The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I haven't touched a guitar in over a week! :eek:

Fortunately there's a practical (and highly enjoyable) application to developing finger dexterity... :p:
What's this practical application? And welcome back!

I don't like London because it's congested, overcrowded, overpopulated, squished, expensive and very, very loud.

Give me some nice countryside any day :wink:.

Oh, and who rep'd me for my comment on London? :eek: It gave me a new gem!
Erm.... I hate London too! (Even though I'm applying to 2 of them :wink:)

Ah, with the finger problem, I've adapted to playing with 3 fingers now! :biggrin:
I gather SC was being a bit naughty with that comment! :eek:

Alright MM? Long time, blad :p:
The thumb is key, particularly with a circular motion, fingers doing a lot of the "detail work"....

ok I'm done :p:
*Shakes his head*

Who would've thought it of you, SC? :p:
Reply 1666
Come on man, there are children watching *maybe, and not literally* :smile:
My ears still burn :p:
Reply 1668
Knights of Cydonia - Muse

Fantastic song!!! Good guitar bit As is Creep by Radiohead - bit of an oldy though...

I thought it might be novel if the guitar society thread got onto some sort of guitar talk again :p:
*Faints* Guitar talk? In this thread? I thought we'd lost touch of that :p:.

Who here loves guitar? Say aye!

AYE!
aye
vector771
Knights of Cydonia - Muse

Invincible reading - Muse
That's brilliant!

Edit: aye!
Wahey, 100% record so far. I think that's a good sign :p:
aye

just been getting a bit distracted of late.
Hey guys/girls/fruits, i'm new to guitaryness so don't hurt me :smile: (so new i havn't even got my guitar yet :eek:)

Just ordered an Aria STG003 in Metallic Red :biggrin: not exactly the best guitar in the world (i don't think) but hopefully good enough to not be ridiculed by y'all :frown:

So anyone got any comments/words of wisdom to i part into the newbie? :smile:
Where do you want to go guitar wise?
Reply 1676
If you're a complete beginner, then joining a guitar forum is always useful. Especially one like www.guitarzone.com (check the lessons section).

You want to start with the basics - open chords, caged, learning the notes on the fretboards, standard tuning, minor/major scales (slightly more complicated). Get used to chord changes first.

Here are some links:
http://jguitar.com/

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/

Guitar Zone Lessons
Wow, a helpful man!

But if learning that way is too complicated, feel free to post questions on here. Our resident experts - namely Sunburned Cactus - will probably give you just the answer you're after. :wink:
Reply 1678
Yeah, but when you research elsewhere on the net, on your own, you often stumble upon something new, and so your knowledge grows. I highly recommend joining a guitar forum; I've certainly learnt a lot from this over the past few years.

You could always get a guitar teacher, but I could never see myself paying the sort of dosh they're after. There's just so much stuff on the net.

I'm self taught from books, started six years ago before I used the internet for such purposes. Still learning! :biggrin:
I have a teacher, and he pretty much teaches me what I tell him to teach me. I pay him, after all, so he damned well better! :p:

Nah, he's a great teacher. But yeah, getting a teacher is definitely worth it - to illustrate, I've been playing for one year and 7 months now, and I'm at around grade 5 all round. So... :biggrin:

No doubt internet is a useful resource, I was just saying that this guitar soc should also be used for educational purposes :biggrin: We all like to help where we can, that's what makes it so good.

Latest