The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i just had such a nice sea bass for dinner
Original post by thefatone
i think it's meat but others seem to think differently

Others also think that the Earth is 6K years old. It's not a matter of belief. It is a fact. It's simply not possible think differently unless you come up with evidence that shows that there is nothing between the bones and skin of most fish.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
And that definition also applies to fish, why on earth would you think they don't have muscles or fat? How do you think they move?

I believe OP might think that way if she wants to call herself vegetarian but still wants to eat fish. So she tries to consider fish non-animals so she can eat them. :rolleyes:
Im a vegetarian have been for 10-12 years.
I dnt eat any animal priduct that invilves animals being killed. I dnt eat Fish or egg but I have dairy products. Fish is meat.
Reply 43
Original post by physicsmaths
I dnt eat any animal priduct that invilves animals being killed. I dnt eat Fish or egg but I have dairy products. Fish is meat.

The dairy industry is arguably worse than the meat industry.
Original post by 1RM
The dairy industry is arguably worse than the meat industry.

How is that?
They kill the animal then squish it for the milk?
Reply 45
How is that?

Google it kid.

I personally eat meat and dairy everyday so im not fussed but just making the point of those who don't eat meat to try and save animals....They're still paying so that more animals like cows are force bred, stamped on, and killed when useless.
Reply 46
Original post by Juichiro
If I insist that I am vegetarian even though I eat any type of meat, would you believe me?

i believe that you are a carnivore, by definition from google, a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat
Original post by thefatone
i believe that you are a carnivore, by definition from google, a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat

That's my point. If some folk tell you that they are vegetarians AND they eat meat, they are lying.
Reply 48
Original post by jawsontheflooor
i just had such a nice sea bass for dinner

i like sea bass, it's very tasty
Others also think that the Earth is 6K years old. It's not a matter of belief. It is a fact. It's simply not possible think differently unless you come up with evidence that shows that there is nothing between the bones and skin of most fish.

I believe OP might think that way if she wants to call herself vegetarian but still wants to eat fish. So she tries to consider fish non-animals so she can eat them. :rolleyes:

stupid fundamentalists >.> but the things is all they'll do is say faith brings me through to believe this etc etc
ahem! nope. I eat lots of meat(well really mainly fish chicken and pork) however i was insterested in how some vegetarians who call themselves vegetarians although they eat fish.

so you don't eat eggs which are produced by chickens? but you drink milk produced by cows????
How is that?

pls no...
That's my point. If some folk tell you that they are vegetarians AND they eat meat, they are lying.

or maybe mis-informed...
we know they're lying but they themselves don't xD
Original post by Lacesso
I can't believe it's not butter.

Well, it's not butter. It's fish. Believe it.
How is that?

Talking about the meat industry and the milk industry as separate institutions isn't all that useful as they are very closely intertwined. When a dairy cow reaches the end of her working career, she is slaughtered for beef; when a dairy cow gives birth to a male calf (i.e. one that cannot produce milk) it is immediately slaughtered for veal.
Original post by Inexorably
Yes it's meat and on a similar note I find Pescetarianism incredibly non-sensical on moral grounds; not preference grounds.

People might think that the lives of fish are worth less because they are less related to us and aren't considered intelligent. This would give some grounds for a moral argument.

This. I voted yes for the title and didn't even see the poll question.
Original post by morgan8002
People might think that the lives of fish are worth less because they are less related to us and aren't considered intelligent. This would give some grounds for a moral argument..

That does not necessarily hold though - there are probably many examples of sea creatures that are quite intelligent and subjectively ''more intelligent'' than certain land animals.

Furthermore based on that reasoning, one would not be able to object if I ate a baby chick that had been born only a few hours earlier, since it is most likely going to be a lot less ''intelligent'' than adult chickens and many other animals.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'd still disagree with anyone who said that :tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
That does not necessarily hold though - there are probably many examples of sea creatures that are quite intelligent and subjectively ''more intelligent'' than certain land animals.

Furthermore based on that reasoning, one would not be able to object if I ate a baby chick that had been born only a few hours earlier, since it is most likely going to be a lot less ''intelligent'' than adult chickens and many other animals.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'd still disagree with anyone who said that :tongue:

Yeah there are. You could restrict them out of your diet too.

There is the potential of the chick to become more intelligent though, which is extinguished when you kill it.

Fair enough. I don't fully agree with it myself.
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah there are. You could restrict them out of your diet too.

There is the potential of the chick to become more intelligent though, which is extinguished when you kill it.

Fair enough. I don't fully agree with it myself.

You could but then I feel like your moral reasoning would be ''dying the death of 1000 qualifications'' x)

That is a fair point, but I still stand by that there are many intelligent sea creatures and moreso that intelligence is objectively difficult to quantify.

Good :tongue:
Yes, I think fish is meat.

But in some contexts, the word "meat" might specifically refer to red meat. For example, a lot of Indian restaurants make a distinction between "chicken curry", which is obviously made of chicken, and a "meat curry", which is usually made of lamb or mutton. In this instance, chicken doesn't count as "meat", and so fish wouldn't either.
Reply 56
why wouldn't fish be meat? like what else would that stuff be called? Fish matter?
i think the moral ground is that most fish that is eaten by pescatarians has been free their whole lives until they were caught rather than animals like pig cows and chicken which are kept in captivity
Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 11.45.48.png
Fɪsʜ. Is. Mᴇᴀᴛ.

Latest

Trending

Trending