection at all. Go for the foundation course if you want to be an engineer. You'll soon be able to tell if you'll cope or not. And even if you find it hard, just work harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Moonstruck16
Remember that GCSEs aren't a perfect reflection at all. Go for the foundation course if you want to be an engineer. You'll soon be able to tell if you'll cope or not. And even if you find it hard, just work harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats true i guess! I just worry that i'll begin to do the course and really struggle.. Because after all, i didn't choose AS maths and physics because i basically couldn't😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stick with the degrees you've mentioned above i think.
Reply 4
I think you're likely to struggle. The maths will be a step up from what you've done previously.

You don't need to do those courses to become a pilot, what's made you decide they're necessary?
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
I think you're likely to struggle. The maths will be a step up from what you've done previously.

You don't need to do those courses to become a pilot, what's made you decide they're necessary?

Yeah i feel like it may be too hard..
Oh yeah its not necessary, but I do want to go to university, and aviation is my passion so I would want to do an aviation course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah i feel like it may be too hard..
Oh yeah its not necessary, but I do want to go to university, and aviation is my passion so I would want to do an aviation course :smile:

I get that, but I know plenty of pilots - both civil and military - and among them almost none did one of these aviation courses and only a very small percentage did engineering.

If you're looking to get on a flight training programme once you've finished - like CTC Wings, Oxford Aviation, etc - then you're more likely to succeed if you've got a good (ie, high mark) degree than if you've struggled to a lower mark in something that won't really help you too much in the first place.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
I get that, but I know plenty of pilots - both civil and military - and among them almost none did one of these aviation courses and only a very small percentage did engineering.

If you're looking to get on a flight training programme once you've finished - like CTC Wings, Oxford Aviation, etc - then you're more likely to succeed if you've got a good (ie, high mark) degree than if you've struggled to a lower mark in something that won't really help you too much in the first place.

Yeah thats true actually. I see what you mean. The aviation management degree isn't maths based though, so do you think that would be a useful degree for me to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah thats true actually. I see what you mean. The aviation management degree isn't maths based though, so do you think that would be a useful degree for me to do?

Useful? Not really. I doubt it would help you much once you actually became a pilot.

But would it prove your interest in aviation and would your enthusiasm be likely to help you pass it with a higher mark? Probably.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Useful? Not really. I doubt it would help you much once you actually became a pilot.

But would it prove your interest in aviation and would your enthusiasm be likely to help you pass it with a higher mark? Probably.

What route would you take if you were me, once i finish my A2 levels? Would you go to uni? And if so, what course would you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You also have the option of resitting your Maths GCSE alongside your A levels to achieve a B grade. Most universities will require at least a B grade in GCSE Maths or even possibly A level Maths. Re sitting your Maths alongside 3 A levels seems your best possibly and then decide whether to follow the foundation course.
What route would you take if you were me, once i finish my A2 levels? Would you go to uni? And if so, what course would you do?

I'd have half a mind on a plan b. What would you like to do if you can't get on a pilot course?

Having a degree will be better than not having one.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
I'd have half a mind on a plan b. What would you like to do if you can't get on a pilot course?

Having a degree will be better than not having one.

Well i've seen Aviation Management degrees at Loughborough/Coventry/Huddersfield, and Air Transport w/pilot studies at Bucks/ Aviation Tech w/pilot studies at Hertfordshire.. So its between them courses really. But I really like Loughborough uni so I may do the Aviation Management degree. If i cannot become a pilot, my back up plan would be Air Traffic Control, or Airport management

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
If you're really set on doing engineering the best thing to do is to get onto an engineering course with a foundation year to get you up to speed with the required maths and physics. Engineering is obviously very heavily maths based so you need to have the aptitude for it otherwise you'll struggle. Foundation years can be quite intense if you haven't done maths or physics at that level before (which is what my situation was) - it can be challenging to learn all of it in a short space of time.

I would say go for it but the only thing that is slightly concerning is your GCSEs in maths and physics - do you think you could've done better or was it a massive struggle for you? Because I can't imagine anyone finding GCSE maths that difficult would find doing engineering any better.

If you'd want more detail of what a foundation year is like, PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry no offense but engineering with physics AND maths? no way bro sorry i don't think they'd ever take you :/
Reply 15
Original post by thefatone
sorry no offense but engineering with physics AND maths? no way bro sorry i don't think they'd ever take you :/

Well yes, but its a foundation degree, for people who haven't done maths and physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes, but its a foundation degree, for people who haven't done maths and physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh? never heard of this before? can't help you much :/ sorry
Perhaps without phys but definitely without maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

but even so your gcse's are pretty mediocre, especially in maths.
Reply 19
Original post by GeologyMaths
right babe?

?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest