The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I hope this is not too personal a question to ask but how many of you actually pray to Mary? Like, not just have a devotion to her but talk to Her regularly through prayer?

I'm asking because I just read this sentence in Pope Francis' 'The Road That Leads To Lent' booklet published this year, by the Catholic Truth Society: "May Immaculate Mother Mary, without sin, sustain our spiritual battle against sin..."

It's once again made me realise I never talk to the Blessed Mother. But I'm not entirely sure how to? :colondollar:

Other than the Hail Mary or Hail Holy Queen at mass, hardly ever. I rarely ask for the intercession of one of the Saints either. So I cannot be of any help to you- hope someone else can.
Reply 7781
Happy feast of St Joseph :h:

Looks like today's Father's Day in Italy, which I love!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aula
Happy feast of St Joseph :h:

Looks like today's Father's Day in Italy, which I love!

Ahhhh that's lovely that it's on his feast day :h:
Good Friday and the Feast of the Immaculate Conception are on the same day this year. If we were to have Mothering Sunday as now in the UK and St Joseph as Fathers Day, you could have them both on the same day some years.
Original post by barnetlad
Other than the Hail Mary or Hail Holy Queen at mass, hardly ever. I rarely ask for the intercession of one of the Saints either. So I cannot be of any help to you- hope someone else can.

Huge apologies, I did reply to this but clearly only in my head :facepalm:

Thanks for letting me know. I am kind of the same. I do firmly believe in the veneration of the Blessed Mother - I've just never really done it myself. Got some good advice from SS above though :colondollar:
Reply 7785
Good Friday and the Feast of the Immaculate Conception are on the same day this year. If we were to have Mothering Sunday as now in the UK and St Joseph as Fathers Day, you could have them both on the same day some years.

Haha, I'd not thought of that! You totally could do!

And you mean the feast of the annunciation? Actually it's transferred to the first free day after - so this year it's the 4th April :yep:

(Immaculate conception is Mary, and in December, Annunciation is Jesus)
Original post by Aula

And you mean the feast of the annunciation?

Ah that makes more sense - was getting a bit confused there :colondollar:
If you are attending a Palm Sunday service, please think of me and say a prayer. Not well enough to go myself :cry2: Feel like I've failed Jesus :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today's been horrific in terms of mental health. So horrific that my mum got out the Holy Water! :eek:

Please pray :cry:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
If you are attending a Palm Sunday service, please think of me and say a prayer. Not well enough to go myself :cry2: Feel like I've failed Jesus :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remembered to include you in my prayers after communion. Hope things can get better in this Holy Week.
I remembered to include you in my prayers after communion. Hope things can get better in this Holy Week.

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your prayers :redface:
Hi guys, sorry for messaging on Good Friday. I just have a question and I can't seem to find the answer. Basically I've always abstain from meat every Good Friday and it's never been an issue. However I'm having such a hard time today. I've been pretty ill in the last few days (anaemia amongst other things) and I am badly craving meat. How bad of a sin is it and how do I do penance for it? Opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Hi guys, sorry for messaging on Good Friday. I just have a question and I can't seem to find the answer. Basically I've always abstain from meat every Good Friday and it's never been an issue. However I'm having such a hard time today. I've been pretty ill in the last few days (anaemia amongst other things) and I am badly craving meat. How bad of a sin is it and how do I do penance for it? Opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry am only seeing this now but we've spoken on Facebook so it's all good :biggrin:
It's a long story but to cut it short - went to ST Peters now I'm thinking of becoming catholic, what next? What do I do?
Reply 7794
Original post by donutaud15

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're ill the rules for fasting don't apply. If you have issues with things like anemia then it's definitely not a sin to eat meat. Maybe look at doing some other form of penance instead? Making sure you only drink water/don't snack on anything etc.
Reply 7795
Original post by Thomb
It's a long story but to cut it short - went to ST Peters now I'm thinking of becoming catholic, what next? What do I do?

Find a priest and speak to them. Research as much as you can about the faith - get a copy of the YouCat.

If you're at uni your chaplain is probably the best person to speak to. They're likely to have an RCIA group you can join.
Original post by Thomb

You look at the doctrine and history etc. and see if it's something you would genuinely like to be a part of. Once you've had a careful think, if you decide it's for you, then look into any local RCIA programmes, or speak to your local RC parish priest :yes:
Original post by Aula
Find a priest and speak to them. Research as much as you can about the faith - get a copy of the YouCat.

If you're at uni your chaplain is probably the best person to speak to. They're likely to have an RCIA group you can join.

All I've had so far is a religious experience in St Peters. Can I just go to church and talk to a priest there?
Reply 7798
Original post by Thomb
All I've had so far is a religious experience in St Peters. Can I just go to church and talk to a priest there?

Yup! That's what they're there for. If you call the parish office you'll be able to make an appointment to go and have a chat :yep:
Original post by Aula
Yup! That's what they're there for. If you call the parish office you'll be able to make an appointment to go and have a chat :yep:

Really wow. Do you know if the Prussian royal family are RC?

Quick Reply

Latest