The Student Room Group

Racist robot pulled by Microsoft

Microsoft created a robot on Twitter which turned out to be racist generating phrases such as:

''bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have now,''

and

''donald trump is the only hope we've got.''

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/tay-tweets-microsoft-ai-chatbot-posts-racist-messages-about-loving-hitler-and-hating-jews-a6949926.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slutty Salati
Microsoft created a robot on Twitter which turned out to be racist generating phrases such as:

''bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have now,''

and

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/tay-tweets-microsoft-ai-chatbot-posts-racist-messages-about-loving-hitler-and-hating-jews-a6949926.html

Sounds like one of our regulars we get posting on here. Perhaps we'll see less of those threads now.....
Original post by moonkatt
Sounds like one of our regulars we get posting on here. Perhaps we'll see less of those threads now.....

I know it's a slight digression, but how would TSR feel about a bot which posts intelligible statements, which are generated rather than copied on this website?

(Obviously not racist ones)
I know it's a slight digression, but how would TSR feel about a bot which posts intelligible statements, which are generated rather than copied on this website?

(Obviously not racist ones)

I dunno tbh, we have a bit that bumps unanswered posts in the study help forums to try and get them seen, but as for an actual ai bot, I don't know what the point would be, as the idea of TSR is for students to talk to each other, rather than to talk to a computer programme (these are my own thoughts, not official TSR thoughts on the matter).
Reply 4
Saw this story. Found it hilarious.

It learned phrases based on the interactions it was having with users on Twitter, so it says a lot for the platform that within 24hrs of this brand new untarnished programme hitting the public it had been totally ruined.
So within almost no time it became an intenet troll? Sounds pretty intelligent to me........
Reply 6
Original post by KimKallstrom
So within almost no time it became an intenet troll? Sounds pretty intelligent to me........

A troll does it knowingly; they know they're provoking something.

This bot didn't. This is akin to a child doing it because that's how they've been brought up. It's essentially brainwashing.
Reply 7
I love the internet sometimes.

i dont see the problem, sounds like the bot developed into a prescient member of society with a keen interest in global politics

:h:
Original post by Drewski
A troll does it knowingly; they know they're provoking something.

This bot didn't. This is akin to a child doing it because that's how they've been brought up. It's essentially brainwashing.

Either that or this thing got you good :wink:
Factory reset and try again after the American election is over?
Best thing i've seen in years.
Original post by Drewski
Saw this story. Found it hilarious.

It learned phrases based on the interactions it was having with users on Twitter, so it says a lot for the platform that within 24hrs of this brand new untarnished programme hitting the public it had been totally ruined.

I really laughed when I first read the story the other day. It's so typical of the clash between the idealistic geekery of the Silicon Valley lot and the reality of the everyday internet user, that their precious neural network was going to learn how to be human from Twitter, a pretty crazy idea right out of the box. :lol:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Factory reset and try again after the American election is over?

Probably best to keep it away from interacting with Donald.
Atleast it wasn't a Communist.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Probably best to keep it away from interacting with Donald.

I'm still holding on to the hope that he won't win.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I'm still holding on to the hope that he won't win.

Reason says they can't possibly elect someone so off the wall. Knowledge of America says they can.
Its a shame they shut it down so quickly. It would have been interesting to see how it reacted once people tried to teach it not to say such things.

Missed opportunity
That is hilarious.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Reason says they can't possibly elect someone so off the wall. Knowledge of America says they can.

Is he more on the wall, or at least very pro wall...

Original post by Farm_Ecology
Its a shame they shut it down so quickly. It would have been interesting to see how it reacted once people tried to teach it not to say such things.

Missed opportunity

Like taken it off Twitter and made it see a psychiatrist?

Quick Reply