The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Congrats to all offer holders. For those of you that didn't receive offers, remember to enquire about secondary/late applications the day your GCSEs are given to you; that's how a few people in my year gained admission. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys come September!
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Congrats to all offer holders. For those of you that didn't receive offers, remember to enquire about secondary/late applications the day your GCSEs are given to you; that's how a few people in my year gained admission. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys come September!

those who got the offer, was it based on first come first serve or was it the highest grades? thank u!
Also, for people curious about the dress-code:

- Jeans aren't really allowed. You could get away with dark chinos, but I wouldn't really risk it since they'll likely send you home if you're caught.

- Dudes: you must always be wearing a tie and shirt; the teachers will constantly badger you if you don't have a tie on your neck, even as you enter the school. You can wear either a suit blazer, or a jumper of any kind (I'd stick to conservative colours, however). If you really don't want to wear a tie, you could wear a tight crew-neck jumper which covers the areas in which the tie would otherwise be visible. Again, risk/reward -- it's up to you. As for shoes, you're only allowed dress shoes. Trainers are frowned upon :rolleyes:

- Girls: I'm not really sure what the girls wear tbh. Dresses are worn. So are jumpers and blazers. Dress like a receptionist if in doubt..
Original post by shanaferdous
those who got the offer, was it based on first come first serve or was it the highest grades? thank u!

Highest grades
x

Do you get study leave?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Do you get study leave?

Nope. At least, not the year 12s. I think the year 13s will get study leave closer to May, but I'm not 100%
Original post by shado.
Hi, our acceptance letters mentioned that 450 offers were made instead of 285. Just wondering if the increased intake of students would affect the quality of teaching.
Also, do you personally think the school can actually accomodate 450 year 12s (along with the year 13s) ?
Thank you! :smile:

Good question. This is an issue which has been heavily-debated in the school, and conservations regarding the sustainability of having so many students regularly take place during our form time (where we can put forward any concerns); it's something which still hasn't been answered or confirmed to be resolved in any way despite the continuous badgering.

The truth is, the school is already quite cosy in its current state -- 5-10+ minute lunch lines, clustered entrances at lunch time and sizeable classrooms (18+ students in my Microeconomics classroom, for example). To have >150 more students in the school seems absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, and I have no idea how the school's going to deal with it. We've heard a bit of talk regarding furbishing the school's basement to create a social study area, but it's too little in my opinion.

I'm sure something has been planned to accommodate the extra students, but whatever it is hasn't been shared with students nor the teachers. The lack of transparency is kinda annoying IMO, and it's definitely something everyone should consider when choosing their schools. That being said, as soon as the current students have been formally notified about the school's plan, I'll definitely make a post detailing it. Let me just say that if you like your schools open and expansive, you'll be in for a surprise come September.
Good question. This is an issue which has been heavily-debated in the school, and conservations regarding the sustainability of having so many students regularly take place during our form time (where we can put forward any concerns); it's something which still hasn't been answered or confirmed to be resolved in any way despite the continuous badgering.

The truth is, the school is already quite cosy in its current state -- 5-10+ minute lunch lines, clustered entrances at lunch time and sizeable classrooms (18+ students in my Microeconomics classroom, for example). To have >150 more students in the school seems absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, and I have no idea how the school's going to deal with it. We've heard a bit of talk regarding furbishing the school's basement to create a social study area, but it's too little in my opinion.

I'm sure something has been planned to accommodate the extra students, but whatever it is hasn't been shared with students nor the teachers. The lack of transparency is kinda annoying IMO, and it's definitely something everyone should consider when choosing their schools. That being said, as soon as the current students have been formally notified about the school's plan, I'll definitely make a post detailing it. Let me just say that if you like your schools open and expansive, you'll be in for a surprise come September.

Also, this may seem like a stupid question but I heard from someone that the school helps with transport costs. Is this true? If so, how do you know if you're eligible for this help? Thank you :smile:
Original post by I'm_infires
Also, this may seem like a stupid question but I heard from someone that the school helps with transport costs. Is this true? If so, how do you know if you're eligible for this help? Thank you :smile:

There's a travel bursary in place. If you are eligible for free school meals, they'll pay the weekly travel card cost to go from your zone to the school (Zone X-1)
There's a travel bursary in place. If you are eligible for free school meals, they'll pay the weekly travel card cost to go from your zone to the school (Zone X-1)

Thank you for the fast reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking forward to that post. Thank you. :smile:

They're giving out more offers than there are places, so there won't be 450 year 12s
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
They're giving out more offers than there are places, so there won't be 450 year 12s

I thought it said if you got an offer you have a place, so theoretically if everybody got good enough grades and wanted to attend wouldn't there be 450 students in year 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Couscousisnice
I thought it said if you got an offer you have a place, so theoretically if everybody got good enough grades and wanted to attend wouldn't there be 450 students in year 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The letter said that if it DOES get oversubscribed, they're going to accept people based on priority. 1st priority is people who have been looked after (social services and stuff like that), 2nd priority are people who have been free school meals in the last six years and then lastly are the kids who have been none of the above and just live in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. The letter said that if it DOES get oversubscribed, they're going to accept people based on priority. 1st priority is people who have been looked after (social services and stuff like that), 2nd priority are people who have been free school meals in the last six years and then lastly are the kids who have been none of the above and just live in London.

I don't actually think that's how it works, I think that's how they decided who received offers primarily hence the reason that nobody from group 4 received a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why dont you just ask mr handscombe on twitter? Pretty sure he shoukd know

Posted from TSR Mobile
doesn't it say it was able to cut down on applications from 566 candidates to 450 by using the over-subscription criteria and it's only conditional if you obtain 6Bs
Original post by wobuaini
Why dont you just ask mr handscombe on twitter? Pretty sure he shoukd know

I'm pretty sure he's been asked this question and he said something along the lines of everyone has received an offer and it's conditional on their results so I'm guessing not everyone will get the 6Bs but I'm more than certain they cannot reduce offers to such a great amount, just from not obtaining 6Bs, if it was As/A*, understandably yes.
Original post by Couscousisnice

Yes, theoretically, but statistically that's unlikely. The school's looked at the past two years of the offer:acceptance ratio, and has worked out that giving 450 offers will give them the best chance of getting 285 acceptances. It's probably not going to be exactly 285, but I'm sure they've thought it through and provided enough leeway to ensure the numbers won't be problematic next year.
Original post by Thedaniellamary
I'm pretty sure he's been asked this question and he said something along the lines of everyone has received an offer and it's conditional on their results so I'm guessing not everyone will get the 6Bs but I'm more than certain they cannot reduce offers to such a great amount, just from not obtaining 6Bs, if it was As/A*, understandably yes.

It's not just the grades that will be playing part. Most people have more than one Sixth Form offer, and some people, having received an offer from HWSF, will decide (incorrectly :tongue:) that they'd rather go to another school.

Ultimately, the school's playing the statistics game; there's nothing else they can do, really. It'd be a shame if they gave out 285 offers and only 200 people showed up, leaving 85 students who could have gone without places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending