The Student Room Group

CAMHS

So I have my CAMHS assessment appointment next week and I'm pretty damn scared. Would any one be willing to talk about their experience... Some good stories would help... 99% of YouTube videos talk about how CAMHS basically ruined their life. Also if I can DM anyone with more questions that I have that would be great

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by #sarahsmith2
So

Don't be scared - they are not that bad. Obviously some of the staff are better than others but they generally are trying to help people and doing their best. I had a CAMHS assessment when I was younger, they just asked me questions about my past and also about what I was havng problems with, how it affects my life etc. They may speak to your parents if they are there - they took a brief history from my mum.
Original post by Jenx301
Don't be scared - they are not that bad. Obviously some of the staff are better than others but they generally are trying to help people and doing their best. I had a CAMHS assessment when I was younger, they just asked me questions about my past and also about what I was havng problems with, how it affects my life etc. They may speak to your parents if they are there - they took a brief history from my mum.

Some of these questions may be quite personal so obviously only answer them if you can or even DM me if you can
1) What did you go in for?
2) Did going help?
3) What was the outcome of the appointment?
Reply 3
Some of these questions may be quite personal so obviously only answer them if you can or even DM me if you can
1) What did you go in for?
2) Did going help?
3) What was the outcome of the appointment?

No worries - I don't mind although this was quite a few years ago so my memory is a little foggy

1) I was experiencing low mood, anxiety and self harming
2) It did a little bit, it was useful to have someone to talk to at the very least
3) The outcome was that they decided I needed more support and offered me appointments with a psychiatric nurse who I saw for a while.
So I have my CAMHS assessment appointment next week and I'm pretty damn scared. Would any one be willing to talk about their experience... Some good stories would help... 99% of YouTube videos talk about how CAMHS basically ruined their life. Also if I can DM anyone with more questions that I have that would be great

Do feel free to DM/PM me if you would like to talk about CAMHS assessments. I had mine a while ago, but I also know about mental health assessments through work. But honestly, don't listen to the YouTube comments. There will be people who say things are bad, but behind that, there will be loss of people who are satisfied, and you know what, satisfied people don't make YouTube videos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
Do feel free to DM/PM me if you would like to talk about CAMHS assessments. I had mine a while ago, but I also know about mental health assessments through work. But honestly, don't listen to the YouTube comments. There will be people who say things are bad, but behind that, there will be loss of people who are satisfied, and you know what, satisfied people don't make YouTube videos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will - thanks so much for replying and that's definitely true thanks
I went to CAMHS for Aspergers, low mood and suicidal ideation. I was scared about going but it was completely fine. They asked some questions about my symptoms, about my past, they asked me to rate my mood from like 1-10, and they asked my parents some questions. The therapist was really nice and I felt quite relaxed once I actually got there.

I got a diagnosis of Aspergers and started cognitive behavioural therapy for low mood, which mainly just involved talking to a therapist about everything and identifying some of my negative thoughts. It was a huge help, and the only problem I had with it is that I don't think I got enough therapy sessions.
Reply 7

Hey feel free to pm me. I didn't spend too long with CAMHS cos I was about 17 when I got sent over but I was there for a while. It's honestly not that bad. It feels rather awkward and unsettling to start with and is kinda annoying where you're in an environment set up for kids when you are essentially an adult, but as far as the actual therapy goes it's basically the same as you get in adult services. I definately found it better than counseling.

I personally find anything like therapy gets on my nerves quickly, but I know it has done me good in the long run even if i had some negative experiences.

Instead of me rambling on here just pm me and ask what you want to know. I've been in camhs, counseling, cbt, group therapy and individual therapy. I have/ had ocd, depression and anxiety and dyslexia and ADD. Ask me about anything you want to, not just about camhs or therapy. I'll answer anything I can :smile:
it's like anything, there are good staff and bad staff... in my experience (and I can into contact with a lot of people at cahms) the good people far outweighed the bad and you can of course always complain and request someone else if they are truly terrible

the only thing that sucks at the moment is the short staffing but once you get an appointment that shouldn't actually affect you too much

other posters have told you a bit about the initial appointment, you'll have the option of being alone or with a parent, they will probably want a parent in for at least part of it for family history/their perspective, but they will also give you a chance to talk alone in case you want/need to disclose abuse/self harm/etc without telling your mum (although normal confidentiality stuff applies, they will pass on information if you are at risk), obviously they won't necessarily expect you to disclose heavy stuff to a total stranger so don't worry if you don't feel able to say everything at first (although it will help them give you the right help)

I would recommend giving 100% to whatever therapy they offer you as it really can make a world of difference, but you will get in what you put in, attending appointments wont fix the problems you're having, you have to do that yourself, I honestly think staff at CAHMS saved my life, I think I would be dead by now if I hadn't received the help I did
Hey :smile: I know you've had offers already but feel free to DM me as well- mine was about 2 months ago so pretty fresh should be able to answer questions in depth. Main thing: they're lovely and there to help; I was so so nervous as well but everyone was so nice there was no need to be :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
it's like anything, there are good staff and bad staff... in my experience (and I can into contact with a lot of people at cahms) the good people far outweighed the bad and you can of course always complain and request someone else if they are truly terrible

the only thing that sucks at the moment is the short staffing but once you get an appointment that shouldn't actually affect you too much

other posters have told you a bit about the initial appointment, you'll have the option of being alone or with a parent, they will probably want a parent in for at least part of it for family history/their perspective, but they will also give you a chance to talk alone in case you want/need to disclose abuse/self harm/etc without telling your mum (although normal confidentiality stuff applies, they will pass on information if you are at risk), obviously they won't necessarily expect you to disclose heavy stuff to a total stranger so don't worry if you don't feel able to say everything at first (although it will help them give you the right help)

I would recommend giving 100% to whatever therapy they offer you as it really can make a world of difference, but you will get in what you put in, attending appointments wont fix the problems you're having, you have to do that yourself, I honestly think staff at CAHMS saved my life, I think I would be dead by now if I hadn't received the help I did

Thanks for replying - it's so good to hear a good story of what they have been able to do for once. If you don't mind DMing me, or replying anonymously, I'd kind of like to know again what you went in for and what the result was
CAMHS did nothing for me.

The counsellor was really nice (probably the only reason I put up with it.)

But all they talked about was anxiety. Anxiety wasn't why I went there to begin with. I was depressed. I went to the doctors saying I was going to kill myself, but all I got from CAMHS was some stupid anxiety handouts that I never read again.

I had episodes of mania because of bipolar disorder that they refused to diagnose then. I just got given some pep talks about this anxiety, which I'm sure I don't even have. They didn't give me any medication either, even though I blatantly needed it. I was undergoing a manic episode at one point, and they just gave me a drug test. The doctor came and basically interrogated me about what drugs I'd taken when I'd taken nothing. I got some questionnaire about drugs and alcoholism and a threat to be referred to that team (one I didn't even need, just like the stupid anxiety one!)

I didn't get diagnosed with an eating disorder because I wasn't underweight enough, even though I got referred to them for that reason too. I knew I had anorexia, as everytime someone posted about it, or I read symptoms, I felt I was the only person that felt that way. Kind of like they'd read my journal, but because my BMI wasn't low enough I got no help at all.

I felt like they weren't taking me seriously, and it just made my mental health worse. I actually thought it was all in my head, just a phase, and I'd eventually get over it.

The only reason I got real help was when it was too late, and I had to be hospitalised. Then I saw real counsellors that weren't a part of CAMHS. Without that I probably wouldn't even be here right now.

Sorry to be blunt, not sure if that is just the services in my area. Your experience might be different.

Feel free to DM me if you need to talk about anything, though :smile: I've been through hell and back, so hopefully I could offer some advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
I also had some experience with CAMHS when I was younger. I did not find it particularly helpful but this was partly due to me not wanting to engage with them at the time.

My biggest tip would be to be honest. Do not be worried or embarrassed about what you have to say. If you want to get help and a proper assessment, the team need to know exactly what the situation is.

All the best, and hope the assessment goes well. Feel free to message if you have any questions.
I had two experiences with CAMHS, each lasting around 4 months each. Once at age 13, once at age 16. (recently) First round I went in for depression and anxiety. Second round I went in for severe depression, severe anxiety, and hypomania.

No, it didn't help. They denied the existence of my hypomania and to be honest it seems they aren't equipped to diagnose any major mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder). They told me I had anxiety and mild depression. Though because my anxiety is tied to my moods, it wasn't very successful.

I was later diagnosed with Bipolar II by a post-cancer psychologist (Long story) and about to get put on medication through an Early Invention for Psychosis team.

I was offered 4 CBT appointments at CAMHS, that's it. They made it very clear that they had to start thinking about discharging me from them as soon as possible, as they stated those exact words within five minutes of the first appointment.

Honestly, I would tell anyone experiencing major mental illnesses to go private or anywhere else. This is only my experience, and have heard many good reviews of CAMHS. One of my best friend's agoraphobia was greatly helped by them. If your problem is depression or anxiety, maybe you'll benefit.

Ah, well it's all over now. :colonhash: I just hope no-one experiences what I did. Good luck to you.
I went for one session before going private, CAMHS is slow, well meaning for its patients but very, very slow.

DM me if you want.

I'm 16, when I was 15 I went to CAMHS in Dagenham for anorexia. I really wish I could be positive...
The dietician I saw, called Anna, was great, she was really lovely and supportive and the doctor I saw was also helpful. However my main therapist, called Emily (only giving you this info in the off chance you're going to the same one as me so you can be prepared!!) was :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:. She was horrible and mean and judgemental. She offered no support other than to make me feel like a piece of :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: and tell me to just eat. She didn't offer therapy other than to tell me to eat and never once tried to understand WHY I was ill. I truly despise her and I have not heard positive things from my friend who was also anorexic, about the other therapists. You may be lucky and it's not like they're abusive or anything, just not that nice. Don't be scared, it's not bad like that, it's just not in any way useful. You might be different though! But please DM me for anything or if you just want to talk, I'm always here and I'd appreciate it too as, suffice to say, their :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: service meant that I never recovered and I'm still anorexic and i SH. What are you going in for?
I had two experiences with CAMHS, each lasting around 4 months each. Once at age 13, once at age 16. (recently) First round I went in for depression and anxiety. Second round I went in for severe depression, severe anxiety, and hypomania.

No, it didn't help. They denied the existence of my hypomania and to be honest it seems they aren't equipped to diagnose any major mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder). They told me I had anxiety and mild depression. Though because my anxiety is tied to my moods, it wasn't very successful.

I was later diagnosed with Bipolar II by a post-cancer psychologist (Long story) and about to get put on medication through an Early Invention for Psychosis team.

I was offered 4 CBT appointments at CAMHS, that's it. They made it very clear that they had to start thinking about discharging me from them as soon as possible, as they stated those exact words within five minutes of the first appointment.

Honestly, I would tell anyone experiencing major mental illnesses to go private or anywhere else. This is only my experience, and have heard many good reviews of CAMHS. One of my best friend's agoraphobia was greatly helped by them. If your problem is depression or anxiety, maybe you'll benefit.

Ah, well it's all over now. :colonhash: I just hope no-one experiences what I did. Good luck to you.

This!

I wrote a similar post above, literally exactly as you're describing. I thought I was the only one that thought about them discrediting some mental illnesses. I see the EIP team too, and they are amazing. They've literally saved my life (and I only got help because I was hospitalised.) CAMHS tried to tell me I only had 'anxiety.' When in reality I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and anorexia as soon as I left them.
This!

I wrote a similar post above, literally exactly as you're describing. I thought I was the only one that thought about them discrediting some mental illnesses. I see the EIP team too, and they are amazing. They've literally saved my life (and I only got help because I was hospitalised.) CAMHS tried to tell me I only had 'anxiety.' When in reality I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and anorexia as soon as I left them.

I didn't mean to go anonymous!
Reply 18
Original post by Save.Me
I didn't mean to go anonymous!

I don't think CAMHS are well enough equipped diagnose people with personality disorders, bipolar etc. I was 18 when I first entered the services and originally diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression. It wasn't until I saw a psychiatrist was i diagnosed with a PD
Original post by Airmed
I don't think CAMHS are well enough equipped diagnose people with personality disorders, bipolar etc. I was 18 when I first entered the services and originally diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression. It wasn't until I saw a psychiatrist was i diagnosed with a PD

Maybe it was your team? CAMHS psychiatrists do diagnose psychosis, bipolar. However with PD it is often termed emerging PD, as ones personality is usually not "fixed" until later on after age 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest