The Student Room Group

Best friend has changed completely after his breakup.

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=Anonymous;63614723]Pride and maybe because he can be weak willed at times.
I asked him why he changed and he said that he loved the new him and how it was so much better. My best friend is unrecognisable.

Yeah he is.. He had this air of arrogance when he made that thread about her.. She's too nice and too pretty for him imo.

He was absolutely horrible about his ex. He didn't show any remorse or anything.

When he says 'i love the new me'... That's when you know haha. You know he is ruined inside. He has regrets.

Misplaced arrogance. When he said 'i'm better looking than her' hahahaha. Mate, you seen yourself?
Original post by Unistudent77
When he says 'i love the new me'... That's when you know haha. You know he is ruined inside. He has regrets.

Misplaced arrogance. When he said 'i'm better looking than her' hahahaha. Mate, you seen yourself?

That's what I thought when my best friend said that.. But idk for sure.

For him, it's most likely true that he's regretting it. She's pretty and she's got a great personality. Guys are going to be lining up when she goes to uni.
Sounds a bit like me at that age tbh. I'd been messed around by girls, not cheated on or anything but I'd had my heart stomped on one too many times and one day I'd just had enough. I went through a bit of a misogynistic stage, I started sleeping around every weekend, I got it into my head that girls loved me and I didn't give a **** about them so I was superior and this made me act quite arrogant. A lot of young lads go through this stage after getting their heart broken.

I'm a little older and wiser now and more grounded, he just needs some time. Could be a few years, is the thing, but he'll settle eventually. If you can't handle him like it, steer clear.
Original post by Anonymous

For him, it's most likely true that he's regretting it. She's pretty and she's got a great personality. Guys are going to be lining up when she goes to uni.

Why not just leave him to get on with it? Whats your angle? He's a grown up, he's at uni, just let him get it out of his system.
This is a really familiar story to me. I've had friends act like this. He's hurt, he's trying to get over it.

In a relationship one of the reason why he might have been confident was because of her. A lot of the time, the girl you're with will push you to be the best you can and is always the one person to believe in you. I'm not sure how they broke up but I'm guessing losing that bond has caused him to rebound and overexxagerate in uni. By hooking up with loads of different girls he feels as this shows his 'game' and he's artificially building confidence that way. But one thing I've learnt is that if he's still talking about her randomly or is checking her social media, he's not over her. He's bitter, hopefully he grows his big boy pants.

The way I sounded there sounded like some David Attenborough commentary on some indigenous species 😂😂 but yeah, I echo a lot of what people have said before me
Original post by WoodyMKC
Sounds a bit like me at that age tbh. I'd been messed around by girls, not cheated on or anything but I'd had my heart stomped on one too many times and one day I'd just had enough. I went through a bit of a misogynistic stage, I started sleeping around every weekend, I got it into my head that girls loved me and I didn't give a **** about them so I was superior and this made me act quite arrogant. A lot of young lads go through this stage after getting their heart broken.

I'm a little older and wiser now and more grounded, he just needs some time. Could be a few years, is the thing, but he'll settle eventually. If you can't handle him like it, steer clear.

Why do guys normally go through this stage?

Original post by ChillGod
This is a really familiar story to me. I've had friends act like this. He's hurt, he's trying to get over it.

In a relationship one of the reason why he might have been confident was because of her. A lot of the time, the girl you're with will push you to be the best you can and is always the one person to believe in you. I'm not sure how they broke up but I'm guessing losing that bond has caused him to rebound and overexxagerate in uni. By hooking up with loads of different girls he feels as this shows his 'game' and he's artificially building confidence that way. But one thing I've learnt is that if he's still talking about her randomly or is checking her social media, he's not over her. He's bitter, hopefully he grows his big boy pants.

The way I sounded there sounded like some David Attenborough commentary on some indigenous species 😂😂 but yeah, I echo a lot of what people have said before me

I think he still loves her but doesn't want to admit it.

I think he still loves her but doesn't want to admit it.

Why does it matter? They arent together, why do you seem unhappy to let him get on with making his own mistakes and getting it out of his system? Some things you have to learn for yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think deep down he is hurting over the break up and is trying to make himself feel better by drinking and sleeping with other girls. That's not working so he is getting all aggressive and angry and trying to tell himself he's better off without her anyway. Basically, he's trying to make himself feel better and it's clearly not working.

From what I have heard, guys do tend to be more like this after a break up whereas girls tend to mope around for a few days/weeks/a couple of months and then move on. For guys, the hurt seems to kick in a while later if they genuinely cared about the girl. That's just my experience anyway, obviously everyone is different.

Just let him get on with it, that's all you can do. I'm sure he'll sort himself out eventually.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just let him bitch to you maybe but don't join in - some people just need to vent their frustration.
Original post by 999tigger
Why does it matter? They arent together, why do you seem unhappy to let him get on with making his own mistakes and getting it out of his system? Some things you have to learn for yourself.

I don't like seeing him like that.
Why do guys normally go through this stage?.

Not all guys go through it of course, but for the ones that do it's probably the same as those girls that go through their "All mean are cheating, lying scumbags!" phase - it's just a part of their growing up.
Not all guys go through it of course, but for the ones that do it's probably the same as those girls that go through their "All mean are cheating, lying scumbags!" phase - it's just a part of their growing up.

Should I just let him be then? I think he still has feelings for her.
Original post by Sazzy890
I think deep down he is hurting over the break up and is trying to make himself feel better by drinking and sleeping with other girls. That's not working so he is getting all aggressive and angry and trying to tell himself he's better off without her anyway. Basically, he's trying to make himself feel better and it's clearly not working.

From what I have heard, guys do tend to be more like this after a break up whereas girls tend to mope around for a few days/weeks/a couple of months and then move on. For guys, the hurt seems to kick in a while later if they genuinely cared about the girl. That's just my experience anyway, obviously everyone is different.

Just let him get on with it, that's all you can do. I'm sure he'll sort himself out eventually.

It's been 7 months so I thought he would've stopped tbh.
Should I just let him be then? I think he still has feelings for her.

Yep, that's his business. Nobody likes a busy-body (not saying you are, I'm saying don't turn into one :wink: ).
Yep, that's his business. Nobody likes a busy-body (not saying you are, I'm saying don't turn into one :wink: ).

He doesn't even want to talk about it.. Maybe I will stop a bit and let him calm down..
He doesn't even want to talk about it.. Maybe I will stop a bit and let him calm down..

Yeah, I think just leave the issue alone completely, it's not your place to get involved in all honesty. He obviously just needs to sort it out in his own head in his own time.
I don't understand what the issue is. The parties have moved on- forget it. No point being bitter at him when his actions have no impact on you or your friend now

Why did they break up?
Original post by neal95
I don't understand what the issue is. The parties have moved on- forget it. No point being bitter at him when his actions have no impact on you or your friend now

It does have an impact on me because I have to put up with his aggressive lad attitude nowadays.

Original post by chikane
Why did they break up?

Something to do with distance.
It does have an impact on me because I have to put up with his aggressive lad attitude nowadays.

Something to do with distance.

Was it a mutual break up or did she wanted the break up? if its the latter then he is probably still finding it hard getting over her and acts angry instead.
Have you asked him if she wanted to get back with him what would he say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending