The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone doing Foundation year with Science or Engineering @ Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lawbringer
I've kind of always been someone to tinker with stuff, opening my xbox, fixing controls and all that. I also really wanted to be more in touch with the maths world and physics, so engineering seemed great. I don't know if ill stick to being a engineer all my life, maybe a teacher or something I enjoy!

What about yourself?

Engineering sounds great for you then!! I've always been similar, liked fixing stuff and I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do so engineering seemed a good general degree to start with.

Accommodation opens tomorrow! Have you made your decision ready to apply?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by safia11
Engineering sounds great for you then!! I've always been similar, liked fixing stuff and I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do so engineering seemed a good general degree to start with.

Accommodation opens tomorrow! Have you made your decision ready to apply?

Yep but I've chosen broadgate park, gonna share a room with my friend! What about you?
Reply 22
Yep but I've chosen broadgate park, gonna share a room with my friend! What about you?

That's good it'll be nice to have a familiar face around :smile: I think I'm going for university park
Original post by safia11
That's good it'll be nice to have a familiar face around :smile: I think I'm going for university park

Honestly, I got no idea, I am still thinking that I may change just depends tomorrow, either way it's 100% uni park or broadgate! Good luck applying tomorrow, be sure to be early :P
Reply 24
Honestly, I got no idea, I am still thinking that I may change just depends tomorrow, either way it's 100% uni park or broadgate! Good luck applying tomorrow, be sure to be early :P

I'm sure it'll all become clear tomorrow haha. Thanks and good luck to you too! :smile:
I applied for this and got my offer of ABC/BBB but I totally regret not applying for the actual engineering course because I've been hearing that a lot of people have been getting unconditionals :frown: I'm hoping I can transfer if I do actually achieve AAA/AAB and not have to do the foundation year
Original post by Chellecharity
I applied for this and got my offer of ABC/BBB but I totally regret not applying for the actual engineering course because I've been hearing that a lot of people have been getting unconditionals :frown: I'm hoping I can transfer if I do actually achieve AAA/AAB and not have to do the foundation year

Do you do maths? I don't so i won't even be able to handle it even if i did transfer to 1st year lol but yeah maybe ask them. Good luck either way
Do you do maths? I don't so i won't even be able to handle it even if i did transfer to 1st year lol but yeah maybe ask them. Good luck either way

Yeah I do maths and further maths but thanks :smile:
Reply 28
I have also got an offer for foundation year (physics), ABC or BBB. Anyone else going to the offer holder day on the 6th of April?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EG16
I have also got an offer for foundation year (physics), ABC or BBB. Anyone else going to the offer holder day on the 6th of April?

I booked a day something like 21st this month to go specifically for the foundation year. You should check it out on your MyNottingham account.
Was the engineering open day good? the event was fully booked and i can not attend on the 23rd ? thanks !
Original post by EG16

I'm going but I might have to reschedule. Will there be any after the 6th?
Reply 32
Yeah, remember foundation years tend to attract older students anyway, like mature students so there will be people older than us for sure! There will also be many international students, but I heard they really don't interact too much lol.

I am doing:

Biology

Spoiler

Psychology

Spoiler

Chemistry

Spoiler

It's not gonna be an easy next few months for each of us lol! I am kind of hoping Nottingham are gonna be slightly lenient anyway, but I am still gonna work hard. Starting tomorrow ;P.

I'm currently doing the foundation course in Nottingham and even if I don't talk to ALL my course mates, trust me, we all interact well. I mean we are all international students so it's natural for everyone to click and be friendly! :smile:
Original post by Amie_U
I'm currently doing the foundation course in Nottingham and even if I don't talk to ALL my course mates, trust me, we all interact well. I mean we are all international students so it's natural for everyone to click and be friendly! :smile:

Great! maybe you can help out some people if they have questions?
Reply 34
Great! maybe you can help out some people if they have questions?

Sure! I'd love to, do you have any?
Original post by Amie_U
Sure! I'd love to, do you have any?

Hmmm, What are you progressing to?
How many people are in your class? How many Home/International? Boys/Girls?
What is your home country? If not too personal.
Do you know anyone transferring to 1 year another good uni?

I may actually end up going Birmingham Uni because their foundation year is similar and it's closer to home, so I can bus it and save like 7k a year.
Reply 36
Hmmm, What are you progressing to?
How many people are in your class? How many Home/International? Boys/Girls?
What is your home country? If not too personal.
Do you know anyone transferring to 1 year another good uni?

I may actually end up going Birmingham Uni because their foundation year is similar and it's closer to home, so I can bus it and save like 7k a year.

hahaha I'm hopefully progressing to Law
Well for this year, there's my foundation certificate in arts and social sciences and another foundation certificate in sciences; and another in engineering(or they are combined, I honestly have no idea) so tbh, I do not know anything about the sciences/engineering foundation course because they study in another campus which I hardly ever go to(Big uni) but in my class, we're about 50+ students
We're all international students in my foundation certificate and as usual, there are more girls than boys; about 34+ girls and the rest boys
I'm from Nigeria,
some of my friends are interested in manchester uni, one has an offer from Birmingham and another received an offer from bristol (notts is still their first choice) but I'd say 87% of us want to continue here if the LNAT result is all good :smile:

Birmingham Uni is also pretty good for Law and the city is interesting and fun so that's also a good choice. All in all, I'm really enjoying/appreciating the foundation :smile: hope I helped and good luck!

best wishes
Original post by Amie_U
hahaha I'm hopefully progressing to Law
Well for this year, there's my foundation certificate in arts and social sciences and another foundation certificate in sciences; and another in engineering(or they are combined, I honestly have no idea) so tbh, I do not know anything about the sciences/engineering foundation course because they study in another campus which I hardly ever go to(Big uni) but in my class, we're about 50+ students
We're all international students in my foundation certificate and as usual, there are more girls than boys; about 34+ girls and the rest boys
I'm from Nigeria,
some of my friends are interested in manchester uni, one has an offer from Birmingham and another received an offer from bristol (notts is still their first choice) but I'd say 87% of us want to continue here if the LNAT result is all good :smile:

Birmingham Uni is also pretty good for Law and the city is interesting and fun so that's also a good choice. All in all, I'm really enjoying/appreciating the foundation :smile: hope I helped and good luck!

best wishes

Thanks for the answers!
Most people I know are going for the science/engineering.But I appericate the answer for the insight!
BTW just wanted to ask what do you plan to do after? I know many students get like funded to come and study and get a job back at the company at home that funds them! So lucky!
Reply 38
Thanks for the answers!
Most people I know are going for the science/engineering.But I appericate the answer for the insight!
BTW just wanted to ask what do you plan to do after? I know many students get like funded to come and study and get a job back at the company at home that funds them! So lucky!

yeah some people do that but after I'm done with my undergrad, I'd like to do my masters and then start working. I want to work for a while in my dad's firm(back in Nigeria) before I become independent and hopefully start my own firm:smile:

you're welcome
Original post by Amie_U
yeah some people do that but after I'm done with my undergrad, I'd like to do my masters and then start working. I want to work for a while in my dad's firm(back in Nigeria) before I become independent and hopefully start my own firm:smile:

you're welcome

I wish the best of luck to you my friend!

Quick Reply

Latest