The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Probably just going to watch videos of Watson appealing for dismissals tbh.

That'll last you until the next T20 World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
I think Australia will easily overcome Pakistan, in truth.

Younis was damning in his assessment of them post-NZ and, with confidence so low, I can't see them recovering to beat the Aussies.
Both of tomorrow's games are important. Let's hope they are exciting games with good cricket!
Original post by Mackay
I think Australia will easily overcome Pakistan, in truth.

Younis was damning in his assessment of them post-NZ and, with confidence so low, I can't see them recovering to beat the Aussies.

Obviously I hope you're wrong but it's pretty obvious and expected. It'll be a shame if none of the sub-continent teams make it through to the Semis but, the way they are playing, I don't think they deserve to go through or even lift the trophy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 584
No surprises Finch comes back in for Australia, and they'll be relieved to see Smith getting a decent knock finally.
Reply 585
khudafis brothers pakistan are out

perform istaghfar, pakistan team must have done some haraam things to deserve that
Reply 586
Pakistan going well but I think 194 is more than enough for Australia. Remember that the Kiwis got 180 against Pakistan at this ground and it was plenty.
Shahid Afridi has, most likely, played his last innings for Pakistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pakistan well and truly out. Bowling let them down big time. 15 extras too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saw that coming a mile off.
If only we had Misbah.
Gayle with two wickets! Unbelievable by the West Indies. SA on a losing cause here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad pak lost, they wouldn't be able to beat india anyway
Reply 592
Pakistan deserve to be go home - and that probably marks Afridi's final innings.

The state of their death bowling is dreadful. The last ball of the penultimate over from Riaz summed up the state of it. Their fielding was also dreadful.

They misfielded time and time again, fumbling easy and straight forward balls, taking too long to pick up the ball. Australia ran a four at one stage, for God's sake. It's just not good enough. This Pakistan team seem to be on their last legs.

I can't wait for the Australia vs India match now. It promises to be a cracker. I think Australia still have concerns - Coulter-Nile being the obvious one, but their batting order looked much better and much more fluid today. Bringing in Finch was a huge part of that, and allowing Watson to express himself along with Smith down the order was something they've needed to do for a while now.

I thought Pakistan - and many other teams in this tournament - could learn from the way Smith was content to play singles and run doubles. He wasn't looking to hit it out of the park, and if he was, he didn't become frustrated at not being able to do so. He simply picked up the runs where they came, at a good rate.

Watson was great, too. What a cameo from him on the day after announcing retirement. From 2008 to 2011, there was probably no better player of white-ball cricket anywhere.

Zampa continues to impress me - not just because of his bowling ability, either. He seems to have maturity and cricket intelligence beyond his years. That said, he's so inexperienced. India will see him as a vulnerable cog in the Australian attack, and they may feed upon that come Sunday.

On a positive note for Pakistan: Amir shone again. His dual with Khawaja was brilliant viewing for the neutral. He has 12 wickets in four matches against Australia now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 593
By the way, all of Australia's top three T20 totals have come against Pakistan. Why am I not surprised?

Again, though, the stats underline Pakistan's poor death bowling: Australia scored 66 in the final five overs, compared to Pakistan's 47. After 15, Australia and Pakistan were 127-4 and 125-4 respectively. It was neck and neck.
Original post by SAhm95
I'm glad pak lost, they wouldn't be able to beat india anyway

Because Bangladesh are through to the Semis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Because Bangladesh are through to the Semis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Australia are capable of beating india, which would stop them (ind) from making it to the semi finals. Pakistan on the other hand would lose easily and india would get to the semis lol.
Original post by SAhm95
Australia are capable of beating india, which would stop them (ind) from making it to the semi finals. Pakistan on the other hand would lose easily and india would get to the semis lol.

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
The Windies victory makes England's job straightforward: beat SL and advance, or lose and depart.

How good was the Windies' match with SA? Aside from India vs Bangladesh and England vs SA this year, that's probably the most I've enjoyed any game of white-ball cricket in years.

Gayle's celebrations were great, but they made the chase harder than I anticipated. Phangiso, Wiese and Tahir all did their best to peg back the Windies batsmen. In many ways, it was a battle of the ball rather than tonight tonight. I thought Tahir, in particular, was excellent. He only conceded 13 runs in 4 overs.

SA's running between the wickets needs to be better - Amla didn't commit and paid the price. What a catch from Benn to dismiss du Plessis, though. Remarkable athleticism. He's such a tall bloke.

Rossouw got out to a real ugly strike, and if ABDV can't rise to the occasion on days like this, you have to wonder whether he deserves that title of best white-ball batsman in the world.

Without the de Kock/Wiese partnership, SA would have been totally embarrassed I feel.
Pakistan fully deserving to be going home. Only positives have been Sharjeel and Amir, but even his form tailed off after the opening game. Not hating on Afridi as much as the country might be - he made errors in his captaincy, but he has had the same issues as captain in the shorter formats, namely players who are not good enough or can adapt to conditions. Plus the decade old questions of structure domestically. So called talents failing again (Shehzad, Akmal the two culprits) and senior players not stepping up to support the captain an example being Malik, who as one Pakistani news station reported post-match, turned down the chance to come in at 3. They are collectively so far behind the top teams in the shorter formats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
Pakistan fully deserving to be going home. Only positives have been Sharjeel and Amir, but even his form tailed off after the opening game. Not hating on Afridi as much as the country might be - he made errors in his captaincy, but he has had the same issues as captain in the shorter formats, namely players who are not good enough or can adapt to conditions. Plus the decade old questions of structure domestically. So called talents failing again (Shehzad, Akmal the two culprits) and senior players not stepping up to support the captain an example being Malik, who as one Pakistani news station reported post-match, turned down the chance to come in at 3. They are collectively so far behind the top teams in the shorter formats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite depressing tbh, the state of Pakistani Cricket. I actually feel sorry for Afridi, he tried his best with a team who didn't listen/weren't good enough. Don't really know what to expect of them in the future, how they perform against England during the summer will be key in their future. Misbah and Younis in the summer though which can only be a good thing.

Edit: Amir against England in these conditions though. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest