The Student Room Group

please please please help urgent - set theory

1. Prove: If X⊆Y then P(X)⊆P(Y).
2. Prove: P(A∩B) = P(A) P(B) with detail please
3A. Prove that If A⊆B or B⊆A then P(A∪B) = P(A) P(B)
3B. Prove #3A from the opposite direction, meaning: if P(A∪B) = P(A) P(B) then A⊆B or B⊆A
4. N is a set of natural numbers N={0,1,2....,} . For every n⊆ N => An = {x∈ N | 0≤ x n}
Prove or Disprove the following:
a) A0 = Ø
b) n∈N An An+1
c) n∈ N An = N
d) n∈N k∈N m∈N |Am - An| = k
e) n∈N m∈N ((Am = {x2 | x∈An}) (m=n ^ n<2))
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bright_sunshine
1. Prove: If X⊆Y then P(X)⊆P(Y).
3A. Prove that If A⊆B or B⊆A then P(A∪B) = P(A) P(B)
3B. Prove #3A from the opposite direction, meaning: if P(A∪B) = P(A) P(B) then A⊆B or B⊆A
4. N is a set of natural numbers N={0,1,2....,} . For every n⊆ N => An = {x∈ N | 0≤ x n}
a) A0 = Ø
b) n∈N An An+1
c) n∈ N An = N
d) n∈N k∈N m∈N |Am - An| = k
e) n∈N m∈N ((Am = {x2 | x∈An}) (m=n ^ n<2))

What's up? D'you want us to do all your homework for you? Provide some thought at the very least.

Start off with: Let xXx \in X then
Unparseable latex formula:

\{x\} \in \matcal{P}(x)

- so...?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
What's up? D'you want us to do all your homework for you? Provide some thought at the very least.

Start off with: Let xXx \in X then
Unparseable latex formula:

\{x\} \in \matcal{P}(x)

- so...?

Yes the first one i think i pretty much got it ..
If P(X) is a subset of P(Y), what this means is that every subset of X is also a subset of Y. Therefore the union of all subsets of X is itself a subset of Y. But the union of all subsets of X is X itself, and therefore X⊆Y
is that correct?

this is not my homework, these are revision question for my test on sunday, and i'm getting stuck with them. I asked for detail so i could see step by step to understand better..
(edited 8 years ago)
2 is only true if A & B are independent ?
Reply 5
Yes the first one i think i pretty much got it ..
If P(X) is a subset of P(Y), what this means is that every subset of X is also a subset of Y. Therefore the union of all subsets of X is itself a subset of Y. But the union of all subsets of X is X itself, and therefore X⊆Y
is that correct?

this is not my homework, these are revision question for my test on sunday, and i'm getting stuck with them. I asked for detail so i could see step by step to understand better..

Your implication is the wrong way round, you need to show that XY    P(X)P(Y)X \subseteq Y \implies P(X) \subseteq P(Y).
Original post by joostan
Your implication is the wrong way round, you need to show that XY    P(X)P(Y)X \subseteq Y \implies P(X) \subseteq P(Y).

So since x is a subset of y, therefore the the sets of x are also in the sets of y (if not, he cannot be a subset), and the subset of x = p(x) must contain x, same with y,
therefore p(x) is a subset of p(y)?
Reply 7

Original post by the bear
2 is only true if A & B are independent ?

She's talking about the powerset, not probabilities. You need to do this in two stages. First show that P(AB)P(A)P(B)\mathcal{P}(A \cap B) \subseteq \mathcal{P}(A) \cap \mathcal{P}(B) and then the reverse. To do so:

Take any subset XABX \subseteq A \cap B then XP(A)P(B)X \in \mathcal{P}(A) \cap \mathcal{P}(B), etc... (remember that X is in both A and B, so...)
Reply 8
So since x is a subset of y, therefore the the sets of x are also in the sets of y (if not, he cannot be a subset), and the subset of x = p(x) must contain x, same with y,
therefore p(x) is a subset of p(y)?

You're getting there, though your argument isn't set out very clearly. I'm also not sure what you mean by the bolded part.
Original post by Zacken
She's talking about the powerset, not probabilities. You need to do this in two stages. First show that P(AB)P(A)P(B)\mathcal{P}(A \cap B) \subseteq \mathcal{P}(A) \cap \mathcal{P}(B) and then the reverse. To do so:

Take any subset XABX \subseteq A \cap B then XP(A)P(B)X \in \mathcal{P}(A) \cap \mathcal{P}(B), etc... (remember that X is in both A and B, so...)

can you please give me a little push with #4? my teacher hasn't gone through indexes so roughly and it's a part of my revision...
Original post by joostan
You're getting there, though your argument isn't set out very clearly. I'm also not sure what you mean by the bolded part.

bolded was by mistake, what else i missing?
Reply 11

a) A0 = Ø

This is easy: A0={xN:0x0}={xN:x=0}={}A_0 = \{x \in \mathbb{N} : 0 \leq x \leq 0\} = \{x \in \mathbb{N} : x = 0\} = \{\cdots \} is the set the empty set or not?
bolded was by mistake, what else i missing?

Nothing really, you just need to express the argument more precisely - you have if XYX \subseteq Y then AX\forall A \subseteq X we must have AYA \subseteq Y.
You can tidy up the conclusion from here.
Original post by Zacken
This is easy: A0={xN:0x0}={xN:x=0}={}A_0 = \{x \in \mathbb{N} : 0 \leq x \leq 0\} = \{x \in \mathbb{N} : x = 0\} = \{\cdots \} is the set the empty set or not?

it is
Reply 14
it is

Why do you think so?
Original post by Zacken

what i did was: not sure it's right..

A0 = {Ø}
= A-B <=> (A∈B) ^ (B∈A)
A0 = {Ø} = Ø <=> {Ø} Ø (doesn't take place) ^ Ø {Ø} (takes place)

therefore, its not true
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest