The Student Room Group

WJEC Info and communication technology (A Level)

How are people revising for the exam?
I'm having to re take the AS exam... ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K3001N
How are people revising for the exam?
I'm having to re take the AS exam... ??

The way I revised for A Level ICT was by using past paper questions and mark schemes. I got hold of all the past papers I could find and copied out all of the questions in Word documents, dividing them by topic. I then used the mark schemes to write model answers for each question, which I then memorised. My ICT teacher recommended using this technique to revise, and I found that it did work quite well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
The way I revised for A Level ICT was by using past paper questions and mark schemes. I got hold of all the past papers I could find and copied out all of the questions in Word documents, dividing them by topic. I then used the mark schemes to write model answers for each question, which I then memorised. My ICT teacher recommended using this technique to revise, and I found that it did work quite well :smile:

Its the best way to revise for the exam, I copied the questions and answers into a word document and have been trying to memorise the content; its such stupid exam
Original post by K3001N
Its the best way to revise for the exam, I copied the questions and answers into a word document and have been trying to memorise the content; its such stupid exam

I agree, it's more about memorising the content rather than actually understanding and applying it
Reply 4
I agree, it's more about memorising the content rather than actually understanding and applying it

Exactly! Are you at a2 level?

Its a silly subject; should have done another exam board!
Original post by K3001N
Exactly! Are you at a2 level?

Its a silly subject; should have done another exam board!

I've actually already done A Level ICT, I'm on a gap year at the moment :smile:
Reply 6
I've actually already done A Level ICT, I'm on a gap year at the moment :smile:

Oh great! how did you do?
Original post by K3001N
Oh great! how did you do?

I did reasonably well, I got a B for ICT overall (3 marks off an A though!). I was a bit gutted about not getting an A like I was predicted, but it turned out that no one in my year got higher than a B for ICT (there were some questions in the exam which we hadn't seen before). So I'm not too disappointed :tongue:
Reply 8
I did reasonably well, I got a B for ICT overall (3 marks off an A though!). I was a bit gutted about not getting an A like I was predicted, but it turned out that no one in my year got higher than a B for ICT (there were some questions in the exam which we hadn't seen before). So I'm not too disappointed :tongue:

So I'm guessing you took the exam last year? I've seen the paper nothing on videoconferencing had come up before?
Original post by K3001N
So I'm guessing you took the exam last year? I've seen the paper nothing on videoconferencing had come up before?

Yeah. I didn't even know that video conferencing was something we had to learn honestly! Also there was a 10 mark question I think on operational procedures, and there had only ever been 8 markers on operational procedures before that. It didn't help that operational procedures was the last topic we did in class, so we had to rush over it
Reply 10
Yeah. I didn't even know that video conferencing was something we had to learn honestly! Also there was a 10 mark question I think on operational procedures, and there had only ever been 8 markers on operational procedures before that. It didn't help that operational procedures was the last topic we did in class, so we had to rush over it

Oh dear, did your teacher teach you the course content?
I've been left to teach it to myself??
Original post by K3001N
Oh dear, did your teacher teach you the course content?
I've been left to teach it to myself??

Yeah, they went over all the topics (or at least, what we thought were all of them). I didn't really like the style of teaching they used though (looking at power point print outs and filling in missing words), so I had to teach myself a bit too. Have you got a list of all the topics you need to learn? :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah, they went over all the topics (or at least, what we thought were all of them). I didn't really like the style of teaching they used though (looking at power point print outs and filling in missing words), so I had to teach myself a bit too. Have you got a list of all the topics you need to learn? :smile:

I've copied every single question I could find from past papers and pasted them into a word document with the answers from the mark scheme; been learning off that, there have been many repeats. Is there a topic list?
Original post by K3001N
I've copied every single question I could find from past papers and pasted them into a word document with the answers from the mark scheme; been learning off that, there have been many repeats. Is there a topic list?

I made a topic list when I was revising, if you'd like that? :smile:
Reply 14
I made a topic list when I was revising, if you'd like that? :smile:

yes please!!
Original post by K3001N
yes please!!

I've attached the topic list for the A2 topics :smile:
Reply 16
I've attached the topic list for the A2 topics :smile:

thank you so much!
Original post by K3001N
thank you so much!

You're welcome, best of luck :h:
Reply 18
You're welcome, best of luck :h:

you too!!! it should be an okay exam! well at least I hope so lol!
Original post by K3001N
you too!!! it should be an okay exam! well at least I hope so lol!

Thanks! Yeah, it should be fine, as long as you don't get any nasty surprises like I did with the videoconferencing question :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending