The Student Room Group

Ethical Hacking & Computer Science Selection Advice

I have recently finished my UCAS application, the only part I'm struggling with is my final two course selections. I would like to study Ethical Hacking/Pen testing, however as it's a fairly new course there are only 3 universities that offer a specific course (that I'm aware of); Abertay, Coventry & Glasgow Caldeonian.

Assuming there are no other Ethical Hacking courses available to apply for, I want to pick two Computer Science/Computing courses, however due to the amount of universities offering this degree combined with my lack of A levels, I don't know which one is best to chose for my situation.

Below I've listed my grades that I've added to my UCAS application to give an understanding of what kind of universities I could be looking at, I tried to translate these into UCAS points (the level 3 diplomas) but I couldn't find the information anywhere.

I would greatly appreciate the communitys help and expertise on this subject and thank you in advance :smile:

8eb805a97c01ca282450d615d1064578.png
Original post by Envz
I have recently finished my UCAS application, the only part I'm struggling with is my final two course selections. I would like to study Ethical Hacking/Pen testing, however as it's a fairly new course there are only 3 universities that offer a specific course (that I'm aware of); Abertay, Coventry & Glasgow Caldeonian.

Assuming there are no other Ethical Hacking courses available to apply for, I want to pick two Computer Science/Computing courses, however due to the amount of universities offering this degree combined with my lack of A levels, I don't know which one is best to chose for my situation.

Below I've listed my grades that I've added to my UCAS application to give an understanding of what kind of universities I could be looking at, I tried to translate these into UCAS points (the level 3 diplomas) but I couldn't find the information anywhere.

I would greatly appreciate the communitys help and expertise on this subject and thank you in advance :smile:

8eb805a97c01ca282450d615d1064578.png

I presume you haven't resat the D in maths as you have the key skills level 2? That in itself could prove problematic in getting a place on a course as not many unis accept equivalences. I m really struggling to figure out if your level 3 quals attract a ucas tariff at it appears they arent offered as qualifications anywhere anymore, so i think you're in the situation where you need to ask how the universities all feel about them. Finally, for some universities it wont matter at all but some might want more recent study as its 5 years since you've been in education. I feel like i've really been the barer of bad news here but hope this is still helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I presume you haven't resat the D in maths as you have the key skills level 2? That in itself could prove problematic in getting a place on a course as not many unis accept equivalences. I m really struggling to figure out if your level 3 quals attract a ucas tariff at it appears they arent offered as qualifications anywhere anymore, so i think you're in the situation where you need to ask how the universities all feel about them. Finally, for some universities it wont matter at all but some might want more recent study as its 5 years since you've been in education. I feel like i've really been the barer of bad news here but hope this is still helpful.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate your honesty whether it's good or bad news :smile: Yeah I haven't resat the maths due to key skills (and not needing it due to working). Ultimately I'm hoping that my cover letter will help sell myself, I spent a lot of time on it and I'm confident that it will heavily increase my chances.In regards to the level 3 diploma's, I acquired them during an IT apprenticeship after leaving school. We were told that they were equivalent to A level's and would be enough to get us into university if we decided on that path. It would be incredibly disappointing to be declined entry to a university, especially when I know that I'm capable it's just down to a lack of attention at school :frown:
Original post by Envz
Thank you for the response, I appreciate your honesty whether it's good or bad news :smile: Yeah I haven't resat the maths due to key skills (and not needing it due to working). Ultimately I'm hoping that my cover letter will help sell myself, I spent a lot of time on it and I'm confident that it will heavily increase my chances.In regards to the level 3 diploma's, I acquired them during an IT apprenticeship after leaving school. We were told that they were equivalent to A level's and would be enough to get us into university if we decided on that path. It would be incredibly disappointing to be declined entry to a university, especially when I know that I'm capable it's just down to a lack of attention at school :frown:

Universities are very particular when it comes to gcse requirements so even an amazing personal statement probably wont change their mind on that. I think your best bet is to contact the universities, tell them what your qualifications are and see what they say. If you don't get in this year then all hope isn't lost, you should be eligible to do an access course at college and then you could resit your maths simultaneously and get into university in 2017.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Universities are very particular when it comes to gcse requirements so even an amazing personal statement probably wont change their mind on that. I think your best bet is to contact the universities, tell them what your qualifications are and see what they say. If you don't get in this year then all hope isn't lost, you should be eligible to do an access course at college and then you could resit your maths simultaneously and get into university in 2017.

Ok thanks Claire, I'll give that a try. In regards to the email that I will send them what kind of information should I include; Should I be trying to sell myself within the email, or is it purely to ask the question of whether my grades are suitable for their course or not?
Original post by Envz
Ok thanks Claire, I'll give that a try. In regards to the email that I will send them what kind of information should I include; Should I be trying to sell myself within the email, or is it purely to ask the question of whether my grades are suitable for their course or not?

Purely asking the question :smile: Tell them your GCSEs, key skills and level 3 qualifications :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending