The Student Room Group

What subjects are all you picking for A-level and why? :)

Scroll to see replies

I'm first year A level, I'm choosing Maths, History, Government and Politics and History. All AQA exam board.
At first, I decided to choose History and Maths because on PPE Oxford website, these 2 subjects are recommended so I choose it.
I choose Chemistry because I did pretty good in my secondary school so I thought I can easily get A in Chemistry (I was afraid I could't get 3As in my A level but now I can get 4As)
And Government and Politics is my genuine interest. It is very interesting if you can catch up with what is going on in the news as you study it in the class. You even can see which politicians just make noise to attract attention from media, which are wimp. I'm so more open- minded with other races and opinions and become much more mature.
I regret 1 thing- I DIDN'T TAKE PHILOSOPHY. If your future college offer AQA exam board, in 1st year I'll study religion philosophy, God exist/not exists... and 2nd year you'll study about moral philosophy. I recommend you watch programme Justice from Michael Sandel Harvard Uni to know more about this.
Yeah, and my ambition is PPE (politics, economics, philosophy) Oxford. I'll apply this year. Hopefully I'll get 4As in this AS exam. Finger crossed :biggrin:
Original post by CJKAllstar
Government and Politics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
Economics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
History: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
Maths: Wanna do PPE at Oxford

Lol not *really*, I have a huge interest in politics, econ and political history, so the first three are all perf. Maths is complementary to econ, and needed for most politics & econ courses. PPE is my ideal though <3

Did you choose college yet? Are you going to apply this year Sept 2016?
Original post by uniklimbu10
I am doing my GCSE exams in less than 2 months (Good luck to anyone who is doing their as well) and I am planning to pick Further maths (I love maths), Physics (<3) and maybe Chemistry as my fifth because in my school Further maths count as 3 A levels (Further maths, Normal maths and Statistics). I was wondering what you guys are planning and why? :biggrin:

Im in my AS year and I do the same thing as you though my school only counts Maths and further maths as two A levels. Havent written an essay in months and A levels are far easier than I thought they'd be :3
Biology, Maths, Latin and Chemistry.

I just love all four of these subjects.
Reply 24
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.
Maths and further maths because I'm good at maths and I love doing maths. Physics because it's the study of the universe, and to me is an extremely fascinating subject. Chemistry, because it's basically and large field in physics, or physics' back up dancer :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kennethdcharles
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.
Maths and further maths because I'm food at maths and I love doing maths. Physics because it's the study of the universe, and to me is an extremely fascinating subject. Chemistry, because it's basically and large field in physics, or physics' back up dancer :biggrin:

More like chemistry is the lead and physics is its groupie :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
I'm sure I'll enjoy it next year

okay :h:
Reply 27
Original post by ScienceFantatic
More like chemistry is the lead and physics is its groupie :smile:

Naah, there is chemistry in physics, like particle and atomic physics, you don't see physics in chemistry,which is why scientists agree that physics is the lead :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Naah, there is chemistry in physics, like particle and atomic physics, you don't see physics in chemistry,which is why scientists agree that physics is the lead :smile:

Reply 29
Original post by Mathstatician

That's fair :biggrin: though I would put physicists a little closer to mathematicians as they do a lot of maths as part of their jobs.
I'm planning to do history, psychology, business and english language.

I chose these because they link well and they'll help me in all of my job preferences and I'm terrible at everything else so YOLO
Reply 31
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

I'm insane.

Indeed you are.
Reply 32
Original post by HeimIX
Indeed you are.

Physics
Maths
Economics
(Not sure what i want to do for the fourth, maybe Computing)

I chose these because I'm good at Maths and Physics.

With Economics I chose that, as it will help me be what I want to be in the future which is a Stock Broker/Inv Banker.

These two jobs will help me reach my life goal which is to get rich, and die alone.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

Because other subjects bore the hell out of me...

I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest? How much Maths is involved in the Sciences? Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?
English Lit- I LOVE English and reading and analysing texts.

History- My other fav subject, I just love learning about the past and how it has impacted on the present.

Politics- Interested to advance my understanding how the country is controlled, how the system works etc.

Psychology- At the college I'm going to you need to pick four (unfortunately). This is my gap one and but I'm curious to understand how the mind works I guess..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Tinka99
I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest?

It's hard, but doable if you start preparing early and revising effectively (e.g. by doing lots and lots of questions on a daily basis).

How much Maths is involved in the Sciences?

Not much Maths involved really (only basic Maths for Biology and Chem, but with Physics you'll learn a little from AS Maths)

Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?

Maths is not a requirement for the other sciences. That generally depends on the person. You can have a social life if you start planning and being organised.
Original post by Tinka99
I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest? How much Maths is involved in the Sciences? Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?

Thinks, I have no idea because I am also in year 11
Reply 37
I'm in year 10 currently:u:

but i'm interested in communication & culture, french, psychology, ict, philosophy, sociology and english lang
Im doing..... im hoping to get into medicine

Further maths
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Chemistry
Physics

These are my strongest subjects and I'm Chinese (sorry but I had to say that :biggrin: - and I am actually Chinese)

Geography because I enjoy it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest