The Student Room Group

Are London unis worth it

Is it worth going to UCL/LSE over Bristol/Durham due to having a slightly better reputation (and being closer to the larger firms), despite the more expensive living/housing costs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oli19919
Is it worth going to UCL/LSE over Bristol/Durham due to having a slightly better reputation (and being closer to the larger firms), despite the more expensive living/housing costs?

Being closer to the firms won't matter a whole lot. You'll got to two or three open days and perhaps have a vac over the summer at a law firm. You won't lose access to law firms due to being in Durham or Bristol. Though LSE does have an amazing reputation and that matters a whole lot, but Bristol and Durham are most certainly no slouches when it comes to their academic reputation.
Original post by oli19919

Nope. We have the internet now where law firms do the majority of their recruiting. Plus, all the top law firms visit both Durham and Bristol regularly throughout the year as is.

The nexus between these two groups of universities is tiny and going to one or the other would neither hinder nor significantly increase your chances of landing a training contract/pupillage.

Basically, if money is a consideration/a deal breaker, I wouldn't stress myself over choosing a London uni. In fact that's exactly what I've done: reject UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Nope. We have the internet now where law firms do the majority of their recruiting. Plus, all the top law firms visit both Durham and Bristol regularly throughout the year as is.

The nexus between these two groups of universities is tiny and going to one or the other would neither hinder nor significantly increase your chances of landing a training contract/pupillage.

Basically, if money is a consideration/a deal breaker, I wouldn't stress myself over choosing a London uni. In fact that's exactly what I've done: reject UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have not rejected UCL for law. Do not be trite in your advice here.
Original post by LLB with a big D
You have not rejected UCL for law. Do not be trite in your advice here.

No, I've rejected UCL. Whether it's for law or not is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I've rejected UCL. Whether it's for law or not is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You rejected UCL for a beta course. Their LLB course is alpha.

It's not a reasonable comparison.
You rejected UCL for a beta course. Their LLB course is alpha.

It's not a reasonable comparison.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh you got him there.
Yes, a course combining mathematics and computer science is 'beta'. Sure. Look buddy, I can become a lawyer as much as anyone who studied Law, the course isn't anything special.

Your username alone is befitting of the way you come across: severely overcompensating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sound butthurt.
Yes, a course combining mathematics and computer science is 'beta'. Sure. Look buddy, I can become a lawyer as much as anyone who studied Law, the course isn't anything special.

Your username alone is befitting of the way you come across: severely overcompensating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is beta. Being sarcastic about it won't change anything. The LLB is highly competitive. Your course has about 3 people applying for it.

The way I come across? I gave helpful knowledgeable advice. You gave some advice whilst bragging about turning down UCL, as if it were at all relevant. You're the person here who wants his little tight ass kissed, not me. Looking at your academic results, I can see why you need a little pat on the head, but don't project and bring this to my door.

Original post by Bobjim12
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh you got him there.

If I wanted your advice, I would have beaten it out of you. Have fun at KCL, dipshit.
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't have it fam, he said your course is beta
Fight fight fight fight
It is beta. Being sarcastic about it won't change anything. The LLB is highly competitive. Your course has about 3 people applying for it.

The way I come across? I gave helpful knowledgeable advice. You gave some advice whilst bragging about turning down UCL, as if it were at all relevant. You're the person here who wants his little tight ass kissed, not me. Looking at your academic results, I can see why you need a little pat on the head, but don't project and bring this to my door.

Mocked it. Don't have it @Princepieman he mocked you g
Original post by princepieman
if you read the sentence before that, you'd have sussed that i was speaking about turning down a london uni due to financial considerations.

why are there so many douchewads on tsr lately?

posted from tsr mobile

looooool omdz
Now you're defending it because you know I am onto something. You were being a braggy little shite and needed to be put in your place.

Did you create a new account just so you could talk **** to @Princepieman
Original post by DylanJ43
Did you create a new account just so you could talk **** to @Princepieman

No. I commented on this thread first. It had nothing to do with the Prince of Careers.
You've been using that phallus line a lot, mate. It doesn't make you look clever. It rather makes you sound insipid. You wanted me to explain why the course you rejected is irrelevant; you invited me to discuss it. If anyone is making this thread go off topic, it's you who's being unnecessarily emotional. My initial reply to you was simple, magnanimous and you contested it to save face.

And how considerable is the phallus of the man who doesn't have the cajones to quote me? Yeah, that's right.

This is the most pointless argument I've had in a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I think it's quite useful. It shows your true colours. You don't come here to help; you come to brag.

Go on, tell us all some more about how your course is superior to law and you could get into it if you wanted. I think we all wanna hear it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like you have acquired some haters my friend :wink:
Fight fight fight fight

Looks like you have acquired some haters my friend :wink:

No, you misunderstand. I am a fan, but like Mr du Pont with his Foxcatcher initiative, I just want Prince to get the gold. I want him to be better.

Quick Reply

Latest