The Student Room Group

How are my A-Level options looking?

I recently changed my A-level options for the 7 millionth time and i think i'm comfortable. They are: Maths, English Literature, Economics and Philosophy(and Ethics). Any comment on difficulty, enjoyment and tips would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Looks good.

wish you the best
Original post by Bondioz
I recently changed my A-level options for the 7 millionth time and i think i'm comfortable. They are: Maths, English Literature, Economics and Philosophy(and Ethics). Any comment on difficulty, enjoyment and tips would be appreciated :smile:

Philosophy and ethics is interesting and fairly easy. That's the only one I can really speak for. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by UnknownAnon
Philosophy and ethics is interesting and fairly easy. That's the only one I can really speak for. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only reason that I'd change it is that i'd most likely be the only boy to take it... none of my friends
Original post by Bondioz
The only reason that I'd change it is that i'd most likely be the only boy to take it... none of my friends

Make new friends!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bondioz

I do English lit which is great except for the coursework, but I think they are getting rid of that now - lucky you! I do straight philosophy which must be similar to philosophy and ethics. Only thing I will say is, if you are considering philosophy because you think it will be easier to get a good grade - DON'T! On the board I do (AQA) philosophy is one of the subjects with the lowest % of students achieving an A or A* grade. You'd be much better off doing religious studies if you are looking for an easy A.
Reply 6
Original post by Platopus
I do English lit which is great except for the coursework, but I think they are getting rid of that now - lucky you! I do straight philosophy which must be similar to philosophy and ethics. Only thing I will say is, if you are considering philosophy because you think it will be easier to get a good grade - DON'T! On the board I do (AQA) philosophy is one of the subjects with the lowest % of students achieving an A or A* grade. You'd be much better off doing religious studies if you are looking for an easy A.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I love everything about English so that's not going anywhere! I'm a pretty good essay writer and enjoy philosophical concepts, so I would take it for the grade and enjoyment... only thing is that i'm not sure how far the grade would get me in the future.
I did philosophy and ethics last year and as much as I enjoyed it, I ended up dropping it at A2 :smile: I got a B but there were other factors that put me off continuing it (mostly the bad teaching of it)
It is a really good subject because it's so interesting but I just preferred my other subjects over that
Original post by Bondioz
Thanks, that's really helpful! I love everything about English so that's not going anywhere! I'm a pretty good essay writer and enjoy philosophical concepts, so I would take it for the grade and enjoyment... only thing is that i'm not sure how far the grade would get me in the future.

I would really reccommend it, but then I am planning to study philosophy at university. It is counted as a facilitating subject by all universities, including Oxbridge so I wouldn't worry about it closing any doors. What would you take instead?

Philosophy and English are also a great combination. I have been able to use a lot of what we study in philosophy relevant to context in English lit e.g. Aristotle's virtue ethics really widened my understanding of the revenge tragedy genre.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I would really reccommend it, but then I am planning to study philosophy at university. It is counted as a facilitating subject by all universities, including Oxbridge so I wouldn't worry about it closing any doors. What would you take instead?

Philosophy and English are also a great combination. I have been able to use a lot of what we study in philosophy relevant to context in English lit e.g. Aristotle's virtue ethics really widened my understanding of the revenge tragedy genre.

That last part has made me want to take it even more now! Instead of Ph&E it would most likely be a science (which I've heard is extremely difficult at A-level and a huge step up from GCSE) or Business Studies, which is a bit of a drab to be honest. I really like the sound of it now, but the only things that could potentially prevent me taking it are shameful; opinions of others and 0 friends taking it.
Reply 10
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I did philosophy and ethics last year and as much as I enjoyed it, I ended up dropping it at A2 :smile: I got a B but there were other factors that put me off continuing it (mostly the bad teaching of it)
It is a really good subject because it's so interesting but I just preferred my other subjects over that

Did any of your friends take it with you? +is it quite essay based?
Original post by Bondioz
Did any of your friends take it with you? +is it quite essay based?

One of my close friends took it as well and she's continuing it this year but I don't think she's enjoying it much anymore; our class began with around 20 people and it ended up being 8 because so many people dropped it in the first few weeks of AS because they didn't like it
And I did edexcel and it was all essay based you'd do 3 30 markers in one exam and then one 50 marker in the other (if I remember rightly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bondioz
That last part has made me want to take it even more now! Instead of Ph&E it would most likely be a science (which I've heard is extremely difficult at A-level and a huge step up from GCSE) or Business Studies, which is a bit of a drab to be honest. I really like the sound of it now, but the only things that could potentially prevent me taking it are shameful; opinions of others and 0 friends taking it.

Go for it, you will love it! If you're in to English, I can't tell you how valuable studying philosophy has been to my English essays haha.

When I started studying philosophy, 3 of my friends were also taking it. Within 3 weeks, they had all dropped it (not to put you off) but I made new friends in my class. There's only 4 of us studying it at A2 and we're s tight knit group which is nice.

Doing a science would open more doors in that it would enable you to study that science at university. But, unless you want to do a degree which requires a science A-level I don't see the point if you won't enjoy it as much. Business studies is fine too, though some universities won't count it as a facilitating subject.
Reply 13
Go for it, you will love it! If you're in to English, I can't tell you how valuable studying philosophy has been to my English essays haha.

When I started studying philosophy, 3 of my friends were also taking it. Within 3 weeks, they had all dropped it (not to put you off) but I made new friends in my class. There's only 4 of us studying it at A2 and we're s tight knit group which is nice.

Doing a science would open more doors in that it would enable you to study that science at university. But, unless you want to do a degree which requires a science A-level I don't see the point if you won't enjoy it as much. Business studies is fine too, though some universities won't count it as a facilitating subject.

I think that I maybe feel as though a science could be too much in addition to Maths and Economics?
And to add, I'm a boy, and it's very likely that all others taking it will be girls which could make the lesson pretty awkward for me... but who knows, could be a positive aha.
Original post by Bondioz
I think that I maybe feel as though a science could be too much in addition to Maths and Economics?
And to add, I'm a boy, and it's very likely that all others taking it will be girls which could make the lesson pretty awkward for me... but who knows, could be a positive aha.

Don't let it bother you, we don't bite :P and if it makes you feel any better, every single philosopher you study in any depth is pretty much guaranteed to be male!

I have friends who study a science with maths and economics but they are either planning to do economics or a science at uni. Do you have any idea of what degree you would like to pursue? If essay subjects are your thing, you will enjoy philosophy. If not, have you considered history?
Reply 15
Don't let it bother you, we don't bite :P and if it makes you feel any better, every single philosopher you study in any depth is pretty much guaranteed to be male!

I have friends who study a science with maths and economics but they are either planning to do economics or a science at uni. Do you have any idea of what degree you would like to pursue? If essay subjects are your thing, you will enjoy philosophy. If not, have you considered history?

Aha don't worry I'm far from sexist, but obviously if I'm the only boy it could(!) make things less enjoyable... I'll find out if there are people that I like that may take it. In regards to uni, I don't mind the idea of Economics considering how beneficial it is in the future to have a degree in it. English lit would be great if it could get me a nice job, but teaching isn't really my thing. And I didn't study History at GCSE :frown: wish I had though.
Reply 16
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
One of my close friends took it as well and she's continuing it this year but I don't think she's enjoying it much anymore; our class began with around 20 people and it ended up being 8 because so many people dropped it in the first few weeks of AS because they didn't like it
And I did edexcel and it was all essay based you'd do 3 30 markers in one exam and then one 50 marker in the other (if I remember rightly)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it matters about friendships at A-level? People are always saying not to base subjects that you take on friends/ teachers :/
Original post by Bondioz
Do you think it matters about friendships at A-level? People are always saying not to base subjects that you take on friends/ teachers :/

You will make new friends, don't worry about it :smile: I'm now talking to new people I'd never thought I'd speak to before A levels
Basing it on what your friends are doing isn't bad really as long as you genuinely want to do the subject and it's not a matter of "well if my friend is doing it I might as well do it" and with the teachers thing, I chose politics hoping that I'd get a specific teacher but it turned out he wasn't teaching it that year but I still enjoyed the subject
You'll still see your friends in the library/common room even if you don't pick the same subjects so don't worry about it :smile:
Original post by Bondioz
Aha don't worry I'm far from sexist, but obviously if I'm the only boy it could(!) make things less enjoyable... I'll find out if there are people that I like that may take it. In regards to uni, I don't mind the idea of Economics considering how beneficial it is in the future to have a degree in it. English lit would be great if it could get me a nice job, but teaching isn't really my thing. And I didn't study History at GCSE :frown: wish I had though.

Have you done any reading to see if it interests you? For a philosophy and ethics course, you will definitely be studying utilitarianism so a nice place to start would be a relatively easy primary text such as Mill's Utilitarianism or Bentham's Principles of Morals and Legislation. Both are short (only about 100 pages each max) and because they are out of copy right, you can find pdf versions for free online.

Quick Reply

Latest