The Student Room Group

Does university matter for engineering as long as it's accredited?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngman2012
Why are Chemical Engineers paid so well? Oil industry?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't all us of Engineers have equal chances of entering Oil though? Or do they have some sort of advantage? Surely our starting salaries should be similar.
Don't all us of Engineers have equal chances of entering Oil though? Or do they have some sort of advantage? Surely our starting salaries should be similar.

You have to think about it a bit more. Chem Engineers tend to skew higher because more of them than average go into O&G. If you applied for an electrical engineering, structural engineering or a 'what have you' engineering job in an oil and gas company you'd receive similar compensation as a chemical engineer going into say, process engineering.

Salaries fluctuate depending on which company, role, location and industry one chooses to go into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You have to think about it a bit more. Chem Engineers tend to skew higher because more of them than average go into O&G. If you applied for an electrical engineering, structural engineering or a 'what have you' engineering job in an oil and gas company you'd receive similar compensation as a chemical engineer going into say, process engineering.

Salaries fluctuate depending on which company, role, location and industry one chooses to go into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, so as a Mech Eng I will be paid just as well in oil. I still wonder how more of them end up in that industry the lucky guys.
Thanks, so as a Mech Eng I will be paid just as well in oil. I still wonder how more of them end up in that industry the lucky guys.

Because, more of them apply and are interested in O&G. As a mech eng you have the automotive industry, the manufacturing industry, consumer products etc to choose from - although not paying as much, can be a bit more fulfilling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because, more of them apply and are interested in O&G. As a mech eng you have the automotive industry, the manufacturing industry, consumer products etc to choose from - although not paying as much, can be a bit more fulfilling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely, they have consumer products,manufacturing,pharma,food/drink,water,nuclear and energy?
Surely, they have consumer products,manufacturing,pharma,food/drink,water,nuclear and energy?

Yeah, they do. But, even then, chem engineers gravitate rewards oil and gas/bigpharma on average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanical engineering is also equally useful for oil industry. These two degrees are relevant for different areas within the industry. (I asked my bro who is a consultant completions engineer MEng) Salary suggested is quite modest ie £30K. Would depend on employer. I think my bro started on £48K basic and that was quite a few years ago now.
He has just pointed out to me that the current situ may have impacted negatively on starting salaries but rarely will two people start on the same pay. Throughout his career he knows for certain that his colleagues have all been on different salaries even if qualifications and experiences are similar. He once got 'burned' when he discovered a girl was paid more than him. Lol!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Very very very rarely.

They want to employ good people, not "good" universities.

ARM take 75% of their graduate intake from So'ton along because they know that the quality of the graduates they produce is above the rest.

Granted, I should have rephrased, it's more that major employers know which unis produce graduates with the best knowledge and skills.
Reply 29
Original post by Alexion
ARM take 75% of their graduate intake from So'ton along because they know that the quality of the graduates they produce is above the rest.

Interesting. But it may also be because they have invested in a significant joint venture with the university. Perfectly justifiable for them to try to get a reasonable return on that investment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Interesting. But it may also be because they have invested in a significant joint venture with the university. Perfectly justifiable for them to try to get a reasonable return on that investment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can i pm you need to talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be careful with what you say since most of it is incorrect and gibberish
Original post by GeologyMaths
Be careful with what you say since most of it is incorrect and gibberish

Would be nice if you pointed out where I'm speaking gibberish rather than respond with what I classify as 'gibberish'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would be nice if you pointed out where I'm speaking gibberish rather than respond with what I classify as 'gibberish'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The whole rationale behind your O&G knowledge
Original post by GeologyMaths
The whole rationale behind your O&G knowledge

What you mean my process engineer dad that worked in it for all of his career, my friends' parents that are still currently in the industry and my friends that are following the same path as their O&G parents? Seems legit.

Still waiting for you to be constructive, but I guess this wait will be a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by applicant3345
What tips do you have on getting a first class degree and securing an internship during your studies?

Getting and internship - Network. Use LinkedIn, go to lectures organised by professional societies, talk to people at those lectures, get involvee with the local graduates and students committee of your course's accrediting body (BCS, ICE, IMechE, IET, whatever).

If you are studying at a top 20 university, applying for internships online might work, but if not, making yourself known gives you much higher chances. This comes from personal experience.

Getting a first class degree - More studying, and more time dedicated to relaxing, less time drinking and partying. If you are a very smart person who physiologically can have energy on not so much sleep, can handle lots of alcohol or are able to memorise a lot of stuff in a short period of time before exams and take advantage of group work with hard working people, then by all means, do whatever you want. (I will probably get some hate for this)

Having a first doesn't mean you are smart though. It means you know how and when to study. Ask me questions from the modules that I didn't enjoy during my bachelor's and I don't know how to answer them, even if I finished with a first. Again, this comes from personal experience.
Original post by Greu
Getting and internship - Network. Use LinkedIn, go to lectures organised by professional societies, talk to people at those lectures, get involvee with the local graduates and students committee of your course's accrediting body (BCS, ICE, IMechE, IET, whatever).

If you are studying at a top 20 university, applying for internships online might work, but if not, making yourself known gives you much higher chances. This comes from personal experience.

just on the internship point, if you are not applying online how am are we supposed to be applying ? Do you mean finding local companies and emailing them CV's ?
Original post by Greu

Getting a first class degree - More studying, and more time dedicated to relaxing, less time drinking and partying. If you are a very smart person who physiologically can have energy on not so much sleep, can handle lots of alcohol or are able to memorise a lot of stuff in a short period of time before exams and take advantage of group work with hard working people, then by all means, do whatever you want. (I will probably get some hate for this)

Having a first doesn't mean you are smart though. It means you know how and when to study. Ask me questions from the modules that I didn't enjoy during my bachelor's and I don't know how to answer them, even if I finished with a first. Again, this comes from personal experience.

What do you mean by studying a top 20 university, applying fo internships online might work? There are equal chances once you get to the online test??
Reply 38
What you mean my process engineer dad that worked in it for all of his career, my friends' parents that are still currently in the industry and my friends that are following the same path as their O&G parents? Seems legit.

Still waiting for you to be constructive, but I guess this wait will be a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Norway - one of the biggest oil nations around - are also laying off hundreds and hundreds of people within O&G every year now. In my opinion, you would be extremely short-sighted to purposely want to enter the O&G industry now.

With regards to what university you go to; it matters to the extent that more companies might be going to your university or purposely putting up job ads on their career services website. Every little helps and all that. It's not the be-all-end-all if you don't go to Cambridge. At the end of the day, engineering firms want to employ good people with good work ethics, who can come up with good engineering solutions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ahpadt
Norway - one of the biggest oil nations around - are also laying off hundreds and hundreds of people within O&G every year now. In my opinion, you would be extremely short-sighted to purposely want to enter the O&G industry now.

True. But my friends in the downstream industry in Texas had no issues getting jobs at BP/Chevron upon graduating etc. Although, yes, with current oil prices it might be a bit of a hard sell to go into the industry. Especially as here in Aberdeen jobs are being cut right, left and centre.

We'll have to see how it plays out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending