The Student Room Group

Maths or Science degree?

For my A levels I'm picking Maths, Biology and Chemistry. The fourth one I'm still picking. However, I would like to know whether I should do a Maths degree or a Science degree? any opinions?

Scroll to see replies

That's entirely up to you, which do you prefer/think you'd do better in? :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
That's entirely up to you, which do you prefer/think you'd do better in? :smile:

i love them equally!!
Do you have an idea in mind for a specific science degree? 'Science' is extremely broad and you may need physics.
If you want to do a maths degree, further maths is advisable.
Reply 4
Do Maths it's a fantastic degree to have.
Original post by surina16
Do you have an idea in mind for a specific science degree? 'Science' is extremely broad and you may need physics.
If you want to do a maths degree, further maths is advisable.

I don't want to do medicine but, something maybe in chemistry or biology!
Original post by sabana
Do Maths it's a fantastic degree to have.

im scared that i might not like it in uni or ill change my mind about it.
Original post by mariyahhussain
i love them equally!!

In that case, have you considered a Natural Sciences degree?
I don't want to do medicine but, something maybe in chemistry or biology!

If you want to go down the biochemistry sort of route, those A levels are fine and so the last one can be whatever you want. You don't even have to do 4.
Original post by Leviathan1741
In that case, have you considered a Natural Sciences degree?

ive heard of it, but i need to do my research but i want something more specific.
Reply 10
im scared that i might not like it in uni or ill change my mind about it.

Ohhh, since you suggested chemistry and Biology how about pharmacy? In the end noone can make the decision for you you'll have to pick what you'll enjoy the most and what will get you a career you want.
Original post by surina16
If you want to go down the biochemistry sort of route, those A levels are fine and so the last one can be whatever you want. You don't even have to do 4.

yeah i was thinking along those lines, but i really love maths and don't want to leave that behind (lol)
Original post by sabana
Ohhh, since you suggested chemistry and Biology how about pharmacy? In the end noone can make the decision for you you'll have to pick what you'll enjoy the most and what will get you a career you want.

i dont mind pharmacy! and yeah i know just came on here for a few suggestions thats all.
yeah i was thinking along those lines, but i really love maths and don't want to leave that behind (lol)

In that case, you could do something like Chemical Engineering - where physics may also be useful.
as someone who is a pharmacist and who has friends/ relatives who work in ChemEng: think carefully about both. pharmacy is predominantly patient-oriented but you are chronically understaffed & have limited scope to apply your clinical knowledge in community; pay in hospital is crap unless your band 8b onwards (that being said, hospital pre-reg ie band 5 wages are higher than f1 pay for doctors); industrial you will face competition from people who have other degrees / phds (chances are if you just have MPharm, youll end up doing quality assurance :|). Chem eng is only really an option if you have tonnes of experience and can get a guaranteed job (otherwise youll be unemployed or have to move abroad (if your after the latter, then go for ChemEng)).

In the case of pharmacy, if your interested in healthcare, it does provide a good stepping stone to other outlets (and surprisingly, non-healthcare related subjects such as aerodynamics or programming)
Original post by quasa
as someone who is a pharmacist and who has friends/ relatives who work in ChemEng: think carefully about both. pharmacy is predominantly patient-oriented but you are chronically understaffed & have limited scope to apply your clinical knowledge in community; pay in hospital is crap unless your band 8b onwards (that being said, hospital pre-reg ie band 5 wages are higher than f1 pay for doctors); industrial you will face competition from people who have other degrees / phds (chances are if you just have MPharm, youll end up doing quality assurance :|). Chem eng is only really an option if you have tonnes of experience and can get a guaranteed job (otherwise youll be unemployed or have to move abroad (if your after the latter, then go for ChemEng)).

In the case of pharmacy, if your interested in healthcare, it does provide a good stepping stone to other outlets (and surprisingly, non-healthcare related subjects such as aerodynamics or programming)

This has changed my mind, I don't think I could be a pharmacist lol!!
Reply 16
Maybe just wait for a bit and see if you doing A levels will help you decide.
Reply 17
For my A levels I'm picking Maths, Biology and Chemistry. The fourth one I'm still picking. However, I would like to know whether I should do a Maths degree or a Science degree? any opinions?

Go on open days, attend Summer School for specific science course and such to see which one you want to do. I was in the exact same position (really wanted to do Physics, Comp Sci, Biology, Politics and lots of other courses), but decided with Maths simply because I get the opportunity to do all of them along with my degree (this depends on the uni: some unis have more flexibility e.g. Baths, so allows you to do a bit of everything). Plus, I kind of prefer Maths a bit more :colondollar:
Yes. Summer schools, public lectures, maybe even a nuffield placement, anything to help you get some insight.

Maths is a lot different at uni than at GCSE or A-level, and you study stuff that is either very enjoyable or absolutely awful and you can't stand it (Algebra/analysis). I guess for some people there is an inbetween, but uni maths.. I don't know, I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. But it's a great degree to have, apparently. Can get you into a lot of things, provided everything else is up to scratch too.
Original post by SeanFM
Yes. Summer schools, public lectures, maybe even a nuffield placement, anything to help you get some insight.

Maths is a lot different at uni than at GCSE or A-level, and you study stuff that is either very enjoyable or absolutely awful and you can't stand it (Algebra/analysis). I guess for some people there is an inbetween, but uni maths.. I don't know, I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. But it's a great degree to have, apparently. Can get you into a lot of things, provided everything else is up to scratch too.

Yeah the thing is I enjoy maths a lot and don't mind doing it at all however, I feel like only the best at maths can do it and I don't think I am the best so that's what's holding me back I guess

Quick Reply

Latest