The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Refugees in Europe might suffer from PTSD?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJlover
Prove to me they don't, you can't disprove my point.

Between 50-57% of Syrian refugees experience PTSD
https://www.apa.org/international/pi/2015/09/noor-baker.pdf

Prove they do, no one can prove or disprove that someone has a condition until they are professionally diagnosed which takes more than a month from the first session.

Secondly the majority of migrants coming to Europe aren't Syrian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by paul514
Prove they do, no one can prove or disprove that someone has a condition until they are professionally diagnosed which takes more than a month from the first session.

Secondly the majority of migrants coming to Europe aren't Syrian.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just quoted you an academic piece with cited evidence of the rate of PTSD within refugee communities...but of course you wouldn't accept it for the sake of your argument.

you have to have PTSD to be diagnosed first, for at least a month, but Syria has been in civil war for longer than that.

and the majority of refugees are Syrian:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm not even sure why it would matter.
If you cannot behave yourself despite being given safe haven by a country which essentially owes you nothing, then you should be instantly deported.

But like many have already pointed out i don't really get your point. If we assume a minority within the crowds may be suffering from PTSD. So? If you come to a country that was attempting to help you and put its occupants in danger then you should be deported no questions. You seem to be implying we should be easier on them because they are refugees, when i think it should probably be the opposite (in terms of law enforcement and punishment).
Please stop this apologist bull
Original post by MJlover
I have read quite a bit on here about how refugees from the Arabic, Asian and African countries are getting in trouble with the law for really harsh crimes.

I try to take a step back and usually don't comment on those stories, as I sometimes feel its exaggerated by the press as because lets face it, some don't want refugees in Europe/their country. And the news and media will reflect that, as well as their own prejudice.

There was the riots in Germany (like Cologne), and stories of serious crime and sexual assault in camps.

(p.s. I have no sympathy for rapists and sexual abusers) however I feel like violent outbursts like riots and stabbings are the effects of coming from war-torn countries.

When you have PTSD, which I think I may have (not war but personal trauma), you react emotionally and in a panic-stricken way to situations which are reminiscent of your trauma, and situations in general. I understand the poor conditions of camps could make them feel claustrophobic, hopeless and full of dread.

Do you think this is a reaction to what they have seen in war and society's racism toward them?

i think the issue highlighted is not the nationality but the fact they were all from islamic countries, where women often feat mistreatment due to islamic culture, and the practices of Taharrush which occur in islamic communities

non islamic immigrants have come here beofre from , Asia and Africa without this this issue, from difficult circumstance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover
I just quoted you an academic piece with cited evidence of the rate of PTSD within refugee communities...but of course you wouldn't accept it for the sake of your argument.

you have to have PTSD to be diagnosed first, for at least a month, but Syria has been in civil war for longer than that.

Sorry there is ZERO chance that anyone can put any reliable figure on the amount of migrants with PTSD the study would have to be huge and repeated visits for each individual to the same health team.

Talking out of your arse if you believe that.

And no they are not a majority of Syrians at all, I don't care which link you provide as I could provide another for you you do that says they aren't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover

By the way derp your link shows that only just over a quarter of the migrants are Syrian and that's including the ones that have fake passports.

Such a fail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by paul514
By the way derp your link shows that only just over a quarter of the migrants are Syrian and that's including the ones that have fake passports.

Such a fail

Posted from TSR Mobile

over a quarter of how many nationalities, that makes them the majority nationality, no? How thick must you be...

you're so arrogant because you deny the truth even though its flat and plain, I've given you official statistics and studies, but you deny it just to prove a stance that was nothing in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover
I have read quite a bit on here about how refugees from the Arabic, Asian and African countries are getting in trouble with the law for really harsh crimes.I try to take a step back and usually don't comment on those stories, as I sometimes feel its exaggerated by the press as because lets face it, some don't want refugees in Europe/their country. And the news and media will reflect that, as well as their own prejudice.There was the riots in Germany (like Cologne), and stories of serious crime and sexual assault in camps.(p.s. I have no sympathy for rapists and sexual abusers) however I feel like violent outbursts like riots and stabbings are the effects of coming from war-torn countries.When you have PTSD, which I think I may have (not war but personal trauma), you react emotionally and in a panic-stricken way to situations which are reminiscent of your trauma, and situations in general. I understand the poor conditions of camps could make them feel claustrophobic, hopeless and full of dread.Do you think this is a reaction to what they have seen in war and society's racism toward them?
i think the issue highlighted is not the nationality but the fact they were all from islamic countries, where women often feat mistreatment due to islamic culture, and the practices of Taharrush which occur in islamic communitiesnon islamic immigrants have come here beofre from , Asia and Africa without this this issue, from difficult circumstance

some of these refugees are straight up savages rofl. this guy must have the craziest PTSD known to man
Reply 30
Original post by MC_booSack

some of these refugees are straight up savages rofl. this guy must have the craziest PTSD known to man

you come across racist
If he does have ptsd he should get it treated. And there is no excuse for it, there are plenty of people with PTSD like myself who have morals, self restraint and respect for others so would never do such a thing.
Original post by MJlover
over a quarter of how many nationalities, that makes them the majority nationality, no? How thick must you be...

you're so arrogant because you deny the truth even though its flat and plain, I've given you official statistics and studies, but you deny it just to prove a stance that was nothing in the first place.

Syrians are still not the majority of refugees,although they might be the largest nationality represented. There is a difference. Most refugees are not Syrian

Also, I noticed you did not respond to my post about how Bosnian refugees escaping from the war did not display the horrifying and disgusting behaviour that we are seeing now. This refugee crisis is not the first time western countries have taken in refugees
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Syrians are still not the majority of refugees,although they might be the largest nationality represented. There is a difference. Most refugees are not Syrian

Also, I noticed you did not respond to my post about how Bosnian refugees escaping from the war did not display the horrifying and disgusting behaviour that we are seeing now. This refugee crisis is not the first time western countries have taken in refugees

This and please explain how 190,000 people have been assessed and diagnosed with ptsd lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by teenhorrorstory

meaning of the word 'majority':
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=majority+meaning

Bosnian's are an anomaly, there are are a mixture of nationalities fleeing to Europe at the moment and they have mostly all been reported and involved in petty crime and rioting.
Reply 34
Original post by paul514
This and please explain how 190,000 people have been assessed and diagnosed with ptsd lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

The real number is 150,000 half and spread that among EU countries.
Reply 35
What I've got of the responses from my OP is that there is no sympathy and want for rehabilitation for Muslim refugees, quite sad really.
You haven't provided a realistic basis that there is around 190,000 people from Syria diagnosed with ptsd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by paul514
You haven't provided a realistic basis that there is around 190,000 people from Syria diagnosed with ptsd

Posted from TSR Mobile

the study that I posted said half of that. I guess it does not only refer to European refugees - since the figure was cited from the Eastern Mediterranean Public Health Health Network which is based in Jordan.
Original post by MJlover
the study that I posted said half of that. I guess it does not only refer to European refugees - since the figure was cited from the Eastern Mediterranean Public Health Health Network which is based in Jordan.

The paper written by a teaching intern (questionable credentials) cites EMPHNET, 2014

If you want to even be taken slightly seriously that 50-57% of Syrian migrants have PTSD you need to link that paper.

The over all number of Syrian migrants is over 360,000 according to your BBC link so even 50% is over 180,000.
Reply 39
Original post by paul514
The paper written by a teaching intern (questionable credentials) cites EMPHNET, 2014

If you want to even be taken slightly seriously that 50-57% of Syrian migrants have PTSD you need to link that paper.

The over all number of Syrian migrants is over 360,000 according to your BBC link so even 50% is over 180,000.

To be a university teaching intern you should be studying a PhD, and her degree area would reflect in her research, obviously. So I don't really have a problem with her credentials.

You can gain insight on mental health and refugees in Europe easily, if you care...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mental+health+survey+amongst+syrian+refugees
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending