The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaadKaleem
Right, yes we did discuss a similar thing before.

Could we say like:

y = ax

Taking ln both sides

ln y = ln ax

Therefore: loge(ax) = ln y

Hence: ax = elny

ax = exlna

That works as well but is seems very laborious. :-)
Original post by Zacken
That works as well but is seems very laborious. :-)

Haha, thanks for your time once again! :tongue:
Reply 762
Original post by SaadKaleem
How come Boundaries are lower in June and not in January?

June is when everyone sits exams, but don't take my word for it. I've just noticed a pattern that Jan boundaries tend to be higher. Maybe because it's mostly retakers that give these exams, or that's at least the case here.

Original post by Zacken
We discussed this earlier, didn't we? elnf(x)=f(x)\displaystyle e^{\ln f(x)} = f(x) because exe^x and lnx\ln x are inverse operations.

So exlna=elnax=ax\displaystyle e^{x \ln a} = e^{\ln a^x} = a^x.

f1[f(x)]=f[f1(x)]=x\displaystyle f^{-1}\left [ f\left ( x \right ) \right ] = f\left [ f^{-1}(x) \right ] = x?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
June is when everyone sits exams, but don't take my word for it. I've just noticed a pattern that Jan boundaries tend to be higher. Maybe because it's mostly retakers that give these exams, or that's at least the case here.

Or people who are sitting them early because they covered things faster; these types are on average cleverer than the usual so up goes the boundaries.

f1[f(x)]=f[f1(x)]=x\displaystyle f^{-1}\left [ f\left ( x \right ) \right ] = f\left [ f^{-1}(x) \right ] = x?

Yep - inverses are always commutative. For any two elements under a binary operation, we have gg1=e=g1ggg^{-1} = e = g^{-1}g where ee is your identity element. In this case, the binary operations is composition and the identity is xx.

Boring backstory:

IGCSEs - June 2014:

IAL AS-levels - June 2015:

IAL A-levels - June 2016:

Current goals:
Hi, TSR! My current ambition is to study Mechanical Engineering w/ Mathematics at a reputed North American university. I'll be honest to myself - I'm not the smartest person on TSR. I'm probably around the lower quartiles, but I will fight and give it my 100% until I'm incapable of doing so. My current predicted grades are A*A*AA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively, but I'm striving for A*A*A*A to A*A*A*A*, and I really do hope I can show my face here with those grades on results day. I'll be updating my study blog and my mock scores as well.

Application status:
McGill University (Attending Fall 2016) - Acceptance
University of British Columbia, Vancouver - Acceptance
Queen's University - Acceptance
University of Toronto - withdrew application
University of Waterloo - Acknowledged
Imperial College London - Acknowledged
University College London - Acknowledged
University of Southampton - A*AA
University of Bath - A*AA
University of Manchester - AAA

Apologies for the long read and thank you for bearing with me. Here's a cookie for compensation: :cookie:

Have you considered how you will pay the tuition fees?
Reply 765
Aight, so I'm through with my second string of mocks. I pretty much gave up for the last two days 'cause I was so tired (my S3 mock wasn't great) but I've started my work this weekend to get up to speed. I've done a ton of physics revision and it's looking decent so far, quite honestly. :yep: M3/S3 could be better - I aim to be exam ready for it by mid-April latest by starting past papers. My FPs are going pretty smoothly at the moment, but seeing as I have 3 months till those exams, it's best not to exhaust materials right now.

I'm really mad that they gave me M3 June 2013 R for my mock :angry: I wanted to do that paper towards the end seeing as the boundaries were so low.

M3 June 2009:
Marks attained: 67/75
UMS: 100

I really couldn't see what was so hard about this paper - Q5, 6 and 7 were apparently threw people off, but I did alright in them; I lost marks in the stupidest questions (not seeing that there were given masses and using volumes instead + multiplication mistakes). Q6 and 7 were actually quite lovely and I feel like I'm getting stronger in SHM.

Gonna do an M3 paper a day until I get to 2013 now. Should get off my arse and start S3 as well, along with the Unit 6s. Ayman's got this!
Aight, so I'm through with my second string of mocks. I pretty much gave up for the last two days 'cause I was so tired (my S3 mock wasn't great) but I've started my work this weekend to get up to speed. I've done a ton of physics revision and it's looking decent so far, quite honestly. :yep: M3/S3 could be better - I aim to be exam ready for it by mid-April latest by starting past papers. My FPs are going pretty smoothly at the moment, but seeing as I have 3 months till those exams, it's best not to exhaust materials right now.

I'm really mad that they gave me M3 June 2013 R for my mock :angry: I wanted to do that paper towards the end seeing as the boundaries were so low.

M3 June 2009:
Marks attained: 67/75
UMS: 100

I really couldn't see what was so hard about this paper - Q5, 6 and 7 were apparently threw people off, but I did alright in them; I lost marks in the stupidest questions (not seeing that there were given masses and using volumes instead + multiplication mistakes). Q6 and 7 were actually quite lovely and I feel like I'm getting stronger in SHM.

Gonna do an M3 paper a day until I get to 2013 now. Should get off my arse and start S3 as well, along with the Unit 6s. Ayman's got this!

Holy sh&$ well done on full UMS!!!!!
Reply 767
Original post by Student403

thanks man but my raw was bad. :frown: I thought the paper was quite decent, why don't you try it?
thanks man but my raw was bad. :frown: I thought the paper was quite decent, why don't you try it?

I'm one of those people who has to revise late for it to be effective :') So I definitely will - but probably at the beginning of May :tongue:

Great thread, Mr Ayman!

I wish you the best of luck for May/June I'm sure you won't need it.

Spoiler

Reply 770
I'm one of those people who has to revise late for it to be effective :':wink: So I definitely will - but probably at the beginning of May :tongue:

How do you do so many papers over a couple of weeks? :afraid:
How do you do so many papers over a couple of weeks? :afraid:

AFK Runescape at the same time means I can power papers out - up to about 5 at a time :lol:

Well done on M3!! Don't even think about saying anything to the contrary. :tongue:
Reply 773
AFK Runescape at the same time means I can power papers out - up to about 5 at a time :lol:

Ooo is that like WOW? The only RPG I play competitively is Pokemon :colondollar:

Original post by DylanJ43
Great thread, Mr Ayman!

I wish you the best of luck for May/June I'm sure you won't need it.

Spoiler

I'm sure I will, Although I have an unconditional so I wouldn't really mind.

Seems like you have an admirer, @DylanJ42
Reply 774
Original post by Zacken
Well done on M3!! Don't even think about saying anything to the contrary. :tongue:

Thanks, Zain! I need to hammer out a bunch of papers this long weekend, for S3 as well. :redface:
Thanks, Zain! I need to hammer out a bunch of papers this long weekend, for S3 as well. :redface:

Aye, I've forgotten everything about S3. What is a hypothesis what is testing what is lyfe
Ooo is that like WOW? The only RPG I play competitively is Pokemon :colondollar:

I'm sure I will, Although I have an unconditional so I wouldn't really mind.

Yeah it's an MMORPG :biggrin: I've never played ANY of the Pokemon games oops :s-smilie:
Reply 777
Original post by Zacken
Aye, I've forgotten everything about S3. What is a hypothesis what is testing what is lyfe

it's when ya reject them hos like a straight up 9.8 m/s2

Yeah it's an MMORPG :biggrin: I've never played ANY of the Pokemon games oops :s-smilie:

My friends have been trying to get me into WOW, but I can't play it because Apple life... HAVE YOU NEVER OWNED A GAMEBOY??

i told the Duck troll guy to make an account with no "duck" in the name and forget about his duck accounts/trolling forever, this is what he came up with :laugh:
it's when ya reject them hos like a straight up 9.8 m/s2

My friends have been trying to get me into WOW, but I can't play it because Apple life... HAVE YOU NEVER OWNED A GAMEBOY??

:no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending