The Student Room Group

Anyone Considering Medicine in Europe?

I am interested in studying medicine in either Czech Republic or Hungary. The unis I want to apply for are Masaryk and Debrecen. But after some research I am getting mixed responses about these two unis, some say Debrecen is the most prestigious uni in Europe while some say Charles Prague Uni is a lot better than Masaryk.

I will be 2017 medic entry and just want to know what's the best uni in Czech Republic in terms of how modern it is and the facilities they provide, and the same goes for Hungary?

I heard exams are tough, but I think medicine is in general difficult but you just got to work hard and it applies to every medic student, whether at an UK uni or elsewhere.

Any experiences? Please share.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ApplesTrees
I am interested in studying medicine in either Czech Republic or Hungary. The unis I want to apply for are Masaryk and Debrecen. But after some research I am getting mixed responses about these two unis, some say Debrecen is the most prestigious uni in Europe while some say Charles Prague Uni is a lot better than Masaryk

I will be 2017 medic entry and just want to know what's the best uni in Czech Republic in terms of how modern it is and the facilities they provide, and the same goes for Hungary?

I heard exams are tough, but I think medicine is in general difficult but you just got to work hard and it applies to every medic student, whether at an UK uni or elsewhere.

Well, I have to say that I am not a student at either of these unis, or a medical student, but I am from the region and I have a lot of friends at both Charles and Masaryk (in medical programmes).

Obviously, the general (public) reputation is better for Charles Uni. It is the oldest in Central Europe, has some good faculty and great, great location (not a big fan of Brno, personally). Although in recent years, the rankings in Czech Republic seem to indicate that Masaryk Uni is gaining an upper hand in medicine and natural sciences. They have some great new campus, labs, equipment etc. etc., whereas Charles Uni seems to capitalize a lot on its history and tradition (but the facilities are very good, too). So in short: Charles is more known (perhaps even regionally), but Masaryk seems to be more "modern" up-and-running and developing. Entrance exams are apparently pretty tough for both (mostly about Chemistry and Biology stuff).

But the good news is, my friends from both of these unis got great jobs as medical doctors in Germany (much, much, much better paid that in CE region), right after graduation. That's my two cents ;-)
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm wanting to study medicine with a foundation year because I have only recently decided to study medicine and as a result only took one science subject at A Level. Do you know if European universities offer medicine with a foundation year course/if they offer the course to English students?

Thank you :smile:
I am interested in studying medicine in either Czech Republic or Hungary. The unis I want to apply for are Masaryk and Debrecen. But after some research I am getting mixed responses about these two unis, some say Debrecen is the most prestigious uni in Europe while some say Charles Prague Uni is a lot better than Masaryk.

Er, who's said this?
Reply 4
I am exactly thinking the same thing, as I got rejected by the uk unis last week. But I want to entry this year. Have you already sent your application?
Reply 5
By the way, I saw that their are several medical faculties in Charles University which is the one that you are going to choose.
Original post by saska
Well, I have to say that I am not a student at either of these unis, or a medical student, but I am from the region and I have a lot of friends at both Charles and Masaryk (in medical programmes).

Obviously, the general (public) reputation is better for Charles Uni. It is the oldest in Central Europe, has some good faculty and great, great location (not a big fan of Brno, personally). Although in recent years, the rankings in Czech Republic seem to indicate that Masaryk Uni is gaining an upper hand in medicine and natural sciences. They have some great new campus, labs, equipment etc. etc., whereas Charles Uni seems to capitalize a lot on its history and tradition (but the facilities are very good, too). So in short: Charles is more known (perhaps even regionally), but Masaryk seems to be more "modern" up-and-running and developing. Entrance exams are apparently pretty tough for both (mostly about Chemistry and Biology stuff).

But the good news is, my friends from both of these unis got great jobs as medical doctors in Germany (much, much, much better paid that in CE region), right after graduation. That's my two cents ;-)

Thanks! I am leaning towards Masaryk University mainly because it is a lot more modern and perhaps has more facilities; I am thinking in the respect that I will be spending six years of my life and better be worth it, you know what I mean?
Original post by Americandream
I'm wanting to study medicine with a foundation year because I have only recently decided to study medicine and as a result only took one science subject at A Level. Do you know if European universities offer medicine with a foundation year course/if they offer the course to English students?

Thank you :smile:

Not many European Universities offer a foundation course, however as far as my knowledge goes, Masaryk University has launched a new programme, a foundation year, for those students who need to catch up with their sciences. Look at the link below, hope it helps!

http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1551
Not many European Universities offer a foundation course, however as far as my knowledge goes, Masaryk University has launched a new programme, a foundation year, for those students who need to catch up with their sciences. Look at the link below, hope it helps!

http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1551

Thank you!
Reply 9
What's the deadline for application to Charles, would anyone know?
On this link it says 29th February: https://is.cuni.cz/studium/eng/prijimacky/index.php?do=info_fakulta&fak=11110
On this it says some time in May: http://www.lf1.cuni.cz/en/master-studies?f=for-applicants

Would love some clarification!
Also, is no one considering Bulgaria for medicine? Or is the Czech Republic more reputable or preferable overall?
I wouldn't apply to Bulgaria if I were you, mainly because of education quality controversy going on these days mentored by some Turkish Education Department. So you wouldn't want to spend six years and find you cannot get a job in UK because of the reputation of Bulgaria.

In Europe, the prestigious universities are in Czech Republic and Hungary and yes they are more reputable.

I am going for Masaryk University, Charles First Faculty and University of Debrecen.
I wouldn't apply to Bulgaria if I were you, mainly because of education quality controversy going on these days mentored by some Turkish Education Department. So you wouldn't want to spend six years and find you cannot get a job in UK because of the reputation of Bulgaria.

In Europe, the prestigious universities are in Czech Republic and Hungary and yes they are more reputable.

I am going for Masaryk University, Charles First Faculty and University of Debrecen.

if you don't mind me asking, what subjects you have at A Level?what about the local language in Czech Republic?Thank you! Good luck!

I applied to Charles Uni for september 2017. It has a really good reputation , Idk If it is the best of Czech Republik, because as it's an old uni it's known for history.
Semmelweis Uni in Budapest is really good as well; my friend is currently studying there , and he said me that everything goes perfectly well; in term of equipments there is no prob at all (you pay the price for it ..)
And I have an other friend at Charles Uni ; he said the same thing. I think they are good uni :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I applied to Charles Uni for september 2017. It has a really good reputation , Idk If it is the best of Czech Republik, because as it's an old uni it's known for history.
Semmelweis Uni in Budapest is really good as well; my friend is currently studying there , and he said me that everything goes perfectly well; in term of equipments there is no prob at all (you pay the price for it ..)
And I have an other friend at Charles Uni ; he said the same thing. I think they are good uni :wink:

did you apply for September 2017 already?

how is the process with translation of the documents in Czech language?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the_queen
did you apply for September 2017 already?

how is the process with translation of the documents in Czech language?

I applied for september 2016 ! My mistake ^.^

There is no problme with that because they don't mind documents in english
Besides, for Charles Uni 3rd faculty of medicine there is a system who automatically translates your documents
(I applied for 1st faculty, 3rd faculty , and Brno med school)
Reply 15

Besides, for Charles Uni 3rd faculty of medicine there is a system who automatically translates your documents

When did you apply? And also do you have any idea when the deadline is?
I can find only conflicting information.
Thanks.
Original post by TW5897
When did you apply? And also do you have any idea when the deadline is?
I can find only conflicting information.
Thanks.

2 months ago and yeah I have the deadlines :
3d faculty , Charles Uni : http://www.lf3.cuni.cz/3LFEN-11.html

Brno med school : http://www.med.muni.cz/dokumenty/pdf/information_for_applicants_2016_bez_fyzio.pdf

I can't find the link for 1st faculty, when I'll find I'll keep you in touch :wink:
I'm about to start applying as well. Considering Charles Uni (Czech), Grigore T. Popa (Romania) and Plovdiv (Bulgaria).

Only just about to start so quite confused about the process. I'll probably go with medical doorway for Charles, but going to apply directly to the other 2.

thank you!

online application is enough or you have to go there for any details? still confused about documents, if there is no automatically translations, you have to go there or what?

also, should learn their language in a time frame?

is there any loan available?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the_queen
thank you!

online application is enough or you have to go there for any details? still confused about documents, if there is no automatically translations, you have to go there or what?

also, should learn their language in a time frame?

is there any loan available?

Online application is okay ! You just do your things in english, and when you download it it will be automatically in Czech, and it would be send to them automaticall. You don't need to go there except for the entrance exam (but you can choose in which country to pass , if the country is on the list)

The course is entirely in english, but you'll have to learn Czech (they'll give lessons)

I'm sorry I don't know anything about loans :/

Latest

Trending

Trending