The Student Room Group

Article: Getting a job at 16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studyspuddie
Yes but supermarkets such as asda and tesco dont offer jobs for 16years olds do they

Seriously mate, where are you getting your information from? Yes, they do. Most shops and supermarkets take on people who are still in school for part time jobs. I am 16 and work in a shop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssammorgan
Seriously mate, where are you getting your information from? Yes, they do. Most shops and supermarkets take on people who are still in school for part time jobs. I am 16 and work in a shop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm getting my information from the source my twin sister had tried to get jobs at supermarkets ad they don't take anyone under 18 as they don't have insurance as the whole company needs to get insurance so every branch of the business needs insurance to employ anyone under 18
I'm getting my information from the source my twin sister had tried to get jobs at supermarkets ad they don't take anyone under 18 as they don't have insurance as the whole company needs to get insurance so every branch of the business needs insurance to employ anyone under 18

Well try applying at other places but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fast food places, cafes and restaurants would also be willing to take you on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long should a personal statement be? Mine's about 100 words, is that enough?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
How long should a personal statement be? Mine's about 100 words, is that enough?

That is unrelated to this thread. You can probably find a thread dedicated to writing a personal statement. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be about 4000 words though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is unrelated to this thread. You can probably find a thread dedicated to writing a personal statement. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be about 4000 words though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? For a first, part-time job that seems like quite a lot.
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Really? For a first, part-time job that seems like quite a lot.

Wait, what do you mean by a personal statement? A personal statement is usually the document you submit with your university application. If you just mean like a person bio, you don't even need one at all, but yeah, 100 words is fine.
Hi, I was wondering if I should I should start looking for a job now before I start my GCSEs or after, at the beginning of summer? And do you know any good websites that show some vacant jobs for 16-year-olds?
Original post by Nocluewhatsoever
Hi, I was wondering if I should I should start looking for a job now before I start my GCSEs or after, at the beginning of summer? And do you know any good websites that show some vacant jobs for 16-year-olds?

After is best! Indeed.co.uk
Thank you so much!!! :smile:
After is best! Indeed.co.uk
Original post by PeytonWilliams
I've been looking for a job for so long. I'm only 16 but I don't have any GCSE results due to not being able to go to school for personal reasons. This means I have no qualifications. I've applied for many jobs in little shops around my town but they all say the same thing 'you need experience' but how can I get experience without getting a job in the first place. I've even tried to do voluntary work in local charity shops but nothing was successful. Anybody have any ideas of what sort of places would take on a 16 year old with no experience?

Most retail stores offer training within the job role. I highly reccomend Indeed.com and they post every single day and you get emails of new jobs that have just been posted. Just sign yourself up and browse different jobs to whatever suits you :smile:
I 'm 16 and work at Sainsbury's part time alongside studying at sixth form! I got this job 6 months ago so at the beginning of November when i started sixth form, I didn't have to hand my CV in so they have no idea what qualifications I have and many retail shops (atleast from the town i'm from) accept so many people my age with no prior experience. Also try hair salons etc even as sweeping hair/ making teas and that for customers! Hope I helped
It's really annoying, i've been looking for a job for the best part of 4-5 months giving in my CV to various places and haven't even heard back from any of them, it's annoying because come June 16th my parents will be cutting me off money completely so I'll need to provide for myself soon enough...life is tough
Original post by TwoFosters
It's really annoying, i've been looking for a job for the best part of 4-5 months giving in my CV to various places and haven't even heard back from any of them, it's annoying because come June 16th my parents will be cutting me off money completely so I'll need to provide for myself soon enough...life is tough

Don't hand CV's in, especially in shops, things like that get lost. Apply for jobs online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
but if you want an after school job i is as i finish school at 3:10 and most places finish at 5:00 so there aren't many places that will take on someone still at school

Completely Incorrect. Call centre, restaurants, takeaways and supermarkets operate a late finish. I used to work in all 3 and sometimes didn't finish until 12am!

My parents used to own a takeaway (we are Chinese), and we took on a 16 year old to work straight away without any experience.

Do some research and ask around before making these claims (or excuses)!
Original post by Boreism
Completely Incorrect. Call centre, restaurants, takeaways and supermarkets operate a late finish. I used to work in all 3 and sometimes didn't finish until 12am!

My parents used to own a takeaway (we are Chinese), and we took on a 16 year old to work straight away without any experience.

Do some research and ask around before making these claims (or excuses)!

I completely agree with this
Don't hand CV's in, especially in shops, things like that get lost. Apply for jobs online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most jobs are an online applications only process anyway. Especially (in particular) retail jobs.
Original post by Fleuryette
I'm 17 now and I've been looking for a job for nearly two years. Two.. years. T-t- TWOOOO. I try and use online help but I never copy and paste templates, and I always change my cover letter to appear more suitable for that particular job. Then I have friends "Oh, I applied once and got the job straight away.. YAY ME!". I've probably sent over 50 applications. What am I doing wrong?

Click on this link
www.studentjobs.co.uk

I registered with student jobs about 4 days ago and sent my cv to a couple of catering companies on it and received an interview invite for a catering job only after 2 days

Also go to all the agencies on the high street. They can get you jobs quicker
Go to Reed on the high street And register online with Reed, CV Library, Indeed, Monster
Apply for Trainee Recruitment Consultant jobs

Go to all the Cinema's and ask if there are any vacancies and apply online
Catering, Carer jobs are sometimes easy to get

All Mcdonalds, Burger King, Kentucky fried chicken shops always looking for staff

And Aldi pay the best at £8 40 + an hour. You can hand your cv in to the shop, their always looking for new staff

Lidl too

Ring the jobcentre to find out about regular job fairs and go to your local council to ask about that too because sometimes the council send myself and other people leaflets about job fairs. Also ask the council if they have their own job agency that helps people to find work because the council in my area have and got me a job in mcdonalds years ago

And your not doing anything wrong it's just luck that other people get jobs quicker than you do but most people cant be bothered to sign up with agencies on the high street but that's the easiest way to get a job. It's not always easy to do it yourself online and again it's just luck if anyone who does succeed with online applications gets the job
Ask your friends/family if they can get you a job where they work
Reply 59
Original post by TheSmartScouser
A good one for UK college students is Sports Direct but they can be a pain sometimes.

Unfortunately for me the closest sports direct is quiet far away, which is a shame considering I know there is a job opening :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest