The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Refugees in Europe might suffer from PTSD?

Scroll to see replies

Why are online feminists such idiots?
Original post by MJlover
I have read quite a bit on here about how refugees from the Arabic, Asian and African countries are getting in trouble with the law for really harsh crimes.

I try to take a step back and usually don't comment on those stories, as I sometimes feel its exaggerated by the press as because lets face it, some don't want refugees in Europe/their country. And the news and media will reflect that, as well as their own prejudice.

There was the riots in Germany (like Cologne), and stories of serious crime and sexual assault in camps.

(p.s. I have no sympathy for rapists and sexual abusers) however I feel like violent outbursts like riots and stabbings are the effects of coming from war-torn countries.

When you have PTSD, which I think I may have (not war but personal trauma), you react emotionally and in a panic-stricken way to situations which are reminiscent of your trauma, and situations in general. I understand the poor conditions of camps could make them feel claustrophobic, hopeless and full of dread.

Do you think this is a reaction to what they have seen in war and society's racism toward them?

PTSD alone does not cause that. Someone with PTSD may be aggressive, but often in a way, he can't control, so e.g. destroying his kitchen, getting faster in a fight, etc. ... {In Europe we had thousands coming back from the great war, WWII (concentration camps, POW, bombings, "just" war => while war certainly not brought out the best out of men, we did not have suddenly millions of criminals after war)}.

PTSD is not a mental illness turning someone normal into a criminal.
Original post by MJlover
you come across racist
If he does have ptsd he should get it treated. And there is no excuse for it, there are plenty of people with PTSD like myself who have morals, self restraint and respect for others so would never do such a thing.
lol why do i come across as racist?
Original post by MJlover
but I think that PTSD may explain other violence and rioting.

It doesn't. PTSD and coming from a background, where you got used to behave like no ones life/property/etc. counts (which might be the case in war torn states, where everyone just ends up to look for himself), are two different things! And even those, who are brutalized, usually change coming into better circumstances. Comitting crimes is not normal behaviour for a real refugees.

Original post by MJlover
These refugees didn't do such crime in their 'dumps' (your words), back home.

How do you want to know that?
Reply 44
Original post by Nathanielle
It doesn't. PTSD and coming from a background, where you got used to behave like no ones life/property/etc. counts (which might be the case in war torn states, where everyone just ends up to look for himself), are two different things! And even those, who are brutalized, usually change coming into better circumstances. Comitting crimes is not normal behaviour for a real refugees.

How do you want to know that?

are you saying there was mass crime under Assad's dictatorship before the war?

There is a link between witnessing and being present in war and crime http://www.apadivisions.org/division-19/publications/newsletters/military/2014/04/ptsd.aspx
Original post by MJlover

There is a link between witnessing and being present in war and crime http://www.apadivisions.org/division-19/publications/newsletters/military/2014/04/ptsd.aspx

No? But that doesn't mean, there was no crime and everyone was acting holy before the war.

The link states "acting out aggressively", that does not mean go out somewhere with the plan to commit a crime (as happened in the cases, you are referring to), but to e.g. getting faster in fights, etc. NOT raping, pick-pocketing, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover

there isn't mass crime now either. there is crime, but that's expected when you take x million people from anywhere. the only reason you hear about it on the news is because they happen to be refugees. if donald across the road raped an old lady you wouldn't hear about it; if mohammed from syria did it'll be everywhere.

and btw most of these refugees are NOT syrian. last summer i went with a few friends to shoot a documentary in calais (they are film makers, and i speak arabic so they wanted me to translate sh;t). the documentary was aimed at syrian refugees, and we stayed in calais for 3 days. out of all of the refugees we spoke to, we did not meet a single syrian. most of them were afghan, eritrean or sudani, and some kurds.
Reply 47
Original post by MC_booSack
there isn't mass crime now either. there is crime, but that's expected when you take x million people from anywhere. the only reason you hear about it on the news is because they happen to be refugees. if donald across the road raped an old lady you wouldn't hear about it; if mohammed from syria did it'll be everywhere.

and btw most of these refugees are NOT syrian. last summer i went with a few friends to shoot a documentary in calais (they are film makers, and i speak arabic so they wanted me to translate sh;t). the documentary was aimed at syrian refugees, and we stayed in calais for 3 days. out of all of the refugees we spoke to, we did not meet a single syrian. most of them were afghan, eritrean or sudani, and some kurds.

most refugees who seek asylum in the EU as a whole are Syrian.
Original post by MJlover
To be a university teaching intern you should be studying a PhD, and her degree area would reflect in her research, obviously. So I don't really have a problem with her credentials.

You can gain insight on mental health and refugees in Europe easily, if you care...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mental+health+survey+amongst+syrian+refugees

Her grades were? Where from? What subject? Did she do a master beforehand? Any work experience in this particular part of clinical psychology?

This could go on, by the way Psychology is also my subject hence why I know the claim to be ludicrous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Nathanielle
No? But that doesn't mean, there was no crime and everyone was acting holy before the war.

The link states "acting out aggressively", that does not mean go out somewhere with the plan to commit a crime (as happened in the cases, you are referring to), but to e.g. getting faster in fights, etc. NOT raping, pick-pocketing, etc.

I said violent outbursts in my OP actually.
Reply 50
Original post by paul514
Her grades were? Where from? What subject? Did she do a master beforehand? Any work experience in this particular part of clinical psychology?

This could go on, by the way Psychology is also my subject hence why I know the claim to be ludicrous

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually googled her and found her on LinkedIn, she has a masters in educational psychology from Columbia, an Ivy League uni....
Original post by MJlover
most refugees who seek asylum in the EU as a whole are Syrian.
i think that's just what you want to believe but w/e
Reply 52
i think that's just what you want to believe but w/e

no I got that number from BBC - eurostat, ok
Original post by MJlover

Ok the link you provided clearly said 1.4 million migrants had applied for asylum.

Just over 350k of those are Syrians or people pretending to be Syrian.

It clearly shows that on the bbc link

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover
I actually googled her and found her on LinkedIn, she has a masters in educational psychology from Columbia, an Ivy League uni....

Whoopy do I'll go publish some crap and cite articles still not linked then lol.

Link it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover
and how are BBC supposed to know who is syrian and who isn't?

100% of the arab refugees i spoke to in calais said they were syrian on paper, when they were actually from countries like libya and kuwait.
Reply 56
Original post by paul514
Ok the link you provided clearly said 1.4 million migrants had applied for asylum.

Just over 350k of those are Syrians or people pretending to be Syrian.

It clearly shows that on the bbc link

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretending to be Syrian, that is your own (untrue) idea

100% of the arab refugees i spoke to in calais said they were syrian on paper, when they were actually from countries like libya and kuwait.

The bbc is citing Eurostat but he is still saying the wrong figures from his link

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58

they gathered evidence from eurostat, an official body for the EU

also why would Kuwaitis flee from their country, when it is wealthy and peaceful?

I don't believe you...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover
pretending to be Syrian, that is your own (untrue) idea

It's a well known fact that there is a huge market for fake Syrian documents.

How naive are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending