The Student Room Group

How are your a-levels going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Cato the Elder
I'm actually finding it easier than GCSEs...

Hah, so am I! :smile:

Original post by aimsnaywux
Also does anybody have revision tips they'd like to share?

The best way is to write long notes for each topic after every lesson. And then read over those notes.
Also, I have those CGP revisions books for Chemistry and Biology which actually have useful information that you may not get in the textbooks!
Reply 61
Finding them really difficult atm :frown: , i'm doing Biology, chemistry and geography A2 and resitting 2 AS chemistry units and 2 AS biology units :s-smilie:

AS exams results were a big shock!!! I got BCD in the subjects I am currently studying which is not great seeing as I need ABB. I was doing ok during the year getting A-B in most tests and then did really bad in the real exams

My top tip for exams: learn what the examiner wants!! Most of the mark schemes (at least the subjects I do) are very repetitive and picky so learn the exact terminology they want!

Hopefully if I follow my own advice and do every past paper I can get the grades I need :redface:

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Honestly, I have no idea. Content wise, nothing is particularly difficult apart from some aspects of French (I do bio, chem and french) and I'm enjoying the subjects. However in terms of workload I feel like I'm forever struggling to keep up at the moment and I don't feel like I'm improving in anything either :biggrin: I need BBB to get into my firm uni and at the moment I'm starting to think I won't even manage that...oh dear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Alright tbh, not so much the work or work load that's stressing me out so much as the fact that I need to get all A's for the degree I want to do.. :/
Reply 64
For chemistry I love my teachers, hate the course. Too much to memorize and there's like a 90% chance if you take a 50/50 guess you'll get it wrong. I'm planning on reenacting the office space printer scene with chemistry note books.
Pretty much a trainwreck. My mock results were a mixed bag and I know I need to do a lot more work to guarantee all As at the end of the year.
Maths is going great at my school, we recently finished Core 4 and Stats 1B, and finished Core 3 before Christmas. This gives us plenty of time to revise for the exams in June :biggrin:

I also take Further Maths AS in addition to Maths A2, and this is almost finished. Decision 1 and Further Pure 1 were completed in January, and I just have to finish the last bit of Decision 2 during the Easter holiday.

However in ICT most of the class is really far behind. I take OCR ICT, and I got my coursework in early before December, whilst everyone else is nowhere near finishing theirs on time. This makes it quite hard to learn theory when the teachers need to help students in class with coursework, so I have been learning most of the theory at home. I don't find it too difficult, I just have to make sure all of it fits into my brain before the exams :tongue:

Finally OCR Computing is going OK, although we are signed up for an online course for Computing at our school. I really don't like the online course, so I have been learning it at home and completing past papers, which I find is easier as the examiners expect very particular answers to some of the questions which are repeated most years.
AS-Levels are fun so far. Straight-As across the board in our last two sets of mocks (except M2, but I wasn't well during the exam). Hoping for As again in mocks after Easter and to push S2 from 80% to 90%. Lately I've been too busy with school programming projects to do any revision (and I didn't even take computer science, figures) but I'm going to do a heck of a lot during Easter.
A lot better than my mocks. I'm turning my D grades into C/B/A grades and I'm on course for all As and D*D* in Media if I take the extended course alongside my one A Level equivalency. It's all about time management and revision and really making the effort.
Well A levels isn't going so well on my part...but that's partly my fault coz my studying habits are still kind of Gcse. Just had mocks and thing are quite shaky. but on a lighter note, I'm enjoying my English and economics classes they're quite fun. And I've just had an attitude adjustment for Maths so I hope things will get better in that area. So as hard as it may be right now, I love the lessons I'm getting from A levels
Reply 70
I'm doing badly in AS Economics. Averaging a C across the year, while my predicted/aspirational grades are As. Finding it particularly hard to apply the theory to the questions and get the marks that the mark scheme wants.
Physics is similar; I struggle with applying the theory, but somehow I've been averaging As in my unit tests and mocks.

Maths and Further Maths are a breeze for me (thank god). As and High Bs throughout the year; I just need to practise more past papers so that I'm more efficient with time.
Original post by Haamoo7
I'm doing badly in AS Economics. Averaging a C across the year, while my predicted/aspirational grades are As. Finding it particularly hard to apply the theory to the questions and get the marks that the mark scheme wants.
Physics is similar; I struggle with applying the theory, but somehow I've been averaging As in my unit tests and mocks.

Maths and Further Maths are a breeze for me (thank god). As and High Bs throughout the year; I just need to practise more past papers so that I'm more efficient with time.

I know what you mean...Our teacher keeps telling us to spend like 5 minutes to interprete the question. then answering technique plus depth in content. its a lot of work! But I'm sure with a lot of reading and practice you'll get it. :-)
Reply 72
I'm doing really bad 😞 I got UUD in my mocks and I need AAA in August; I am doing as levels, in biology, chemistry and ict, respectively got UUD😭😭 does anyone have any revision tips for me? Other than past papers 😞
Reply 73
I'm actually finding it easier than GCSEs...

That is a lie. I'm sorry.
Original post by Student403
Pretty well thanks :biggrin: Finding German quite hard especially after my mocks, but I guess challenge is part of the package.

I'm worried about the German speaking😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be off to B&Q with my family come results day... To buy a rope... To hang myself. :smile:
Original post by SGHD26716
That is a lie. I'm sorry.

Exam technique is tricky...that's all.
Reply 77
Exam technique is tricky...that's all.

You must have done something horribly wrong at GCSE to find them harder than A level
Original post by SGHD26716
You must have done something horribly wrong at GCSE to find them harder than A level

Lol, I got 3 A*s and 3As...
Reply 79
Lol, I got 3 A*s and 3As...

Fair enough. What are you doing at A level

Quick Reply

Latest